Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2006 3:34:27 PM EDT
Start soon and was wondering what to expect.  I will be working at Warren Correctional in Lebanon, Ohio.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Start soon and was wondering what to expect.  

Grow a thick skin, real quick. And don't EVER let your guard down, EVER
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:58:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to www.usualsuspect.net/ and register & then check out the  Law Enforcement & Emergency Services Lounge
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:03:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Be careful
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:27:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Dont let those dirt bags get under your skin, they are in there for a reason.  Most importantly..............

BE SAFE
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:33:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Learn the term "trick bag" and how to avoid them.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#6]
The best weapon you have will be your "wit".  Always keep your guard up and remember, if there lips are moving, they are probably lying.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:26:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The best weapon you have will be your "wit".  Always keep your guard up and remember, if there lips are moving, they are probably lying.

+1

Remember if you threaten them with something, you sure as shit better go thru w/ it.  If you dont you will  get a reputation of being soft,

Dont let them get under your skin, dont play favorites, dont be an ass unless you have to be.  

ETA:
If your having to search them, do it twice.  if you think that there isnt a way that someone could hide something somewhere on/in them, a con has already thought about it and tried it.  

Watch their hands, eyes and body language.  If they are looking like they are gonna "bow up" then get the first hit in.  Show them quickly who is in control.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:38:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Your reputation is everything get a bad one and it will stick with you even if you transfer,don't ever bother if you don't have thick skin you'll get  just as much from the staff as you will inmates. DON'T GET COMPLACIANT. GOOD LUCK
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Keep your mouth shut and your ears open. The one thing CO's really hate is newbies that come into the job and act like they are all that and a bag of chips. Don't trust anyone, including the other staff members. There are alot of really good CO's out there but also alot of really bad ones. Hazard of working in that environment. You can start to trust staff members when they have earned that right.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:12:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the advice I will keep this stuff in mind.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:49:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Been a CO for almost 8 years now, and it is the worse job that I have ever had.
The staff are worse than the inmates.
Remember its not too late to find a real job.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:08:10 AM EDT
[#12]
I was a detention officer in a jail that held around 3500 inmates for 7 years. I remember some advice given to me, when I was new. They have 24 hours a day to think about how to get over you. They are criminals and not your friends. Do not let them get close to you. They will talk to you and try to build a friendship. They will talk with you and ask you personal questions. Do not answer them. Be SAFE. I have seen many CO get hurt.

On the lighter side, this will make you an awsome LEO later. You will build you IPC skills. IPC - Inter personal comunication skills. You will also build your body language skills. Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:40:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Stay safe. Stay in shape.  Your brain is your friend.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:36:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:16:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:43:54 AM EDT
[#16]
My plans if I didn't like the CO job was either try to get on with the local pd or just the air force as a mp.  I have been trying to stay in shape I work out almost everyday.  I have to deal with dangerous situations at my current job (well drilling) there has been times where if I wasn't paying attention I wouldn't be alive.  I'm just 19 so if I don't like it I have the chance to change it.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:08:08 PM EDT
[#17]
All good stuff.  I'll add my 2c;   Watch everyone. pay attention to who keeps their heads in emergency/stressful situations ... you'll learn some really good things from them on what/what not to do. Pay attention to who the inmates test and who they won't ... there are some subtle signals there, too.  Keep your word to EVERYONE. That means staff AND inmates. Communicate when you can. I'm not talking about security info or personal info ... I'm talking about just letting them know (as far as you know) what's going on. It's "usually" stupid to be mysterious when you don't have to be. Never, ever take their self-respect from them. There is never a good reason to do that.  Treat them like human beings. As a CO, expect respect, or, at least the appearance of it. Stay in shape. Take advantage of any training you can. Co-operate with other departments within your facility... and cultivate a professional reputation. Understand that your "style" may change as time goes along...
Mine has. I've worked in Lows, Mediums, and Pens for 16+ years and I learn something every day.
Stay safe.           And let us know how it goes.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:39:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Don't be afraid to say "No", or swear.... generally inmates only understand swearing!

Be safe!

When you go home forget your job, and don't take it home with you (it will just piss you off)

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 12:31:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Remember they are ALL liars. Do not ever believe one of them.

Do not ever "do one a favor" for any reason.

Always watch your back, they WILL kill you to escape.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:53:42 AM EDT
[#20]
You need a Daddy, I have taken many rookies in....I play the Grumpy crazy old man, but if the rookie and I click, I help them...it is a tough Job, in my Deprtment we hire 30+ a year..to cover those that quit.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:02:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Sounds like it's the same everywhere in this profession.  Forgive me if I repeat what's already been said:

1. Start off hard.  The inmates respect this.  Pick your battles, but be firm and consistent in what you do.  The inmates will ask you for things they know you are not supposed to give them, be prepared to respond accordingly.

2. Keep your word to inmates.  Again, they respect this.  If you are going to get a guy some kites, a roll of TP, whatever, do it.  Give them what they have coming, but nothing more.

3. Staff are your worst enemy.  Learn who you can trust and who you cannot.  Find a successful officer and do what he does.  Ask questions if you don't know what to do, but learn fast.

4. Don't get married to the job, there is lots of other work.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:48:25 PM EDT
[#23]
If you are looking at using corrections as a stepping stone to Patrol Officer, get in there listen and learn (Be Careful) and hope you get through quick.

If you are looking at a career in Corrections... look elsewhere.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:16:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for all the advice guys.  I am looking to us this as a chance to go to college for free, and help my chances in becoming a leo.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:22:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Don't be afraid to say "No", or swear.... generally inmates only understand swearing!

Be safe!

When you go home forget your job, and don't take it home with you (it will just piss you off)

Get the reputation as the CO who always says "No" to everything. Eventually they will quit asking. If "No" doesn't work, or if they don't speak english...

"Fuck You, Go Away" is understood universally.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:59:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Study the inmate handbook and know it. The inmates know this book very well and will use it to file greviences against you if you say no to anything that the handbook says they are allowed to have. Also they will get no where if you tell them no and you know that the handbook backs up your decision.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:34:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Also.. remember that you can always change a "no" to a "yes", but not the other way 'round...

I've been in Corrections 15years.... One broken leg and a whole lotta laughs
It'll end up being what you make it...

Ps. a useful mantra might be:  Admit nothing...Deny everything... Make counter accusations
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:06:51 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Also.. remember that you can always change a "no" to a "yes", but not the other way 'round...

I've been in Corrections 15years.... One broken leg and a whole lotta laughs
It'll end up being what you make it...

Ps. a useful mantra might be:  Admit nothing...Deny everything... Make counter accusations

I have worked in corrections for a while and just curious where / why you picked the name "Girlieman"??
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:44:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top