Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2006 5:53:15 AM EDT
Guys, I need to get a few fire ladders for the second floor bedrooms in my house.  I figured you guys would know which ones are best and which to stay away from.  Any advice?

Thanks,
hd92
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:11:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Make sure that you have enough working smoke alarms in your house.  It does take awhile for a fire to really build and it will be producing enough smoke to set off your alarms, giving you enough time to get your family out of the building using the safe and secure stairs.  I would rather rely upon the stairs than risking a fall from an emergency ladder. BUT, having a roll up emergency ladder that hangs from your window ledge would be a nice alternative escape plan should things rapidly escalate.  That being said, I am sure that there are others here that can suggest a make and model of emergency ladder for your use.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:03:14 AM EDT
[#2]
A BIG +1 for smoke detectors.

Minimum - one on each level of your house.

Better - One on each level, interconnected (one detects smoke and alerts, they all go off)

Best - One in each sleeping area / bedroom, then one on each other level as well, all interconnected.

Roll up ladders are good as "last ditch" items - I've never used them, but I'd stick to a known brand like First Alert or Kidde, rather than the chinese generics on ebait.

And practice. Make sure everybody knows:

what the smoke alarm sounds like
what to do when it goes off (feel door for heat; make GO/NOGO decision; stay in place or alternate exit strategy)
How to exit - crawl under smoke, in the dark, etc.
where to meet once you're out.
And DO NOT GO BACK IN.

Remember the phrase "you fight like you train"? Well, you survive like you train as well.

If you've got little kids (baby/toddler) pre plan who's gonna go for which kid. Talk about 2nd means out if you're trapped in their room, and means of evac if needed. Do it now while it's still "what if" rather than when it turns into "WHAT NOW".
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:25:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got all that covered - smoke and CO detectors in every bedroom, plus one on each level, all interconnected.  Emergency plan is drilled monthly.

I just wanted to get ladders in the plan in case the stairway becomes engulfed.  There's only one way up/down, and if that becomes a nogo option, then it's out the window or we're screwed.  Can't believe I didn't think of it earlier.

Thanks,
hd92
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:24:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I've got all that covered - smoke and CO detectors in every bedroom, plus one on each level, all interconnected.  Emergency plan is drilled monthly.

I just wanted to get ladders in the plan in case the stairway becomes engulfed.  There's only one way up/down, and if that becomes a nogo option, then it's out the window or we're screwed.  Can't believe I didn't think of it earlier.

Thanks,
hd92

You'll go out the windows......ladders or no ladders!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#5]
When i was single, I had a window ladder that almost the reached the ground from second story. It was a chain-type ladder that remained in a box under the bed. It came from one of the hardware stores, as I remember. While it was better than jumping, it did take practice to get accustomed to the chain thing. It was awkward to manuever across the windowsill and get my feet placed correctly. It would certainly be a challenge to get young children down, in panic mode.
  Now I'm the father of two but live in a brick ranch. If we lived in a mult-story house, I might think about a multi-level deck or spiral staircase to a lower deck. That would naturally create a slight security concern as well.  HHMMmmmmmm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top