Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2006 9:15:44 AM EDT
Application time.  My current company has pissed me off once too often and I just finished up my degree in Police Science.  The applications are going out to a few local agencies right now, kind of "testing the waters" so to speak.  I'm scheduled to take my first test on April 8.  A friend of mine has some books that are supposed to help you prepare for the LEO exams, do you think they would be worth borrowing or are the exams usually a "you know it or you don't" situation?  
In any case, I've got the degree, the clean record, a Spanish language background, good sense, and a desire to get out there and do some good.  Let's hope it's enough.  I'll keep y'all posted on my progress.  MJD
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:01:11 AM EDT
[#1]
IMHO, as long as you have a functional understanding of the Constitution and a good night's sleep, along with good reading skills, you'll do fine on the test.  I didn't study a blink for any of the tests I took, and never had any trouble with any of them.  Where people get bit in the butt is when they start reading too much (or too little) into the questions.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:14:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
IMHO, as long as you have a functional understanding of the Constitution and a good night's sleep, along with good reading skills, you'll do fine on the test.  I didn't study a blink for any of the tests I took, and never had any trouble with any of them.  Where people get bit in the butt is when they start reading too much (or too little) into the questions.

You make a good point.  All the way through school I would never study for any test.  That's elementary all the way through college and I wound up with a 3.89X GPA.  Why should I start studying now?  Do people wear pajamas to these tests like they do the SAT's?  I honestly hope not.  MJD
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:38:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Tests here seemed very similar to the ones I used to take in high school and blow out of the water, one of the tests had some law enforcement related stuff on there but nothing that can't be figured out fairly easily if you have a brain. Just use common sense and remember to judge the question based on what is there, not on what you think is there.

Even still, lost about half the other applicants in the written, half of the half in the physical the next day, and about a third of those that were left in the initial interview. Really whittled them down.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:58:57 PM EDT
[#4]
The test I had to take and pass before I could even apply for leo jobs was a joke.  It was the easiest test ever.  I just didnt think to much into it like some people do.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I took the initial Civil Service test about three weeks ago.  I am imagining that is the test of which you are speaking.  I am not supposed to talk about what is on it, so I won't.  But what I will say is, the test I took was fairly easy.  Nonetheless try to get a practice test to atleast familiarize yourself with the types of questions.  That should suffice.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:56:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess I'm the lone person who thinks the study guides are helpful.

They give you an idea of the types of tests.
Rationale behind them
Selection process
Interview tips
Point out common blunders.
etc.

They help take out some of the unknowns. ie mystery.

I'm a firm believer that knowledge is power.   It's like making a call.   You plan,  you plan B and you make another plan for when the SHTF (things aren't as expected)

When I took my 1st test some years ago, I was told that I had scored one of the highest scores they had seen to date.  I went through the selection process and was granted a slot in the academy.  I went on to graduate, not top but respectible upper 89%. Been on the street since.

Best of luck to you.

BTW I gave my study guide to a friend who's son-in-law used it and said it was helpful in his process.  He's a Texas State Trooper.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:49:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Do people wear pajamas to these tests like they do the SAT's?  I honestly hope not.  MJD

Not pajamas, but I have seen people show up with blue jeans and tee shirts to the tests.  You never know who is going to be at the test just "watching."  My department conducts the test and we usually have a Lt, Sgt, and a couple officers there.  We are a small department and talk about what we saw at the test, likes and dislikes.  The Lt then usually sits on the oral board and remembers those that were the point of discussion, good or bad.

My suggestion is to wear slacks/shirt/tie for any contact droping off applications, test, poly, psych.  When I dropped off my application I wound up talking to the detective who did my background.  I was glad I spent the time to dress appropriately.  Oral board - suit.  The PT test is just that, wear pt gear.  

If LE is at the test and/or PT you can be friendly if you like.  Just don't be a kiss ass or show off of what you know.  It will bite you.  You will have the opportunity to sell yourself at the oral board.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top