Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/28/2006 12:49:57 PM EDT
I usually drive with my cruise control set and pay attention to what I do, but that doesn’t help in a speed trap situation if it is clever and well planned.
I got nabbed this weekend in an OBVIOUS speed trap, going 70 in a 60.

As I usually treat officer’s w/respect (sincere respect) I have only rarely received anything other than a warning. However, this is outrageous, and the ticket is $200, and I thought I had my cruise control set at 72 in a 65 (posted speed after dusk) on HWY79 in Franklin Texas.

I'm considering getting POST certified in Texas, and I don’t want to step on any toes here by taking it to trial, but that is what I am preparing to do at this point unless someone of you brothers of the shield have some advice? My step-brother was LE, my step-dad was LE, my brother in law is current, and my uncle is as well… I guess it’s in my blood and I want to serve as a reservist.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:54:15 PM EDT
[#1]
So you thought you were only exceeding the speed limit by 7mph, how is that a speed trap?
How is the officer wrong?  You were nice to them so they should cut you a break?

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#2]
What is your definition of a speed trap? Explain what made this an 'OBVIOUS' speed trap...........
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:54:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Please explain the 'obvious' speed trap and how you weren't breaking the law by travelling 72 mph in a 65 mph zone?

Tagged

Brian
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:00:22 PM EDT
[#4]
sorry bud I think you posted in the wrong forum

I feel your pain, 200 is more than a bit excessive for 7 over.

<--- not an LEO
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:05:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:21:47 PM EDT
[#6]
$200 is expensive for a ticket.  Guess you shouldn't set your cruise for "72 in a 65" (your words).  That $200 ticket should teach you but probably won't.

I got nabbed this weekend in an OBVIOUS speed trap, going 70 in a 60.

I guess you must not be very smart since you were speeding through an "OBVIOUS" speed trap.

Don't bother getting certified.  We don't need officers like you.  

Don't expect any sympathy here!

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:56:04 PM EDT
[#7]
If you think I should pay $200, well... that's your opinion, and you are certainly entitled to that.

However, this SPEED TRAP had a drop from 70 to 35 in less than 1 mile, and a not so obvious sign on the side of the highway obscured by over-growth. I use the cruise control on 72 because it doesn’t cause many over-passing problems from the other motorists en route, police officers, I believe call it the flow of traffic.

Anyone who asks me to define a 'SPEED TRAP' probably needs to go fight some real crime.
www.speedtrap.org/speedtraps/FranklinTX

IMHO; a real officer of the peace shouldn’t hide behind a bush, but should be on patrol.
Hiding, which is what he was doing, is good for two things.  
1. Protection.  
2. Surprise attacks/Ambush.

I think we know what this is about... it's about money.
Shame on you fascist bootlicking antagonists for thinking it is about laws or safety.
You guys are un-believable.
*** Subscription cancelled ***

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:19:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:23:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Hooooooo-kay.

I will give you credit for the witty insult, but I'm still not picturing how you breaking the law is somehow the fault of anyone but you.  And yes, traffic law is still the law.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:28:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Again, in your own words, you were stopped and cited for 70 mph in a 60mph zone, not a 35mph zone. You knew the speed limit and exceeded it. You got caught. Talking about overgrowth and speed limit changes doesn't change the fact that you knew the speed limit, in this case 60 mph, and you were travelling 72 mph, with cruise control. Get over it. Why don't you just blame your car for your problems. Calling all of use names isn't going to solve your problems either. It is really just a flashing red light and flag telling all of us that you don't possess the ability to accept responsiblity for your actions. As far as you becoming a LEO, go find something else to do with your life and quit acting like a politician.

You may have cancelled your subscription, because you didn't get the answers you wanted, but you'll still come back to read this.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:30:00 PM EDT
[#11]
you said you got a ticket for doing 60/70, then you said it was a speedtrap because it went from 70 to 35 in less than a mile, which is it.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:39:06 PM EDT
[#12]
...and there is no POST here in TX it's called TCLEOSE
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:07:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If you think I should pay $200, well... that's your opinion, and you are certainly entitled to that.

