Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2006 7:04:06 PM EDT
My department is looking at getting a new incident based reporting system, as well as get labtops for all cruisers.  I have one in my car, so now everyone else wants them.  

I was wondering what you guys may use for systems, and I also heard there was one that you could download offline for free that is a good one.  If anyone can find the link or let me know about your systems so I can check them out I would appreciate it.

Be Safe
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:23:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure exactly what your looking for but, I tried this when I worked in the schools.  Easy to use once you get going.  My department liked it so much they now use it to track all kinds of cases not just at the school.  The search function stuff is great once you have all your dirt bags entered.  Best of all its free.  Put you city map in it instead of a school and knock yourself out.      

www.schoolcopsoftware.com

Oh, and the bosses love all the damm charts and graphs it can put out.  Although the troops will hate the time management stuff in it.  I chose not to mention that to the bosses, but they found it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:28:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Im going to check it out thanks

but will it work for everyday police incident reporting
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:35:47 AM EDT
[#3]
We use Motorola's LRMS or Infotrak.

They will customize it to your needs.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:39:10 PM EDT
[#4]
We use OSSI at my department. It also allows you to share information with other agencies using OSSI. Its not free though.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:33:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

The schoolcop program was designed to be used in.....well schools.  However, we use it to track incidents all over town.  The detectives use it to track how much time they spend on cases.    Instead of importing school diagrams, import your town and you can track evreything from ordinance violations to any felony.  You can make it fit mostly whatever you need.

However, if you are working in a large town I would pay to have a real system up and running, but for small towns on a small budget it works ok.  Download it and play around, if you do not like it your not out any money.    

Edit;  Oh wait a second, Are your talking about a dispatch system like CAD where your need something to generate a report number?  Or do you want to track cases and crime trends that have already been given a report number?    
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:04:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
We use OSSI at my department. It also allows you to share information with other agencies using OSSI. Its not free though.

+1 for OSSI here.  We went with the full and complete OSSI package back in 2003.  MFR (Mobile Field Reporting), RMS, CAD, even JMS (Jail) and all that.  Ain't bad stuff.  Pain in the neck sometimes, but it works.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:45:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The schoolcop program was designed to be used in.....well schools.  However, we use it to track incidents all over town.  The detectives use it to track how much time they spend on cases.    Instead of importing school diagrams, import your town and you can track evreything from ordinance violations to any felony.  You can make it fit mostly whatever you need.

However, if you are working in a large town I would pay to have a real system up and running, but for small towns on a small budget it works ok.  Download it and play around, if you do not like it your not out any money.    

Edit;  Oh wait a second, Are your talking about a dispatch system like CAD where your need something to generate a report number?  Or do you want to track cases and crime trends that have already been given a report number?    

Our dispatch has a different system than us cuz we use a county dispatch, and we really cant afford their system, but would like something a little more up to date than ours and I heard there were decent ones online to download and play with.

I am experiementing with the school cop one, but I am having trouble putting in a map, because I dont have a hard copy one and all i can find is ones online, but i cant figure out how to put it in.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:48:30 AM EDT
[#8]
One of our MIS guys did ours.  I think he called the support number for help to get the map in.  My computer skills are lacking.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:54:41 AM EDT
[#9]
ag
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:23:02 AM EDT
[#10]
DON'T repeat DON'T get USA Software.  We use this and it sucks!  You are supposed to be able to switch between applications seamlessly  and search between different databases (i.e. Ivestigative case management/tracking, patrol incident reporting, Master Name files, Pawn files etc.) but it doesn't work.  

I can't recommend any, but I can definitely tell you that there have to be better ones out there than this one.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:23:42 PM EDT
[#11]
We have a dictation system.  I call in, give the case number...dictate my narrative..then give info on victims and suspects (name, ssn, address, etc..).  It is awesome.  I know it might seem kinda outa reach or maybe impractical for smaller departments, but for a larger agency it saves tons of time and $.  Gives me more time for proactivity instead of coding reports.  I can also hammer out several report calls in a row if things are really busy, then go back and call them in all at once.

Might not actually be a bad idea for a smaller agency now I think about it.  This might be a good project for someone lookin to catch the eye of management.

Everything is then stored on the AS400 and accessible anytime.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:25:05 PM EDT
[#12]
The dictation idea sounds ok, but how do you remember all the info from each event??

Wait, you right it down, right?

Why they wouldn't just have you type it into a computer doesn't make sense. Just as much work sitting there listening to the story and it is very easy to type in the details.

We are trying to go with all reports as computerized, but the laptop budget is not what it should be.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top