Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2006 10:57:07 PM EDT
Recommendations/suggestions considering a LEO academy south of Houston?  Wondering about the quality, cost, and time.  What about allowing hiring agency to send me through their academy vs going myself?  This would be a career change, i'm not a kid.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:22:36 PM EDT
[#1]
You have 4 main police academies in the area.  Galveston College, College of the Mainland, Alvin Community College, and University of Houston.

I attended the Galveston College Academy but have heard really good things about the Alvin Academy as well as the University of Houston Academy.  Other then these 4 I'm not sure of any others unless HCC does one.

Galveston College will run in the neighborhood of 1500 give or take alittle.  Instructor of the Galveston College Academy is the Major over corrections at the Galveston County Sheriff's Office.

Andrew
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:14:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Andrew!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:23:30 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You have 4 main police academies in the area.  Galveston College, College of the Mainland, Alvin Community College, and University of Houston.

I attended the Galveston College Academy but have heard really good things about the Alvin Academy as well as the University of Houston Academy.  Other then these 4 I'm not sure of any others unless HCC does one.

Galveston College will run in the neighborhood of 1500 give or take alittle.  Instructor of the Galveston College Academy is the Major over corrections at the Galveston County Sheriff's Office.

Andrew

...and you forgot Houston Community College Academy, Wharton's academy, Gus George Academy(Ft. Bend County's academy).

I went through University of Houston-Downtown's academy back in 97.  I enjoyed it alot.

Pasadena PD has their own academy but you won't go through it unless you get hired by them or another agency.  In my academy class there they have some other cadets from Webster PD and League City PD. I spent the past 8 years working for Harris County Pct. 5 but left recently and got hired by Pasadena PD.  I have to go through their basic(27 weeks) academy though.  They do have modified academies from time to time and are looking at having one maybe next year.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:57:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I finish HCCS Academy March 6th

From what I hear if you dont want to go to HPD or HCSO academies then either HCCS (Northeast campus) or U of H (downtown) is where to take it.

I talked with a deputy i work with who went to U of H.  He said the majority of his class had to take the state test twice.   most failed the 1st time.l

HCCS says that 90% of their class pass the 1st time.  We will see though on march 6th when I take my test.  

IM me if you need more details

Citabria7GCBC
Cy-Fair VFD
Harris County Constable Dispatch
HCCS Academy 05F
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top