Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2006 1:10:22 PM EDT
I am looking for a light-source for my MDT. I am tired of having to swith on my squads interior light, in order to type and use the keyboard.

My PD issues Dell Latitude D600 laptops, so the keys are not backlite.

I do have a 3 plug accessory strip on passenger side of the center console. Two are used and I have one open.

I have seen some lights that plug into the accessory outlets and I have been told there are some that plug ijto the laptop's USB data port.

Any suggestsions what route to go?

Thanks and be safe.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:56:53 PM EDT
[#1]
If mounting the light may be a problem I'd go for the USB light.  Our dept has a goose neck type light mounted along the passegner side of the center raio console with a know to vary the intensity.  It's long enough tp put the light right over the center of the keyboard.  I like to use the  red bulb to keep in dark in the car.  I'm sneaky like that.

Try Galls or Dell.

This one looks like the best of both worlds.  Be safe.

galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=VP246
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:38:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been using an energizer battery brand head strap led light.  It has red and white light settings.  I just put the head strap around the laptop screen at the top and angle the lightsource at the key board.  I use Red light to keep my night vision intact.  Walmart has them for $11.00 and it comes with 3 AAA batteries.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:17:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I went to Best Buy and bought a USB light with a flexible arm for about $10. it has a low and high setting on it and provides more than enough light to use the keyboard.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:31:36 PM EDT
[#4]
The usb lights we used didn't hold up long..The plug for the usb would break in the laptop and pull out...I use a Little Lite now...Seems to work o.k.  They sell them in Gall's catalogue..
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:20:02 PM EDT
[#5]
If the keys on your comp are painted white why not put a blacklight in your car.  I have seen a couple of places do this and from what I have heard it make not only seeing your computer easier but writing tickets, accident reports etc a lot easier.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:26:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The usb lights we used didn't hold up long..The plug for the usb would break in the laptop and pull out...I use a Little Lite now...Seems to work o.k.  They sell them in Gall's catalogue..

My USB light is running strong.  Even survived a wreck where the air bags popped and broke the monitor to the laptop
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#7]
You could learn to type  Just kidding.  Typing on laptops or MDT's which are always at a bad angle sucks.  Switching on the dome light is just not smart as far as officer safety.  I usually use a boat load of electrical tape covering up the mobile video lights, MDT lights you cant turn off and the check engine light that seems to always be on.  I was going to suggest the USB light but someone mentioned it didn't last in the USB port.  I couldn't tell you where to get it but I saw a LED light that you clip onto books to read at night.  i would imagine they could clip onto your screen.  The LED light would not light up too much and you could always put some sort of filter on it.  It should be good on batteries too.  You could alow use it if you are writing thing out the old fashined way with a pen and clipboard.  Just throwing out another option.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top