However, this SPEED TRAP had a drop from 70 to 35 in less than 1 mile, and a not so obvious sign on the side of the highway obscured by over-growth. I use the cruise control on 72 because it doesn’t cause many over-passing problems from the other motorists en route, police officers, I believe call it the flow of traffic.

Anyone who asks me to define a 'SPEED TRAP' probably needs to go fight some real crime.

IMHO; a real officer of the peace shouldn’t hide behind a bush, but should be on patrol.
1. Protection.  

Shame on you fascist bootlicking antagonists for thinking it is about laws or safety.

So you're story is changing now eh?  What really happened??  If it's a "not so obvious sign on the side of the highway obscured by over-growth" you obviously know it's there and you still sped through the area.  Boy you are stupid!!!!

Do you have any idea how many bad guys I've stopped and arrested by "hiding in the bush" and "ambushing" them with speeding violations?  I'm not even going to bother to tell you because you won't care anyway.  When I'm on patrol and can't find any bad guys I sit somewhere and wait for them to come to me.  It works.  But you wouldn't understand that.  

You think it's all about money?  I'll tell that to the family of the next speeding drunk who plasters himself/herself all over the roadway.  Sorry I wasn't there to stop your family member....we only stop people for money.  

Excuse me while I take off for awhile.  I have some facist boots to lick  Then I'm going to find some poor innocent speeder to antagonize.

Oh one more thing.....what subscription are you canceling?  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:25:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

if you are guilty then pay the fine.  If you aren't guilty fight it.  If you want to bitch about the amount of the fine take it to the policticians that set the amount.  No one has ever asked me what I thought the fine for speeding should be....

Quoted:

www.speedtrap.org/speedtraps/FranklinTX [/qoute]

the fact that Franklin, TX is listed on that website does not make it a 'speedtrap'.  Jesus, Top fuel dragsters don't even take a mile to slow down.....

Quoted:
1. Protection.  

whining from a child that got spanked for doing something stupid.

Quoted:

That's funny from somebody that stated he wants to join our ranks....

Brian
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:36:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Here, have a ASS CLOWN

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:04:02 PM EDT
[#16]
er.  

a.) glocknroll is an idiot on several counts.

b.) franklin's been a speed trap, (it's on US79 northeast of Hearne, so he must be an aggie or visiting someone who is...) since, oh, about 1935 or so...  i live 250 miles away, and had relatives that lived in buffalo, down the road, and every time we came up, we were warned about franklin...

c.) doesn't matter what the fine is, if you have a clean slate, and you're doing under 25mph over the limit, can't you take a defensive driving course in texas and get the ticket dismissed?  at least that's the way it was 15 years ago, when i got my last ticket.  

d.) if you had your cruise control going, and you've been making good time for say, and hour or more (in either direction, i've been there...) wouldn't it be a good idea to come off cruising speed in town, where there's a stoplight, gas stations, convenience stores, a cafe' or two... wouldn't want to wad old man smith's pickup as he's trying to get into the feed store parking lot and fumbling for his cigar at the same time now, would you...

e.) what subscription?  are you daft man?  this is a free resource unless you subscribe to the 'inner circle', which a great many of us see no need to do.  mr. avila and family/friends/company make decent $ from the advertising on this website, and in such situation, offer this free service to us, the consumers.  

f.) if you want to go elsewhere and pay higher prices for the same stuff, and feel this makes your point, then go for it.  otherwise, hang here.  

g.) it's not our fault you got a ticket, and it's not our fault you can't figure out how to get out of a very, very, very slight bind.  

h.) bye...

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:31:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Ever hear of a TRAFFIC OFFICER.   It is their job to respond to collisions and enforce traffic laws.  I agree with previous poster, consider a different career, you do not belong in law enforcement!!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:47:06 AM EDT
[#18]
You are not an officer here or anywhere else.  (Thank God for that)  You ARE however, Felony Ignorant.  It's a damn shame we don't have public floggings for people like you.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:30:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:41:58 AM EDT
[#20]
you admited going over the speed limit and got caught, and now you are mad becuase of the way you got caught?   I think you need to man up and pay the ticket and stop setting your cruise control 7 miles over the posted limit, it is no one elses fualt but yourself.  no matter how you say you were caught speed trap or not you got caught and need to be responsible for you actions.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:18:26 AM EDT
[#21]

That's funny from somebody that stated he wants to join our ranks....

