Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2006 5:28:36 PM EDT
Why do so many people hate you guys (LEOs)? I mean somethings these guys say is absolutely ridiculous. What do they have against you? And this whole dog this is completly stupid....they way they play it out is like as soo as you see a dog you shoot it..

Im guessing I wont fully understand until I eventually become an LEO myself.

Anyways guys Stay safe.

Carter.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not a LE, but the problem that I've seen is that I've ran into enough power hungry assholes with badges over the years that it's all too easy to remember them and forget the majority that do their job well and go out of their way to help.  It's unfortunate, but the human mind seems to remember the bad better than the good.

Too bad we can't shoot the power hungry assholes and promote the rest.  JK!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:58:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Unfortunatly There are many keyboard comandos looking for an exuse /motivation for their paranoia.
Law Officers are seen as jack booted thugs because they enforce flawed policy. And about 10% of them deserve outright distrust, as they are as bad as the thugs on the street, if not worse. The drug war and the increasing petty regulation it has brought to everyones lives is unbelievably invasive.  Also the recent performance of NOPD during Katrina and the Kentucky vice  stings where 500 + officers recieve handjobs to net 45 arrests and spend 1 year and 1 mill$$ to do it.

I believe 90% are honest officers. Of that 90%, 50% are good at what they do. the left over 40% are either green new officers eager to get arrests, or people who like the benefits, but dont want to get their hands dirty. It is a parallel and comparable to the workforce in any skilled trade. Look at road construction. 5 guys workin one sleeping, and four watching.

It is also the fault of the people here on the boards that would rather avoid all contact with them than get to know a few by shooting with them on the range. There is also a significant %age of people here that do things in their private lives that might bring a "COP" down on them- Ie: Smoke some pot, make a homemade silencer, shorten a shotgun tooshort, and Yada Yada Yada...

Get out and say Hi to your police. Get to know them and youll find out they are just like you, only in a blue uniform, and with alot more to be concerned about when they go to work.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:20:36 PM EDT
[#3]
The problem is that we as law enforcement officer prevent people from doing what they want to do.  Even though are job is to enforce the law, when people break the law, they want us to look the other way.  No matter how honest we are, we are still stopping people from getting the enjoyment they want because we are not allowing them to do what they want.  From breaking the speed limit to killing another person, when they want to do it, it is supposed to be okay.  

This is my belief as to why so many people do not like LEOs.    
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:52:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm not a LE, but the problem that I've seen is that I've ran into enough power hungry assholes with badges over the years that it's all too easy to remember them and forget the majority that do their job well and go out of their way to help.  It's unfortunate, but the human mind seems to remember the bad better than the good.

Too bad we can't shoot the power hungry assholes and promote the rest.  JK!

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
  I believe 90% are honest officers. Of that 90%, 50% are good at what they do. the left over 40% are either green new officers eager to get arrests, or people who like the benefits, but dont want to get their hands dirty.

Get out and say Hi to your police. Get to know them and youll find out they are just like you, only in a blue uniform, and with alot more to be concerned about when they go to work.

Well put...............
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:04:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The problem is that we as law enforcement officer prevent people from doing what they want to do.  Even though are job is to enforce the law, when people break the law, they want us to look the other way.  No matter how honest we are, we are still stopping people from getting the enjoyment they want because we are not allowing them to do what they want.  From breaking the speed limit to killing another person, when they want to do it, it is supposed to be okay.  

This is my belief as to why so many people do not like LEOs.    

There is some validity to what you say, though I think its a side issue. Honest people who get caught doing something wrong may not like getting caught, though they can't begrudge you doing your job. There are a few crazies out there that do fit your description, though I don't think its the majority. Most laws are in place for good reason.

The main problem people have with LEOs is the few who use a heavy hand.
C'mon, admit it.... you know a police officer who could get a busload of nuns to riot inside ten minutes, and seems to enjoy doing it.

The stereotypical fat-bellied, overbearing sherriff ..... Well, the stereotype had to come from somewhere, no matter how rare it is.

The folks in the Federal Alphabet agency that has a hard-on for enforcing unConstitutional laws, or even breaking their own laws & policies and getting away with it...

These are the people that color the views held by the general public. The local small-town cop is law enforcement, and so is that Federal Alphabet agency, and all law enforcement is seen as working together.

The majority of people who are in law enforcement are good folks, just like the general population. The few bad ones (and they are there!) have a much greater affect on how the public views Joe Cop than the good ones.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:34:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
And this whole dog this is completly stupid....they way they play it out is like as soo as you see a dog you shoot it..

I've never shot a dog. Sprayed a few, but haven't shot one yet.

Fact of the matter is most people are anti-authoritarian to some degree. Myself included. Most cops included. We all bitch about our bosses, teachers, elected officials, parents (at least when we're young), and others that hold some level of control over our freedom (immediate or otherwise). And frankly, there are those occasions that a cop deserves to be labeled an asshole. And those guys piss the rest of us off to no degree b/c they make us look like shit and we have to deal with people's opinions of them. But ultimitely, we hold an immediate threat over people's freedom and they don't like that (as a general rule).

BUT like 1IV said, get to know us. We're people too. We have spouses, friends, kids, bills, and all the other day to day things that you have. We enjoy doing the same stuff you do in our off time. And no, we don't sit around and just watch COPS reruns and polish our gear.  And at the risk of sounding like a smartass, come do our job for two years and then tell us you opinion. You will be absolutely amazed at how your perception of cops, Joe Public, and the world in general will change. I'll have 5 years on the job in September, and I can't believe how much I've changed b/c of it. I don't think I'm more of an asshole, but I can tell you that I am much more matter of fact and blunt b/c of the time I've spent here. I know that it's very easy to take that as being an asshole, especially here in the "gentle south," but that's just the way it makes us. While your at it, notice how much people putting their hands in their pockets pisses you off after you've knives pulled on you. And see how much you really hate dealing with the drama that people get themselves in and expect you to fix.

I got off ona little rant here, but I hope it's well taken. I really do want people to understand that we aren't out just to bust your balls, we're just trying to make the world a little better place for our and your kids.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top