Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2006 6:00:48 PM EDT
Finished up on Monday. Starting solo on Friday evening shift. It was a pretty good time. Had one balls to the wall guy that was hard on you. I spoke my mind many times and bucked horns a few times as well. He would tell me the things I did wrong and I would tell him the things I observed that he did wrong. Kind of surprised him but I usually speak my mind no matter who it is.

The other guy was as laid back as you can find. We laughed together all shift but got the job done. He's already someone I can call a friend. A true old school cop who truly gets into it. Lots of fun with him.

On Monday after I turned in the paperwork for the day and my primary gave me my final release to sign. I was in shock he wrote that I was the most productive guy he ever had. He's the lead FTO so he always  has one. It gave me a good feeling I will admit. We got into a lot together and I learned a bunch. He always kinda threw me into the fire so I can learn it as I went.

Bottom line- I learned a lot and still have a lot to learn but I'm ready for it...
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:12:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Congratulations. As an FTO I've always found it easier to take it easy on a trainee, unless he needs a good kick in the ass, they learn more that way. The streets, new job, supervisors and idiots put enough stress on the new guys.

You impressed your FTO, you should be proud of that, its not an easy thing to do.

BTW: the day you know it all is the day you need to retire.

Welcome to the family, good luck and stay safe.  

MPD165
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:21:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:09:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Best of Luck on your first shift.

Welcome to the brotherhood, and like MPD165 said, when you know it all, retire.

You will learn everyday until then, trust me.

Be Safe

Post after your first shift
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:58:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Congrats.  It felt retarded the first time I went out by myself.  Then I started punching days and going call to call.  Onviewing weird stuff and getting into stuff because I was driving around my disrict and not holed up somewhere.  It makes the learning go faster if you get into stuff.

It's a lot of fun, especially if your squad is accepting of you early.  I was lucky in that regard and only have 2 more weeks until my probation ends.  

Keep having fun and don't let officers with bad attitudes ruin your day.  We will have our bitter period later and why start it prematurely.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:21:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Good luck. Nothing like that feeling of climbing into the car the first time by yourself.

Stay safe.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:25:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Congrats bro, wish I knew the feeling.  After our FTO program, we have to ride with a Journeyman for another 4 months and then pass our 10 month exam, we get to ride solo.  Passed my 10 month exam this week but I got my thumb caught up in a high lift jack a couple of weeks back, so I get to spend my first few months "solo" working light duty in the garage.  Meanwhile, my classmates are living it up.  

Anyway, congrats again.  Stay safe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top