Brian

I couldn't agree more with you.  I wouldn't consider it hiding, I consider it being smarter than the knuckleheads that think they can outsmart the police and speed.  Glockandroll, if you want to join the ranks of the brother hood, this is not the place to come whine because you got a ticket you very well deserved.  Just because you are "nice" and "courteous" to the officer does not require him to issue you a warning rather than a hard copy citation.  

If part of doing the job as an LEO is to go out and work a "speed trap".  Than that is what the officer needs to do.  If it generates money for the city government so they can pay the officer and or get better equipment for the department, than I suggest they run more "speed traps".  If you were to ever join the brother hoood, you have a lot of maturing that you need to do.  

You screwed up.  You got caught.  Now be a bigger man and accept the consequences.  If you can't, I would suggest that you seek a different career path.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:22:04 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
You are not an officer here or anywhere else.  (Thank God for that)  You ARE however, Felony Ignorant.  It's a damn shame we don't have public floggings for people like you.

C'mon, you know that Ignorance is only a misdemeanor.  You have to be REALLY stupid to elevate it to felony.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:39:08 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Hooooooo-kay.

I will give you credit for the witty insult, but I'm still not picturing how you breaking the law is somehow the fault of anyone but you.  And yes, traffic law is still the law.

+1 Witty insult.  Nicely done. 9 out of 10

Only a Liberal could blame others for their "misfortune" that they, themself created.

Okay maybe look at it as a quality of life thing.   1 light town with mjr hwy running through the middle.  Maybe they don't want to play frogger with the grocery's while trying to cross the street.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:56:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:20:34 AM EDT
[#25]

.......what an idiot.......
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:37:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:36:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:24:49 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Aren't we the cocky little bastard....Listen up: are you so dimwitted as to believe that we don't know what the definition of a speedtrap is? ! We all know exactly what a speed trap is. We weren't asking for the literal definition of the word, we wanted to know the circumstances of your specific stop so as to ascertain whether or not it was one. That said, its a moot point as you have conveniently changed your story.......In closing: SHUT UP and PAY UP.....And if you don't like the laws as they are written, may I humbly suggest taking the bus from now on.......

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:28:11 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

1. Protection.  

Glock&Roll said he was thinking about being an officer. Then he went on to rant about what real cops should do. To finish it up, we are now fascists, I suppose for enforcing the laws.

Glock, how do you know what real cops should do? How would you issue any citation or make any arrest since doing so would obviously make you one of the fascists?

I am usually fairly lenient on my opinion of most civilians that post questions and statements on bulletin boards since they normally are speaking out of ignorance of laws and procedures. I have no such sympathy for you. You seem to be a crybaby that cannot handle the decision making that officers are confronted with on a daily basis.  You may or may not have been screwed over by one officer but that does not justify your sniveling attitude toward all officers. I hope you have gotten mad enough at this point to end your thoughts of being an officer because frankly, we don't need or want you.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:16:02 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
As I usually treat officer’s w/respect (sincere respect) I have only rarely received anything other than a warning. However, this is outrageous, and the ticket is $200, and I thought I had my cruise control set at 72 in a 65 (posted speed after dusk) on HWY79 in Franklin Texas.

IMO any speeding ticket for under 10 over is usually bullshit just because.

Luck for you though you are in Texas. You have the right to a trial by jury. If I were you I would plead not guilty and request a trial by jury.

Also under Texas law speed limits are not the law. That is to say that merely driving over the speed limit is not illegal.

