Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2006 5:34:47 PM EDT
I am processing with a local police dept and have to take a polygraph. I'm squeaky clean but I'm nervious because I've never done one before. I wondering if anyone has any tips or info that might help me stay calm for my test? Thanks
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:37:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:48:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't lie...
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:32:25 AM EDT
[#3]
If you've been honest throughout the process and continue to be honest during the polygraph, all you have to do is make sure you breathe consistently.

If you don't, and you hyperventilate, you will pass out.  Passing out during the poly is a bad thing.  At least that's what the polygrapher told me after he related such a story to me.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:01:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If you've been honest throughout the process and continue to be honest during the polygraph, all you have to do is make sure you breathe consistently.

If you don't, and you hyperventilate, you will pass out.  Passing out during the poly is a bad thing.  At least that's what the polygrapher told me after he related such a story to me.

Did he relate this story to you *prior* to administering a poly to you?

Or just a story between buds?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:55:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Just be sure to tell the truth
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:46:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't read-up anywhere. Don't google it. In fact, stop reading this thread. Seriously.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:06:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Don't read-up anywhere. Don't google it. In fact, stop reading this thread. Seriously.

I'm realizing this is probably the best advise yet (other than the tell the truth).
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:06:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Enjoy.  Polygraph isn't as painful as being OC'd & Tasered.   That's probably in your future once you get over this hurdle.

Remember:  The only easy day was yesterday.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:16:11 PM EDT
[#9]
poly ....just relax...breathe calmly and focus.  I took a few when I lived in DC...first was the worse. taught myself to find something on wall to focus on and helped to control my nervousness.  had to start over one time i was so relaxed it messed it up so another hour or two was needed.

above all tell the truth...
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:39:13 PM EDT
[#10]
In the words of the immortal George Costanza, "it's not a lie if YOU believe it!"
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:26:14 PM EDT
[#11]
<.....................what jbombelli said!  

I've taken a few. They always ask their 1st round of questions w/o graph going. 2nd round is hooked up. I breathed regularly and answered on the exhale.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:38:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Just let them know right off the bat if it doesn't pertain to the specific incident they can go ahead and fail ya now. imo
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:04:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Just relax. Remember to breathe and exhale evenly, Have a decent meal before the test. And like all the others said TELL THE TRUTH.

Sigmonster
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:08:20 PM EDT
[#14]
yea, just chll out and tell the absolute truth.  They aren't looking for perfect angels.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:41:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Take a valium
Just kidding..does that really work?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:40:07 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
yea, just chll out and tell the absolute truth.  They aren't looking for perfect angels.

Within reason, of course.  I'd advise against confessing to any unsolved murders.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:47:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Yeah don't read my post, because I "failed" a poly  being 100% truthful , they are bullshit.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:54:42 PM EDT
[#18]
What does it matter, they don't actually do anything.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:33:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was after he told me I passed.  He also asked about  "discrepency" in the readings on my drug history.  My drug history was very minor but a old timer told me to lie as, even though the policy reads that my history was no problem, that they would never hire someone with that in their history.

He asked if anything was "bothering me about my drug history?"  I said yes, related what the old timer told me, that I decided that I wasn't going to lie and that if they didn't hire me despite the written policy then at least I'd be out after telling the truth and it wouldn't be because I lied.

He liked that answer and then began the chummy talk.  That story about the kid passing out also included same kid mentioning, just after the EMS guys awoke him, that he 'always passes out when he gets nervous."  Hahaha!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:05:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was after he told me I passed.  He also asked about  "discrepency" in the readings on my drug history.  My drug history was very minor but a old timer told me to lie as, even though the policy reads that my history was no problem, that they would never hire someone with that in their history.

He asked if anything was "bothering me about my drug history?"  I said yes, related what the old timer told me, that I decided that I wasn't going to lie and that if they didn't hire me despite the written policy then at least I'd be out after telling the truth and it wouldn't be because I lied.

He liked that answer and then began the chummy talk.  That story about the kid passing out also included same kid mentioning, just after the EMS guys awoke him, that he 'always passes out when he gets nervous."  Hahaha!

Oh, OK.  My first thought was that he might have told you that *before* the poly to try and get you nervous.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:25:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Well, I made it through and it wasn't bad at all. Much shorter and simpler than I was expecting.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:20:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Well, I made it through and it wasn't bad at all. Much shorter and simpler than I was expecting.

Congrats, you must be getting very close to signing on the dotted line? Medical next?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:35:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Psychological next. Then PAT, physical and drug screen. I hear the psych will make you nuts even if you aren't to start with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top