Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2006 2:54:52 PM EDT
When taking a voluntery statement, basically filing a complaint about a pet attack, can an officer refuse to give his name?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:33:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm sorry,  I don't understand the question?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:35:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Legally??? Yes...

Dept. policy may differ from that.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:47:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, the basic story is.  A friend of mine, his neighbor had someone elses dog attack his little dog and mess it up pretty bad.  He filed a complaint, and the officer responding is one of our local known asshat officers.  Not speaking ill of all our officers, this guy is just a known jerk.  Anyways, he was being somewhat beligerant, and when asked for his name he refused to give it.  I was just wondering if he could do that.  Especially where a formal complaint was being filed about his conduct.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:17:24 AM EDT
[#4]
If he's a "known asshat" then I'm sure you or someone you know has his name. Also, he probably wears a nametag. What exactly did he do that was so bad?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:36:22 AM EDT
[#5]
He was my DARE officer when I was younger.  All he would talk about is how we should all be little sheeple and do whatever he says is The Law, he would harrass people that didn't agree with him, he would give favors to his buddies, he's even seized stuff without provocation or probabl cause.  Me and my buddy knew his name, and gave it to the neighbor who did file a complaint, that will probably get ignored.  Later today I'm gonna try and get an update.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:29:59 PM EDT
[#6]
He would be in big trouble at my dept. for violation of policy, I say report him.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:20:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
He would be in big trouble at my dept. for violation of policy, I say report him.

I would make a bet on it. No matter what he did, if someone asks for his name I will bet he violated his department policy if he did not give it. The fact that he did not give it makes me feel that there was some kind of problem. Anytime someone asks for my name, I give them my business card with my badge number and give them a number to my supervisor. I have no problem with someone filing a complaint.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:38:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Sorry, but an officer would be required to identify himself (name) when asked. Doesn't have to be a dept policy. But I know of no dept out that  wouldn't have such a policy (requested id) for their dept.

Due to all the false LEO's pulling people over, especially women, if a the person pulled over feels uncomfortable the first thing they are told to ask for his name and/or ID.

The same would apply to the officer responding to a call.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:45:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:37:45 AM EDT
[#10]
We don't have badge numbers.  Every year I get someone (usually a woman) that doesn't believe me and keeps on insisting that I give them a badge number.....so sometimes I'll just make one up.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:50:17 AM EDT
[#11]
If your friend contacted the dispatch to have an officer or deputy dispatched to the scene then there will be a record in CAD of who showed up.  Not a big deal.   They can figure it out fairly easily.

Sounds like an ongoing grudge.  "this guy is just a known jerk. Anyways, he was being somewhat beligerant"    I wasn't there so I don't know.   So I'm not monday morning QB'ing.

He can refuse all he wants BTW. Doesn't make it right though.  Did he violate some policy?  Unknown.  

Personally I have no prob giving out name and ID number.  Badge number doesn't mean a thing around my parts.  FYI.

Hope your friends dog is ok.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:03:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
We don't have badge numbers.  Every year I get someone (usually a woman) that doesn't believe me and keeps on insisting that I give them a badge number.....so sometimes I'll just make one up.

So... do you use 87 or 69 ?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top