What is illegal is driving faster than a speed that is reasonable and prudent.

www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/docs/TN/content/htm/tn.007.00.000545.00.htm#545.351.00

§ 545.351.  MAXIMUM SPEED REQUIREMENT.  (a)  An operator
may not drive at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent
under the circumstances then existing.
(b)  An operator:                                                              
(1)  may not drive a vehicle at a speed greater than is
reasonable and prudent under the conditions and having regard for
actual and potential hazards then existing;  and
(2)  shall control the speed of the vehicle as
necessary to avoid colliding with another person or vehicle that is
on or entering the highway in compliance with law and the duty of
each person to use due care.
(c)  An operator shall, consistent with Subsections (a) and
(b), drive at an appropriate reduced speed if:
(1)  the operator is approaching and crossing an
intersection or railroad grade crossing;
(2)  the operator is approaching and going around a
curve;                  
(3)  the operator is approaching a hill crest;                                
(4)  the operator is traveling on a narrow or winding
roadway;  and        
(5)  a special hazard exists with regard to traffic,
including pedestrians, or weather or highway conditions.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:05:49 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IMO any speeding ticket for under 10 over is usually bullshit just because.

Luck for you though you are in Texas. You have the right to a trial by jury. If I were you I would plead not guilty and request a trial by jury.

Also under Texas law speed limits are not the law. That is to say that merely driving over the speed limit is not illegal.

What is illegal is driving faster than a speed that is reasonable and prudent.

www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/docs/TN/content/htm/tn.007.00.000545.00.htm#545.351.00

§ 545.351.  MAXIMUM SPEED REQUIREMENT.  (a)  An operator
may not drive at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent
under the circumstances then existing.
(b)  An operator:                                                              
(1)  may not drive a vehicle at a speed greater than is
reasonable and prudent under the conditions and having regard for
actual and potential hazards then existing;  and
(2)  shall control the speed of the vehicle as
necessary to avoid colliding with another person or vehicle that is
on or entering the highway in compliance with law and the duty of
each person to use due care.
(c)  An operator shall, consistent with Subsections (a) and
(b), drive at an appropriate reduced speed if:
(1)  the operator is approaching and crossing an
intersection or railroad grade crossing;
(2)  the operator is approaching and going around a
curve;                  
(3)  the operator is approaching a hill crest;                                
(4)  the operator is traveling on a narrow or winding
roadway;  and        
(5)  a special hazard exists with regard to traffic,
including pedestrians, or weather or highway conditions.

[/quote

Once again,  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:22:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Uhh dont want a ticket?    Do the speed limit...... duh.  

If I'm speeding and I get a ticket it's my fault.

If I'm doing the speed limit AND existing conditions indicate it's perfectly safe to do so and I get a ticket then I'll fight it and bitch.

Suck it up, admit you were in the wrong and pay your fukkin ticket.    You'll never make it in LE thinking you're something special.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:20:55 AM EDT
[#33]
He's absolutely right.  Damn you guys are mean.  All you jackbooted thugs thinking that it's your business to try to enforce speed limits.  Preposterous!

Next thing you know, you'll start arresting guys just for slapping their wives or kids around.  What is this country coming to?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:30:57 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
He's absolutely right.  Damn you guys are mean.  All you jackbooted thugs thinking that it's your business to try to enforce speed limits.  Preposterous!

Next thing you know, you'll start arresting guys just for slapping their wives or kids around.  What is this country coming to?

lmao!!

Too many fockers in this country don't know what it means to take responsibility for the actions....its very sad.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:31:19 AM EDT
[#35]
It's fairly easy to deal with a city ticket in Texas, I've done it several times and not one offense is on my driving record. All it takes is a little bit of legal knowledge.

Of course rather than acting like you wanted to listen or be informed, you've just been bitching and throwing a fit because YOU broke the law - so have fun working it out.

BTW, if you have family in LE, why are you coming here?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:28:42 PM EDT
[#36]
I love it when people read the part of the law that they want to pertain to them.

OFFascist you need to read a little further into the code.  The very next one talks about Prima Facie Speed Limits.  Those are the max allowable under any circumstance.  The ones you refer to deal with circumstances that cause the max allowable speed to be less than the posted speed.  If it is snowing then maybe 35 in the 70 zone would be the max allowable.  If you are doing 60, 10 under, the officer can give you a ticket because 35 is what would be "reasonable and prudent under the circumstances then existing."

I think I better get a fresh ticket book from the Sgt.  I feel like making more outrageous money for the mayor and city council.  Forget the fact that in 99% of the traffic accidents I write someone is speeding.  I'm in it for the money, not safety.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:12:52 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I love it when people read the part of the law that they want to pertain to them.

