Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2006 7:33:48 PM EDT
My wife was pulled over yesterday for speeding. I was in the passenger seat holding our brand new 8 week old Great Dane pup. We were in a neighboring state that has a reciprocity agreement with my state.

The deputy couldn't decipher the contract for our rental car, so he asked for my license as well because I had rented the car, and my wife was just listed as an authorized driver. I handed him my DL with one hand and my CFP in the other, so that he could see both my hands. At the same time I told him, “I am a permit holder and I have a pistol in my right front pocket. What would you like me to do?"  In the back of my mind I was commending myself for how I was handling the situation

He said, “That's fine... just keep your hands out front.”

“No problem, deputy."

A moment later he was trying to find the phone number for the rental agency, and in my eagerness to be cooperative (the whole honey/vinegar thing) I said, "Oh I have the managers card" and reached for the exact same pocket I had just told him contained a pistol!

Very quickly he backup away, put his hand on his still-holstered gun and in a firm but still professional voice said, "Please keep those hands out front!"

I couldn't believe how shocked I was by my own stupidity. I began apologizing faster than the ranch hand caught with the farmer's daughter! And kept my hands firmly pressed into the dash until the "transaction" was completed.

I was impressed by this deputy’s training and self control. If you were to see us, you would never judge us a threat. And I doubt he did at first. BUT when a sign of a threat did emerge, he instantly elevated his alert, retreated slightly to put himself in a better tactical position and most of all… maintained control: of himself, us, and of the situation, keeping us all safe.

Good job, Deputy! Since I could not tell you I the above during the traffic stop (it would just sound like sucking up), I’m posting it here… just in case.  

But I also have a question for you peace officers out there. Would a letter to the deputy’s department commending him on his action and restraint be out of line? Would it be looked at as a snide comment from a bitter ticket getting (actually my wife got the ticket, but it all comes out of the same pocket)?

What say you?

A question for the mods... can I cross post this in the CC forum? Perhaps someone can learn from my sudden collapse into stupidity.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:13:49 PM EDT
[#1]
A letter is fine......it may be a shock coming from someone he cited though
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:01:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah a letter is fine, but he will probably read the letter and be dazied and confused and not know what this world is coming too.  Usually after we cite someone we dont get letters and if we do they are nasty letters.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:35:03 AM EDT
[#3]
ever try to fish a pistol out of you pocket when your sitting in a car?
it takes a while.  he has plenty of time to draw and pump about three rounds into you before you can "clear denim".  Top it off by saying he does this for a living and has a good feel for the danger level and what to do.  You might be impressed by what he did but then if he saw you doing something that you consider a chore at work you might impress him.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:28:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:28:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
ever try to fish a pistol out of you pocket when your sitting in a car?

Actually, yes. I practice it with the gun unloaded and in my garage. I figure it's as important a skill as drawing from a standing position.

And I doubt very much he would be impressed by anything in my profession. We're generally considered to be down there with lawyers and politicians.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:18:12 PM EDT
[#6]
A letter commenting on his professionalism would be just fine IMO
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top