Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2006 4:23:30 AM EDT
Hello,

My name is Thomas, and just graduated on October 03, 2005 from the Eastern Missouri Police Academy, and I have no job yet.

My question is if i get Glock certified, do you think that will imporove my chances of getting a job. I have tried numerous departments around the St. Louis area, and no luck yet.

Another question is if I don't belong to a agency just yet, will Glock allow me to attend one of their courses to become certified.  All I have really is POST cerrification; also could you tell me how much it will cost.  

This is one thing that i trully enjoy doing ,and I think I would benefit an agency by alreally being certified, and they don't have to fork out the bill.

Thank you in advance

ThomasAny responses are greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:53:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm guessing you mean Glock armorer's certification, which runs $100.

www.glocktraining.com

Any training while you're job hunting will be beneficial, certainly better than just sitting around.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:43:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Agree with Bonk, keep up on training and certs while looking for a job.

So are these agencies not hiring or what is the story?  Dont worry bud, you will find a job.

Be Safe
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:25:18 AM EDT
[#3]
The Glock Cert itself won't get you a job but an accumalation LE certs in general will. I dont know about LA but here in FL you have to be with an agency to attend most advanced LE courses so it would be benificial to get on as a reserve even with a podunck department that way you get experience and the oppurtuniy to get advanced training.

As for the glock armorer's course, it's only 8 hrs long any signifigant training that LEAs look at will be around 40 hrs but it all helps. I just graduated the course and it was about $100 and you either had to be a LEO or sponsored by a gun dealer.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:23:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hello,

My name is Thomas, and just graduated on October 03, 2005 from the Eastern Missouri Police Academy, and I have no job yet.

My question is if i get Glock certified, do you think that will imporove my chances of getting a job. I have tried numerous departments around the St. Louis area, and no luck yet.

Another question is if I don't belong to a agency just yet, will Glock allow me to attend one of their courses to become certified.  All I have really is POST cerrification; also could you tell me how much it will cost.  

This is one thing that i trully enjoy doing ,and I think I would benefit an agency by alreally being certified, and they don't have to fork out the bill.

Thank you in advance

Thomas

Any responses are greatly appreciated.

There are many agencies in MO hiring.  Do a search for "police jobs in MO" and you'll find a web site with quite a few job openings.  You might not be able to work in your area though.  

I doubt that being Glock armorer certified will really help.  One thing to be aware of for first time LEOs.  The department admin types that will hire you aren't too interested in the type of firearms training that you have...whether actual shooting or the armorers course.  They might view you as a gun nut who would make a crappy cop.  Not that you are that but many admin types are leery of first time cops who are into firearms....and not all for bad reason!  There are some people who are very good at shooting and firearms but would make crappy cops just as there are great cops who can't shoot worth a damn.  I wouldn't mention any advanced firearms type of training for your first job.  If you leave your agency and take a position with another one then it's a good idea to have advanced training in firearms but I wouldn't mention it for your first LE job.  

But if you have the time and money to go to the class...go for it.  It will never hurt you in the long term.  I just wouldn't mention it when you apply.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:48:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the advice,

To Sballa25: do i need to go to the missouri highway patrol academy or does my POST cert. qualify me.

Tom
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:55:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Thomas

Any responses are greatly appreciated.

The glocktraining.com page says that it is open to Law Enforcement Personnel and Certified Glock Dealers. I don't think they will consider you an LEO since you don't have a job yet. On the registration form it lists Active Law Enforcement as the requirement, then asks for rank, etc.

As far as training, anything you do before you get hired always looks good on your application and during the interview process. Other than the fact that you bring some type of skill to the agency, it also shows a willingness and commitment to learn more about the job. Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:19:22 AM EDT
[#7]
You would need to attend the Highway Patrol academy.  I know you have already been through one POST academy (prolly the 600 hour course), but every one who is hired by the patrol has to go through.  It is a six month long academy.   You have to live in the dormitory while in the academy.  You are released on Friday afternoon/evening and have to return on Sunday night.  One plus to the academy is that you are paid a full salary while in the academy.  So if you currently rent right now and got in the academy, a possiblity is getting rid of your place and living with your parents or a friend on the weekends to save yourself some money.  

The Patrol is currently accepting applications.  I cant' remember the deadline for the applications, I want to say it is early March.  Call Troop C and ask to speak to a recruiter or stop by Troop headquarters.  Troop C headquarters is on US 40, i don't remember the exit, it is about 2 miles west of I-270.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:43:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I agree.

Glock Armorers - like me - are a dime a dozen. Nothing special about it. And getting it assumes you'll go to an agency that uses the Glock and or needs an armorer.

Concentrate on training. But the Glock cert won't help you get a job.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:44:18 AM EDT
[#9]
A friend of mine went to the "other side" and is working for Butler PD in MO. He said they were hiring and has been trying to get me to go. But that is to much snow for me. Look them up it has been a few months but they still might have openings
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:39:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Avid,

this link may be helpful for you.

http://www.learfield.com/gestalt/go.cfm?objectid=210A464E-A2D2-43C5-947369D2ADA6B7FC
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top