OFFascist you need to read a little further into the code.  The very next one talks about Prima Facie Speed Limits.  Those are the max allowable under any circumstance.  The ones you refer to deal with circumstances that cause the max allowable speed to be less than the posted speed.  If it is snowing then maybe 35 in the 70 zone would be the max allowable.  If you are doing 60, 10 under, the officer can give you a ticket because 35 is what would be "reasonable and prudent under the circumstances then existing."

You are mistaken.

That section reads.

§ 545.352.  PRIMA FACIE SPEED LIMITS.  (a)  A speed in
excess of the limits established by Subsection (b) or under another
provision of this subchapter is prima facie evidence that the speed
is not reasonable and prudent and that the speed is unlawful.

Text of subsec. (b) as amended by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 663,
§ 2 and Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 739, § 1
(b)  Unless a special hazard exists that requires a slower
speed for compliance with Section 545.351(b), the following speeds
are lawful:
snipped a long list of "lawful speeds."

This section merely states that if you are driving over the speed limit, then that fact can be used against you in a court of law as "evidence" that your speed was unlawful.

However just because there is evidence of something that does not necessarily make it the case and in a jury trial it is up to the jury to judge all the evidence. In my experience they usually just drop the ticket if you request a jury trial on a speeding ticket for something like 10-20 over.

That long section I snipped is just a listing of "lawful speeds," nowhere in there does it say that speeds greater than those listed speeds in and of themselves are unlawful.

Forget the fact that in 99% of the traffic accidents I write someone is speeding.  I'm in it for the money, not safety.

Speeding in and of itself doesnt cause accidents, it can however contribute to them.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:43:10 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

You are acting like an idiot. Please get out of our forum.

--edited to quote the right poster. (Sorry Off)
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:19:18 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
--edited to quote the right poster. (Sorry Off)

alright man, NP.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:25:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Texas should just take all of their speed limit signs down.  Obviously they are too complicated for some Texans to understand.

I invite OFFascist to come to WA and use his rational in traffic court.  No jury trial.  If you contest the ticket it is not dismissed.  You have your day in court before the judge, not a jury.  The officer can even be served with a subpoena, should the driver wish (I love the OT).  Those who try and explain the traffic laws to the local judge don't fair so well.  He has heard all the BS arguements before.  To him a "Limit" is a "Limit."  It is a simple concept.

Take responsibility for your actions.  There is no such thing as a speed trap.  The department of transportation sets up the speed zones, we enforce them.  Speed drops are required by law to have the proper signage.

+1 to npd233
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:35:29 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Texas should just take all of their speed limit signs down.  Obviously they are too complicated for some Texans to understand.

Speed limit signs have thier place, but they do not stand for the defacto maximum legal speed on Texas roadways.

I invite OFFascist to come to WA and use his rational in traffic court.

Why? Did I somehow offend you because I posted Texas law and it happens to be different than your state law?

That makes about as much sense as someone from California posted about how they would like you to bring a no-ban AR-15 into thier state and use your rational for why you own it in your own state in the California Legal system. Why are you getting so bothered?

No jury trial.  If you contest the ticket it is not dismissed.  You have your day in court before the judge, not a jury.

Okay well I'm sorry that your state does not grant you a right to trial by jury in all cases. Somehow I'm betting you dont have a problem with that though.  

Take responsibility for your actions.

I do. I have yet to commit a crime on the road in Texas and I hope to keep it that way.

There is no such thing as a speed trap.

I disagree, although I wouldnt consider the original posters case to be a speed trap, although I definately think the fine is excessive considering the speeds if he were guilty.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:30:31 PM EDT
[#42]
It's amazing how much effort people will put into traffic issues...traffic and motor officers excepted of course since you guys like to do it for some silly reason  I think that if this is the most you have to worry about, your life is goin pretty good.  So shut the fuck up and pay your fine.  Don't waste everyone's time by requesting a trial, you got a ticket, pay it!  Or not, it's OT to most guys anyway.  And to the asshat who said he thinks the fines are excessive...thats because that is the only deterent that most assholes understand.  So again, shut the fuck the up and realize there are more important things in life than your pride cause you got busted!
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:45:24 PM EDT
[#43]
People cry about personal responsibility for everything except traffic violations.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:51:02 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
People cry about personal responsibility for everything except traffic violations.

