Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2006 7:30:11 PM EDT
My brain is mush. I have so many damn offenses, statutes, elements, and organizational details stuffed into my brain, I can't even do math!

I think the waiting is the hardest part ... this week is going to take forever!

And even worse than waiting for the state exam is waiting to go 10-8 ...

Just want to speak up after all the hard work. Another Sheriff will be on the loose soon!

Doc
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:40:05 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
My brain is mush. I have so many damn offenses, statutes, elements, and organizational details stuffed into my brain, I can't even do math!

I think the waiting is the hardest part ... this week is going to take forever!

And even worse than waiting for the state exam is waiting to go 10-8 ...

Just want to speak up after all the hard work. Another Sheriff will be on the loose soon!

Doc

I didn't think TCLEOSE was that bad. Just a rehash of the stuff in the academy. It is taken almost word for word from the academy outline that the state puts out. If you can pass the final, you should be able to pass the state exam. Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:15:04 PM EDT
[#2]
The very best of luck.  
You're going to love being a Texas lawman.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:26:55 PM EDT
[#3]
let me know how it went.  try and remember some questions from it.  I take it march 6th.  

GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:07:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I took it in 2004, and things have probably changed since then, but there were questions from the health unit that I didn't think would be important and didn't spend time studying. Those are what I got wrong.

Do a good review of EVERYTHING. Spend time on the difference between trailers and truck tractors, etc.

Sleep 9 hours and eat breakfast before you take it. if possible, take it somewhere where it's taaken on a computer. They will give you a score immediately. Otherwise, you will have to wait a week and you will only get a pass/fail, rather than a score.

Good luck.
Tear it up.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:42:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the support guys. Managed a 95 on my academy final tonight, so I'm pretty happy. Going to be taking lots of practice tests this week, but I'm looking forward to graduation this saturday!

Doc
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:05:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Congrats.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:43:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Congrats on passing your final and good luck on the Tclose or whatever it is you guys call that test.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:37:12 AM EDT
[#8]
TCLEOSE: Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:46:46 AM EDT
[#9]
DoctorNo- obviously by the time you read this note, you'll have taken your TCLEOSE exam...I took mine almost 20 years ago.

Since you're starting your career in law enforcement, can I give you some unsolicited advice?  Keep the faith, watch your six and don't do anything to tarnish the badge you wear.

eta: spelling
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:53:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
DoctorNo- obviously by the time you read this note, you'll have taken your TCLEOSE exam...I took mine almost 20 years ago.

Since you're starting your career in law enforcement, can I give you some unsolicited advice?  Keep the faith, watch your six and don't do anything to tarnish the badge you wear.

eta: spelling

...and let me add get a few damn hobbies and realize that police work is a job not your life.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:51:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:23:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

full-time or reserve? Dallas? Tarrant? Ellis?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:55:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Congrats on your new career!

A side note on the TCLEOSE:  I picked up a shithead last year that said he was a former Texas LEO who was here interviewing for a job in CA.  "Former"... riiiight.

I remember hearing about the TCLEOSE (TX version of our P.O.S.T.) right here in BOTS and asked the guy about the exam criteria which he had no clue.  Turns out "Former LEO in TX" translated into "applied for the reserve academy once" He didn't even know the code for the stolen property in his car.  

That's awesome! I have a much better idea now why it is so damn easy to tell who's been there and who hasn't ...

Thanks everyone for the support and the advice! I'd love to hear more if you care to share..

Hopefully shooting counts as a hobby, right

I made on an 88 on the test friday morning and am relieved that it's all over.  Now it's back to my favorite past time - hurry up and wait! I've got to wait a few weeks to get sworn in. Can't wait to put on that tan uniform!

Renegade: Gonna be in the Austin area.. let me know if you're ever down this way!

Doc
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 3:23:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I made on an 88 on the test friday morning and am relieved that it's all over.  Now it's back to my favorite past time - hurry up and wait! I've got to wait a few weeks to get sworn in. Can't wait to put on that tan uniform!

You know what they call the guy that made an 88 on his TCLEOSE?  

A peace officer.

Watch their hands.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:52:06 AM EDT
[#15]
My final is tueday the 28th and tcleose is next monday.  hope we pass brother!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:28:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Cit: Good luck! Study heard all week, and don't give it up until it's all done! Then you will have all sorts of extra time on your hands that you don't know what to do with

Doc
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:33:54 AM EDT
[#17]
I took the exam in 93?   It was super easy.  If you paid attention in class you wont have any problem.   I got through when the academy was only 400hrs.    I hear it expanded shortly after I went through it.  

It didnt pay enough for me down there.  I miss the chow but like my paychecks alot better up this way.  

( did I mention TX had the hottest wimmenz?)
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:19:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I wouldn't say _super_ easy, but the academy definitely prepared me well. The TLETS tests on line were a good quantifier too.

The academy is a little bigger now .. I think our number was up to 578 hours. And they're looking to add more!

I can't believe how much you yankees make, even starting out! We need some more of that love down here. I think part of the 'benefits package' is NO SNOW.

Doc
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:51:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Renegade: Gonna be in the Austin area.. let me know if you're ever down this way!

Doc

Thanks, I remember you from the lease, but forgot about your journey north, and assumed you were local. Stay safe.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:04:31 PM EDT
[#20]
No snow in this area, just libtards.   I make about 3x what I made in TX here tho so I can put up with em for a few more years....... maybe ...  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:06:07 AM EDT
[#21]
I get off night shift today (tuesday) at 0630, and go direct to school to take my final.   Monday March 6th is tcleose for me.  I'll be taking it on the computer so I will hopefully know right away if I pass.  

Congrats on finishing !!!

Hey what academy were you in?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:35:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Renegade: Ahh.. That was a good time. Let me know when ya'll are going to do it again!

Mr45: Hahah! I travelled for a living for the last 5 years, so I know what you mean. There are only so many times I could go to Chicago and be angry about the weapons laws. I'm just happy that if I ever have to go again they won't apply .....

Cit7: Good luck! Working nights and doing school has GOT to fuck with your brain. We had a couple of jailers in our class who were doing the same thing. Ya'll are tough!

I was in CAPCOG academy #39, which was being put on by Pflugerville PD. Can't say enough good things about the Pflugerville guys, but the CAPCOG administration was severely lacking. All I know is that it's over!

Doc
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top