Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2006 8:58:01 AM EDT
My brother and myself (not a ARFcom memeber) are considering the Fire Academy in our town this year.  Its a Volunteer Fire Department BTW.

He went thru the Police Academy when he was 20 and graduating right around his 21st birthday but didn't get hired.  The interviewing agencies said he was too young and wanted experience.

Is the interview and background check the same as the Police Academy?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:04:51 AM EDT
[#1]
On my department at least:  The background check is a simple records and driving history pull.  The interview makes sure that we don't get any real tools on that we have to deal with for years.  The biggest thing that we care about is the physical agility test.

We take everyone that makes it through the process, then we train them up and put them on the street.

If your brother still wants to do the LE thing than the VFD may well help him on his way.  You'll get to know alot of the cops from the calls you're both on and showing how well you work under stress and that you actually care about your community can never hurt during a PD interview.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:36:21 AM EDT
[#2]
most fire departments use a in-house voting process, i say this regarding vollunteer stations!
most vol. stations have very few people they can count on to come to calls usualy alot of fire calls they call for mutual aid right off, long story short most of the time unless they are filled to capacity and dont or can t afford the bunker gear  they are always looking for help. if you show your interests and are willing to commit to some training they will vote you in, they do a background but if you are of good moral charactor and not a major felony your in good luck, fire dep. are always looking for young bucks to grunt!
be prepaired to do some of the most demanding tasks, and take you training seriously, fire grounds are a bad place and it helps when you are in shape and are confident in what you were trained to do

bottom line is being a fire fighter is rewarding but also many dont know the horrid things you see! property damage, loss of life, injuries, you have to be the type ready to put himself in harms way for someone or something he has never seen before, there are alot of trainign you must do and you will find out you r first fire if it is for you, crawling into a burning house where you cant see your glove infront of your mask and temp soaring over 900 degrees will put things in perspective

basically i know i rambled on but this world needs more brothers and i hope you guys decide to take the ride. it is by far one of the best and most gratifying things i have ever done with my life,

good luck the best way to get your feet wet is to go to the station and meet the chief and sit and talk with him, the better he knows you before the voting the better you are, and be prepared for the best and worst exsperiences of your life,

amen brothers
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:52:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
On my department at least:  The background check is a simple records and driving history pull.  The interview makes sure that we don't get any real tools on that we have to deal with for years.  The biggest thing that we care about is the physical agility test.

We take everyone that makes it through the process, then we train them up and put them on the street.

If your brother still wants to do the LE thing than the VFD may well help him on his way.  You'll get to know alot of the cops from the calls you're both on and showing how well you work under stress and that you actually care about your community can never hurt during a PD interview.

Good luck.

Bellevue?????????????
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top