Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/13/2006 10:55:26 AM EDT
Why is it that when you use a benefit like sick leave your superisors act like you're brokering the municipality , and if you show up sick, they yell at you for not using SL?

Not talking about <cough><cough> baseball or golf fever, talking about real URI type antibiotic gettin' productive cough sick.

My chief and shift commander are REMF tools. [pissed

<rant off> Get back to work.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:56:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, there are types who abuse sick leave and then there are types who show up sick no matter what.

Hard to nail the abusers without proof, so as a supervisor you have to be on their back constantly about it. Also it's no good dragging yourself to work when you really should stay home. I appreciate the effort, but it's no good putting yourself and others at risk when you're not 100% fit or spreading something contagious around.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Of course there are all different shades of gray in between and your supervisors might really be REMFs.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Well I know one of my Sgt. over uses his sick leave, and all his other days off.  I bet in the few years I have been around, he has not worked his normal 4 day in a row shift.  Always takes comp time, sick leave, PTO or something.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 3:58:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, if you arrest anyone, make sure you cough on 'em.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:12:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I was spoken to about my use of sick time last year, I used 6 days .

I have a nasty and cough and went in this morning. I then teased my supervisor telling him what a bad concept "presenteeism" is because when I am done infecting my co-workers it it going to cost them probably 10 sick days when my whole shift gets sick because of me.

I'm such an asshole    
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 8:27:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Well, if you arrest anyone, make sure you cough on 'em.

Wish I was working Haz Mat Enforcement... this is on the FD/EMS side.

We're around sick folks, but then they get mad when we get sick.

Fargin' arseholes.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:25:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah

If I call in my supervisors try to play the guilt trip.  I have only called in sick 3 times since I have worked here.  Once because of getting my wisdom teeth pulled
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:53:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Why is it that people only wind up getting sick on the busiest fucking full moon Friday night of the whole fucking year when we're already short staffed?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top