Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2006 1:20:27 PM EDT
I would like to hear both good and bad experiences from officers who work in right-to-work states.  I work in a state that is right-to-work and the pay, benefits, and work environment generally suck.  We wind up training officers who leave for Washington and Oregon because they are unionized states with better pay and benefits.  Also, I would like to know your perception about the quality of the people your agencies hire in right-to-work.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:54:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Brother I feel the pain I am in VA and let me tell you right to work sucks. It sucks to know that there is not a thing you can due about pay and benefits and no matter what union comes along there is nothing they can do for you...The only good thing about me dept is Civil Service since they can not just fire you out right (BS) they call it indefanate suspention.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:50:43 AM EDT
[#2]
We have a union in Pheonix but they blow, so I kicked them to the curb.....
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:53:25 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Brother I feel the pain I am in VA and let me tell you right to work sucks. It sucks to know that there is not a thing you can due about pay and benefits and no matter what union comes along there is nothing they can do for you...The only good thing about me dept is Civil Service since they can not just fire you out right (BS) they call it indefanate suspention.

Your pay and beenfits suck because you live in Va, not because its a right to work state.

Az is a right to work state and we have gotten along fine without unions.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:24:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Virginia is one of the most hostile environments to be a cop, in my opinion.  I worked for a Sheriff's Office there for over three years and I saw things that would make anyones head spin.
Officers have NO rights, can be fired without cause, and have no legal recourse if they are fired.  I consulted with several Northern Virginia attorneys that specialize in labor and employment law, and they all gave me the same information........you get canned in Virginia, you're screwed!
That is why I work in Maryland, now.  There is union protection and a Law Enforcement Officers Bill of Rights (LEOBR).
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:33:27 AM EDT
[#5]
That is pretty much how Idaho works for LEOs.  There isn't an officer bill of rights to protect you if they decide to come after you.  The Sheriffs recently tried to ram a bill through the legislature allowing officers to be fired if they decided to run against the sitting sheriff.  The argument was it created a hostile work environment.  Arizona must be way different than the other right to work states, but of course my current sheriff was a cop in AZ and he is way nicer than the last assh*le.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top