Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2006 3:03:18 PM EDT
Our department carries the Glock 21.  We have had our guns for about 5 years and they are serial-numbered in the D range.  One of our officers recently had the back rails break off of his gun at the frame and the gun went full-auto on him at the range.  While some of our range officers were researching if anyone else had experienced this problem, they were told that LAPD had recently adopted the Glock 21 but had banned it from use after several failures to fire.  I hadn't heard that LAPD had adopted Glocks and I definitely haven't heard anything about these failures to fire.  The failures were supposedly caused by abnormal wear on the firing pin safeties.  We have seen abnormal looking wear on the firing pin safeties but we haven't had anyone experience a failure to fire with our guns...yet.
Has anyone else heard of any of this?  Please let me know.
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm issued a Glock 22.  My backup/off duty is a Glock 26.  I also have a Glock 17 and have carried a Glock 19 in the past.  

I have never had any problems with any of them.  

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:24:28 PM EDT
[#2]
nope g21 is in great shape in and out. Maybe the officer should take better care of his gun
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:24:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I think I saw something on glocktalk.com about that.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:13:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I've seen it printed several places. They were having light strike problems, which Glock seems to have resolved.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:18:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Well I use a model 21 and would never use anything but Glock, so I'm hoping its not that true
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:27:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I have only seen two rail failures on the 21....both were early models and shot to death. One jammed and the other still fired with a rail missing/broken loose.

As for the 22 and 23, that is where the problem was. Thus the reason for the recall.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:54:59 PM EDT
[#7]
don't know if they banned them, however based on their (or someone else's) discovery of mechanical problems other agengies have contacted glock. Glock paid for our agency to send back all G21's for whatever they plan on doing to them. Only a handful of our department used it anyway...most used the G17.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:52:11 AM EDT
[#8]
My department banned them because they are an evil handgun that could go off by simply looking at them the wrong way, and because we are not professional enough for the Glock.    Chief even sent out the tape of the infamous Glock 40 to all the Glock supporters.  

One of my fellow Officers asked me to look at his personel gun after he was getting light primer strikes.  I sprayed some gun scrubber down the firing pin hole and black goo came out.  Worked fine after that.  I asked him what he used to clean it.  He told me break free about four years earlier.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:19:02 PM EDT
[#9]
LAPD is pulling all the Glock .45ACPs from service due to light strikes. The other calibers seem to be fine.

Sigmonster
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top