Why should someone be responsible and pay for something even when they have not broken the law?

In Houston the the DA is telling Houston PD to still arrest people who are travelling with a handgun in thier card, and saying he will prosecute for unlawful carry, despite the fact that the state law allows for concealed carrying in your vehicle.

Should someone who is arrested for that, just "man up" and "be responsible" when they are following the letter of the law?

Its the same thing here albeit the stakes are alot lower.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:23:50 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Speed limit signs have thier place, but they do not stand for the defacto maximum legal speed on Texas roadways.

I invite OFFascist to come to WA and use his rational in traffic court.

Why? Did I somehow offend you because I posted Texas law and it happens to be different than your state law?

That makes about as much sense as someone from California posted about how they would like you to bring a no-ban AR-15 into thier state and use your rational for why you own it in your own state in the California Legal system. Why are you getting so bothered?

No jury trial.  If you contest the ticket it is not dismissed.  You have your day in court before the judge, not a jury.

Okay well I'm sorry that your state does not grant you a right to trial by jury in all cases. Somehow I'm betting you dont have a problem with that though.  

Take responsibility for your actions.

I do. I have yet to commit a crime on the road in Texas and I hope to keep it that way.

There is no such thing as a speed trap.

I disagree, although I wouldnt consider the original posters case to be a speed trap, although I definately think the fine is excessive considering the speeds if he were guilty.

After reading your posts so far, I might suggest that you take the time to read ALL of  TTC 545.3-- because it is pretty clear about speed limits, including areas that aren't specifically posted and the authority of the different .gov entities to modify those limits.  Picking and choosing the parts that suit you won't help.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:26:18 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why should someone be responsible and pay for something even when they have not broken the law?

In Houston the the DA is telling Houston PD to still arrest people who are travelling with a handgun in thier card, and saying he will prosecute for unlawful carry, despite the fact that the state law allows for concealed carrying in your vehicle.

Should someone who is arrested for that, just "man up" and "be responsible" when they are following the letter of the law?

Its the same thing here albeit the stakes are alot lower.

Apples and oranges.  If the DA in Harris Co. chooses to interpret the UCW law in that manner, that is his right as an ELECTED official.  Get someone elected that is more agreeable to your ideas.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:57:44 AM EDT
[#47]
According tot he original message, he was on HWY 79. If that is the case then the speed limit would have been set by the state, not the city, and any speed reduction on that roadway, would have to be approved by the state as well.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:16:17 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
After reading your posts so far, I might suggest that you take the time to read ALL of  TTC 545.3-- because it is pretty clear about speed limits, including areas that aren't specifically posted and the authority of the different .gov entities to modify those limits.  Picking and choosing the parts that suit you won't help.

Well now I just did.

I didnt see anything that changes what I posted. It all comes down to "prima facie," if you are going over the speed limit then it is "prima facie" evidence that your speed was not reasonable and prudent.

That doesnt mean much though because you can still argue in court that your speed was reasonable and prudent, and if my speed was reasonable and prudent I would do just that. I've never had the chance to do it yet though since I've had two of my speeding tickets dropped before trial.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:17:46 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Apples and oranges.  If the DA in Harris Co. chooses to interpret the UCW law in that manner, that is his right as an ELECTED official.  Get someone elected that is more agreeable to your ideas.  

So it doesnt matter what the law says, only what elected individuals decide to interpret it as.

Its that kind of attitude that has lead our nation to be in the current big government, budget deficiet, nanny state that we are.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:01:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Contrary to popular belief, you can get a speeding ticket for going only 1 mile per hour over the post speed limit.  Most departments set policies giving a grace speed (my department says to allow 5 over).  I personally start writing at 15 over.  When I stop you, you know you were speeding.

The limit is the limit is the limit!

If you walk into court with that, they are going to eat you for lunch.  Your best bet is to pay the ticket and see if they will keep it off your insurance.  When you tell the judge that you were speeding, but just not that fast, he's going to find you guilty of whatever speed above the limit you claim you were doing.  The problem is the fine will be the exact same.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top