Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2006 11:04:17 PM EDT
Are there any EMTs reading this that work in the Fort Collins/Boulder area? What are some good ambulance agencies/hospitals around these areas, and how would you rate them? Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:10:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Look into PVHS in FC.

Jobs pop up every once in a while, and they have a Reserve program that gets you street/bus time in their system. Looks good when you give them your resume.

Out.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:28:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmm. After I get EMT-B certified, should I stick with my current job and get into the reserve program for a while? How long's the wait usually to get an active position?

Thanks for your response.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:27:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Fox,
I'd definitely look for a system that does 911 be it  private ambulance or hospital. Transports kill any enthusiasm you have for being an EMT in no time  flat. I started working for AMR in an area of Massachusetts where they did 911 and loved the job, my calls were running just about 50/50 transport/ emergency then I changed stations to be closer to my home and went to 70/30 transport/ emergency, most of which originated from nursing homes anyway and ended up hating being an EMT . Nothing like a year or two of hustling with no break or meals so grandma can get her foley changed because the nurses at the nursing home can't do it or bringing grandpa for the chest xray for the cough he's had for 3 weeks because the portable x-ray doesn't have enough staff to "stat" calls to make you want a career change.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#4]
There are ambulance services that are transport-only? Yeah, I would rather go for 911 calls or working in the ER.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:01:16 AM EDT
[#5]
PVHS is the 911 response for FC. With the reserves to get to do all the cool stand-bys (College footbal, rodeos, and special events the city puts on), and you get to ride shifts with the paid crews on a regular basis. You get lots of exposure to all aspects of EMS.

Think of it as a "farm leauge" for the paid crew. They ran all EMT-P crews for years, but now many of the EMT-B/I jobs are filled from the reserve program.

Give the Paramedic Services line a call and ask for the reserve head.

Out.

Edit: Oh yeah, the ER now hires EMT-Bs, and they might need a bunch when the ER opens at MCR in Loveland.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:57:58 PM EDT
[#6]
One of my lab instructors mentioned his role in the reserve program, so I would probably be able to get in through him. I'll have to ask him tonight. I didn't know PVH hired EMT-I's... if so, I might stick around this area when I go for the next level of cert.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:04:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
One of my lab instructors mentioned his role in the reserve program, so I would probably be able to get in through him. I'll have to ask him tonight. I didn't know PVH hired EMT-I's... if so, I might stick around this area when I go for the next level of cert.

Question:

Can you go directly from a EMT-B to a EMT-I without any hands on expercience in Colorado.

It's possible to go from a EMT-B to a Paramedic without any hands on (except for school) but the vast majority of medical directors and places that hire you want at least a minimum of 1 year EMT-B hands on expercience before upgrading to a P.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:39:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I really have no clue... the instructor was telling us all to work EMT-B for a year or so before stepping up our certification, so it could be that EMT-I also requires experience beforehand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top