Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2006 8:42:18 AM EDT
Well, at least for a short while.  Been about 6 years since I was on the streets.  

We're very short handed on patrol, so they wanted a detective to come work patrol for a while. I've been pretty burned out and needed a break, so my boss asked me. You bet I jumped at the chance.

Starting next week, I'll be back on night shift - in uniform!!

Don't be coming through Henderson at night!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:47:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:52:30 AM EDT
[#2]

Oh yeah!!!!  Well ya ain't gonna catch me!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:57:32 AM EDT
[#3]
nothing wrong with heading back to patrol for a change

be safe
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:11:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Sometimes getting back to basics is great therapy..
Don't come though at night?..not up for a cup of joe with a brother?

Man, if you make it all the way down here from Canada... I'll buy you What-a-Burger.  A double cheeseburger, even.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:29:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Remember,  Be Safe.  Take it easy til you get your night eyes back.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:20:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Mebbe he means "don't come through at night - if your skin is dark"...... after all, Henderson's way out in East Texas.

Kidding (sort of).  I haven't been out that way in ages, so I might be talking out of my ass WRT present day.

He probably meant "don't come through at night - if you're speeding".
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:22:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Man, if you make it all the way down here from Canada... I'll buy you What-a-Burger.  A double cheeseburger, even.

Striker, you may not know exactly what that means, but let me tell you this: A double cheeseburger from What-a-Burger ain't cheap!

You could spend less flying (or on gas, driving) down to take him up on his offer!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:20:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:54:20 AM EDT
[#9]
WiseJake, hell, it don't matter if you're black, white, brown, red or whatever.  There's only two kinds of folks out late at night, cops and crooks.  If you ain't a cop, you must be a crook.   I'm not prejudice, I suspect everybody.  

Seriously, I don't play those race games.  Nothin' ticks me off more than racism, except maybe somebody assuming I'm racists because I'm a white cop in East Texas (no offense meant.)  I had a rider, an older white female, with me one night.  We were driving through the "ghetto", and she makes a comment about it being "ni**** town".  I told her i wasn't comfortable with that language, turned and went to the station and told my Sgt. (who by the way is black)  She left my car and I never saw her again.  

Stiker, Henderson is close to Dallas.  Only about 2 1/2 hours away.  I doubt you drove through it, though.  It's kind of off the beaten path.  It's about thirty minutes east of Tyler.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:19:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Have fun, but more importantly be careful.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:10:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
WiseJake, hell, it don't matter if you're black, white, brown, red or whatever.  There's only two kinds of folks out late at night, cops and crooks.  If you ain't a cop, you must be a crook.   I'm not prejudice, I suspect everybody.  

Seriously, I don't play those race games.  Nothin' ticks me off more than racism, except maybe somebody assuming I'm racists because I'm a white cop in East Texas (no offense meant.)  I had a rider, an older white female, with me one night.  We were driving through the "ghetto", and she makes a comment about it being "ni**** town".  I told her i wasn't comfortable with that language, turned and went to the station and told my Sgt. (who by the way is black)  She left my car and I never saw her again.  

Stiker, Henderson is close to Dallas.  Only about 2 1/2 hours away.  I doubt you drove through it, though.  It's kind of off the beaten path.  It's about thirty minutes east of Tyler.

DasBoot, no offense taken.  I actually didn't know you were white until you said so.

Seriously though, it seems like just about every Texas town has a "ni**** town" (usu. defined by the older folks who grew up segregation-era).  That whole "you fear what you don't know/understand" mentality.

My mom was born in Vidor (which I know isn't exactly a stone's throw from Henderson.....).  From what I hear, even it's getting better.

Little bit of trivia..... the last time I was in East Texas for any period of time was a couple years ago for a family reunion in the Golden Triangle.  The *second* to last time I stayed in East Texas was........ [IIRC] in Henderson, of all places!

Keep fightin' the good fight, man!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:37:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Whoops!  Not Henderson..... Hawkins!  They're both towns that start with "H" about 30mi from Tyler.  And it's been a couplea years!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:46:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Good luck bro, time to buy one of those new fangled special flashlights now.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:10:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey DasBoot I'm just down the road from you (sort of speak). I work for Anderson County.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:31:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#16]
You wouldn't pull an ambulance over would you?
The service I work for covers Henderson, and while I don't work at that station, we post there occasionally.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 10:06:48 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Man, if you make it all the way down here from Canada... I'll buy you What-a-Burger(Water-Rat).  A double cheeseburger, even.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:07:40 PM EDT
[#18]
P806: "Good luck bro, time to buy one of those new fangled special flashlights now"  My thoughts exactly!  I done been laying the ground work with Mrs. Boot.  Any suggestions?

Hey, TXDeputy.  Nice to hear from you.  If you swing through Henderson in the next few months at night, stop by and will have some coffee.  

Glock918: Man, they've changed the ticket book twice since I've written one.  I'm going to have to go back through FTO program just to learn it all.  

ZootTX:  You work for Champion?  Heck no, I wouldn't mess with the guys that my save my bacon one night.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:11:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:48:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.danger-seekers.com/2002/images/supertroopers1.jpg

Heh, heh, heh.....

I know it's not what he meant, but that was pretty close to what I was thinking:

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:06:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Don't let him fool you, Striker, Whataburger is free for the guys in uniform.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:22:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Wonder if that's official policy or just in the small towns?  It was like that where I grew up.

Trivia for the night: Corpus Christi, TX is the "Home of the What-a-Burger".
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:16:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Well guys, wish me luck.  I go on  at 10p.  I'm pretty excited and a little nervous.  I've spent most of the day getting ready.   This ought to be a hoot.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:47:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Well guys, wish me luck.  I go on  at 10p.  I'm pretty excited and a little nervous.  I've spent most of the day getting ready.   This ought to be a hoot.

Obviously, I wouldn't know, but I hear you've gotta shoot a dog the first day or become somebody's bitch.

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:59:27 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Not policy.  Big town, 50% off.  Small town, free.

pat
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:01:12 PM EDT
[#26]
What-a-Burger. Man do I miss the jalapeno cheese-burgers.

you had to bring that up didn't you?

Be safe on the street. I hope you can get your coffee finger un-crooked enough to work.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Well guys, got through the first two nights.  First night I felt like a total noobie running around.  Couldn't find all the dang buttons.  What's up with this new camera thing-a-ma-jiggy??  Stopped one ole' boy for running a red light.  Go up to give him a warning.  Fill in the ticket and go to explain it to him and ask him to sign....uhhhh, where the heck do you sign this thing?  Luckily, he knew where to sign.  I totally felt like a fish out of water.

Second night everything started clicking.  Wrote some tickets, took some reports.  Still haven't jacked nobody up yet.  I backed up the Sgt.  on a young hispanic male who tried to duck and hide on him behind a car lot.  I got there as the Sgt.  was starting to try and run his name and DOB.  I looked at the boy and told him to stop lying.  Two minutes later, he was crying and done fessed up his real name and he was only fifteen, not eighteen.  Kinda freaky, because the boy admitted to being in the same grade as my boy.   The Sgt. was like damn...  I told him "that's how we do it 'Old School".  
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:43:29 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not policy.  Big town, 50% off.  Small town, free.

pat

They must not extend that courtesy to EMS personnel because they always charge us full price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top