Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2006 5:49:26 PM EDT
How do you guys carry Glock 27 for back up.  I have to use a Glock 40 on duty, even for back up.  I dont like ankle holster but putting the gun under the shirt may make me look like I have a new growth.  I am 602, 180lbs.  I wish I could carry a Smith air lite but that is not an option.  Any suggestions would be help.  Thanks
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:36:19 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
How do you guys carry Glock 27 for back up.  I have to use a Glock 40 on duty, even for back up.  I dont like ankle holster but putting the gun under the shirt may make me look like I have a new growth.  I am 602, 180lbs.  I wish I could carry a Smith air lite but that is not an option.  Any suggestions would be help.  Thanks

Uncle mikes vest carrier
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:28:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Not much help here...I use an ankle holster for my G27.  I haven't tried the vest carrier.  I think I would like it, more accessible.  I've thrown a Smith Airlight in my coat pocket in the winter too, on my weak hand side.  Works well too, have your hand on your gun while talking to people, and they never know!!!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:33:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I carry a G26 as a BUG.  I have done it both ways, and hate looking like I have tits when I use a vest holster.  I am back to an ankle rig.  I use a Galco ankle glove and love it.  You forget it is even there.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:51:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I have tried both. I dislike the vest carrier as well. I am currently using an Alessi ankle holster. I have tried several others and I like this one the best.

Edited to add: Yes, I am carrying a G27 as my back-up.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:05:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I carry a G27 as a back up and off duty at times.  I started with a Desantis Insider, IWB, holster fit for a keltec .40.  It is leather, very thin leather, with a metal clip.  I already owned this and gave it a try.  The 27 just fit inside it with the trigger guard just barely covered.  I ran the clip through the upper strap on my  vest and put the lower strap across the outside of the holster.  Worked fine but the metal clip wore through my uniform shirt in 3 months.

I then switched to the 5.11 vest holster.  It is a square, semi rigid, piece of nylon with the loop half of  velcro on both outer portions of it and a soft "holster" shape hook half assembly.

This is very versatile.  You can put this on the front of your vest or on any portion that has exposed velcro material.  I did not like mine up front.  I had my tailor sew two, 2" portions of velcro onto my vest straps and now the semi rigid portion is attached partially the front section of my carrier and partially to the lower strap.   the upper strap is then pulled over the outside of the "holster."

You can also use this for on or off duty carry if you are wearing pants or shorts with cargo pockets.  The semi rigid portion is the exact size and shape of a cargo pocket and I have used it several times this way since I've been on vacation.

The 5.11 cargo style/BDU style duty pants have a cargo pocket on both legs and I know one officer who carries his back up revolver in that pocket with this holster.

Hope this helps.

I never like the Uncle Mikes vest carrier holster.  I bought it and never used it after I realized I could use the Desantis.  The 5.11 wears better, is more functional, and is cheaper than the Desantis.  It costs more than Uncle Mikes but is still not expensive.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:11:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I carry my G27 in an ankle holster.  I want it on my body armor but it doesn't look right.  My partner is 6'4 180lbs & wears his on his armor & you can't even tell it's there.  He uses the Uncle Mikes body armor holster.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:53:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Today I took a carrier and a B.U.G. holster to the tailor. Hopefully in a couple of days I have it back. The BUG sews directly on the front of your vest and has a pull flap covering the gun as well as a piece of Kevlar inside to make it all match up. I purchased mine at Caliber Press on closeout and I don’t think they carry them anymore. It is a slick design.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top