Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2006 5:09:19 PM EDT
Figured I'd drop by and say Hi, since hopefully soon enough I'll be a part of the EMS system. But I do have a question, that I can't seem to find any answers to anywhere and figured someone here might be able to aim me in the right direction. Do EMT-B/I/P certs recipricate with other states? Or do you ahve to take a state test for where ever you plan on moving to?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:18:54 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Figured I'd drop by and say Hi, since hopefully soon enough I'll be a part of the EMS system. But I do have a question, that I can't seem to find any answers to anywhere and figured someone here might be able to aim me in the right direction. Do EMT-B/I/P certs recipricate with other states? Or do you ahve to take a state test for where ever you plan on moving to?

Strictly dependent on the individual State. Some have reciprocity, others merely require passing a 'challenge' exam, and others do not recognize it at all. Best bet is to reserch the info at the respective State's Health/EMS department website.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:11:34 PM EDT
[#2]
As a general rule, National Registry will get you "in the door" - as to whether or not the states will automatically grant you a ticket or not is up to them, but usually they'll at least let you sit with proctor for a license exam.

<op-ed>
With Paramedic, it's a little different, since you're operating "directly" under the license of a physician (for ALS skills and meds), each Emergency Medical System is run by it's own MD - called the Project Medical Director.

Think of the old mideaval days where each guy with a castle was "king" as far as his army reached. That's the way thie fiefdom of EMS's are around the country today.

Some PMD's are awesome - former .mil, or at least agressive trauma huntin' shoot-n-scoot white stuff on red stuff guys. Then there are the original PMD's - back in the "Johnny and Roy" days right after the White Paper, when the emphasis was on rapid cardiac care. They don't know BTLS from DKNY, and are more concerned with getting a SAMPLE hx than the fact that you were getting shot at. But as they retire, the gung-ho guys are moving in.

<op-ed off>
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:16:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Howdy
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:06:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

JoeyA...In Florida (as far as I know) there is only EMT B. (This may have changed since I went through EMT school years ago)
Are you planning on going to fire school?...If so, my department is hiring like CRAZY right now, and will be continuing the trend for the next couple of years. www.slcfd.com
A little north of where you are...but a good dept to work at, and (as you will soon find out) it can be hard to get hired in this line of work.

To answer your original question...
I am not entirely sure about EMT, but when I graduated PARAMEDIC school (years ago)...There were alot of other states that either accepted a Florida certification flat out, or would let you challenge their state test.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 2:03:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

JoeyA...In Florida (as far as I know) there is only EMT B. (This may have changed since I went through EMT school years ago)
Are you planning on going to fire school?...If so, my department is hiring like CRAZY right now, and will be continuing the trend for the next couple of years. www.slcfd.com
A little north of where you are...but a good dept to work at, and (as you will soon find out) it can be hard to get hired in this line of work.

I am not entirely sure about EMT, but when I graduated PARAMEDIC school (years ago)...There were alot of other states that either accepted a Florida certification flat out, or would let you challenge their state test.

thanks I'll definatly look into that, and yes you assumed right, I will be going to medic school about 6mo or so after I get out of EMT classes then on to Fire school.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:12:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks I'll definatly look into that, and yes you assumed right, I will be going to medic school about 6mo or so after I get out of EMT classes then on to Fire school.

My advice would be to go to fire school before medic school...Put in applications as soon as you finish fire school.
MANY departments (mine included) will hire you as a FF/EMT, and then PAY for you to go to medic school.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:54:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My advice would be to go to fire school before medic school...Put in applications as soon as you finish fire school.
MANY departments (mine included) will hire you as a FF/EMT, and then PAY for you to go to medic school.

Thanks, I didn't think about that, I was contemplating on getting a job with AMR, I was told by a buddy that they would work around your school schedule, and dependant on what your grades were, help you out with tuition/books, I was contemplating doing that, but the FF/EMT sounds like it would be an easier route.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top