Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/30/2006 8:49:30 PM EDT
Well I have a week, and then we have our annualy PAT test.  If we pass we get 3 extra vacation days.  If not we have one more chance to pass it second try, then we are put on probation.

Well i tested today, I have my run just about where it should be, pushups no problem, but..........situps yeah, I NEED SOME HELP!!

I have never been good at sit-ups anyways, and just barely passed before.

Any tips?

Do other departments require an annual PAT?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:29:24 PM EDT
[#1]
bounce your back off the ground. for the last few, pick your butt up off the ground, then slam it down as you are driving your upper body forward. lousy technique, won't get your abs in shape, but might get you past your sticking point for the test.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:29:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't hold your breath.  When you go up, breath out and when you go down breath in.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:17:40 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Well I have a week, and then we have our annualy PAT test.  If we pass we get 3 extra vacation days.  If not we have one more chance to pass it second try, then we are put on probation.

Well i tested today, I have my run just about where it should be, pushups no problem, but..........situps yeah, I NEED SOME HELP!!

I have never been good at sit-ups anyways, and just barely passed before.

Any tips?

Do other departments require an annual PAT?

Just barely passing is passing.  Don't worry unless your just barely failing.   After five months IN the academy I still could only do 32 situps in a minute.  I got faster, doing them in 45 seconds,but couldn't get the number up any higher.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:36:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow. There aren't many Departments around here that have an annual physical. Good on yall.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 1:23:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah it sucks.  I hate it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:59:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Some of it is work smarter not harder.
Like for our test we had the option to put our hands behind our head or on our ears. Elbows have to touch the knees. Think about that for a second, if you put your hands behind your head you have to sit up a bit further than if you put them on your ears. Also if you can maintain your momentum, do it. If you are doing your situps on a pad if you come down properly you can bounce yourself back up so you don't have to overcome static friction every rep.

When I did my situps I know that if I do them a bit more slowly I can do them all day. So I just rolled myself up instead of pulling hard on my abs and bursting up. Just a constant, even pace. Got out 50 in a minute and could have easily kept going. Some people do better lots of force little time, some do better less force over a longer time.

Something else I did to prepare for ours is I started doing situps that were harder than were needed for the test. Like I would suspend myself off my bed so I was sitting up on an incline and had to support the weight of my upper body the whole time with my abs (my torso was hanging off the bed and I was balancing myself). When I showed up for the test day the situps they had me do seemed really easy in comparison.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:01:48 PM EDT
[#7]
What I found that really helped me get the situps done on my test was working on the negative.  Do the situp and then go down as slowly as you possibly can and really feel the burning in your abs.  Do 25-35 reps like this, or untill you can't do them anylonger.  Make sure and give your abs a day or two to heal before your test though.  Or you may not be able to do any.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:51:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Yeah it sucks.  I hate it.

But it's good for the department.  I wish my department required a physical test annually!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#9]
It is a good thign to keep the guys in shape and so we dont look like slobs out there.

The bad part is when you slack off all year, and then its time to take it again and have to worry about it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:13:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It is a good thign to keep the guys in shape and so we dont look like slobs out there.

The bad part is when you slack off all year, and then its time to take it again and have to worry about it.

You should never slack off unless your nursing a injury. My BLE67 SIR! class cut the transfers and women some slack but thats it.First 10yrs annual PT test. Think about it....you never know when its going to be "that stop".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top