Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2006 2:26:41 PM EDT
Hey guys,
I about three years ago I got a couple traffic tickets,  AUO, expired inspection, and running a red arrow.  I forgot to pay the tickets and got picked up on a bench warrent.  I was never booked, put in a cell, handcuffed, or read my rights.  The paper said that I was arrested.  Was I arrested? The LEO picked me up at my house, drove me to the court house to pay my fines and dropped my back off at home.  Is this going to to be on my record as an arrest?  And will this effect my chances at a career in law enforcment?  I took the state test a few weeks ago, and am wondering if I should bother getting my hopes up.  Thanks

Also, thank you guys for all your hard work in keeping our streets safe.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:55:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, this is considered an arrest and most likely on your record.  The bond on the warrant was forfeitable which means you paid the fines and was free to go.  Of course, this could vary in your state and/or other states.  As for a career, the best advice is to be honest about your past.  As long as your honest, your past won't necessarily effect your chances in law enforcement.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:12:25 PM EDT
[#2]
When your record is ran, you'll be asked about the incident. Just tell the truth. You weren't charged with a felony, so most departments will look at it at face value.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:07:45 PM EDT
[#3]
If' it's like anything in MO it won't be on your criminal history.  Since you were never fingerprinted they can't get if onto your record.  But still be honest about it when you apply.  It'll come out in the polygraph anyway.  

By the way, the police don't have to automatically read you your rights when you are arrested.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:25:43 PM EDT
[#4]
yes it is an arrest, but not to big of a deal.

Just be honest man if ever asked
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:03:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, it's an arrest.  
I had a similar experience about 12 years before I got on with my current dept. ... except it was for a leash law violation in CA.  
I told the background investigator what happened in detail and there was no problem, since it had happened quite a while ago.  
You may have an issue because it is still fairly recent.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:27:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Was I arrested? The LEO picked me up at my house, drove me to the court house to pay my fines and dropped my back off at home.

Did the officer say you were under arrest? Were you free to decline his invitation for a ride to the court house and go about your business? Seems to me the officer went to great lengths NOT to formally arrest you, and you were smart to take him up on his offer.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:49:47 PM EDT
[#7]
You were arrested.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:14:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:42:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes.
We use UCC's  for the petty stuff. Shoplift 1st time etc.  You are given something almost equiv. to a ticket and agree to show up at court and see the judge.  For agreeing to do this you get to walk away instead of hangin with the fun people in a cell.   It's still an arrest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top