Posted: 1/26/2006 11:36:49 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:08:04 PM EDT
[#1]
It's been years and I still get cravings
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:04:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It's been years and I still get cravings

I dont blame you, its the only way I make it through a shift, ecspecially the winter when we ride around for 12 hours and never get a call and only maybe stop a few cars.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:48:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I quit probably 4 or 5 years ago.  Had to, age, life insurance, and my children asked me too.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:23:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a dip in at all times when I'm at work. It's not a problem with the bossman since I don't spit, and I never have more than a good pinch in . If it were double horseshoes I'm sure it'd be a different story.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:12:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I have to have a good bit of chew a couple of times a day when I work, and when I drive more than 30 minutes somewhere.  Now that my wife is pregnant it seems I chew more and more at home too.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:52:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm an occasional dipper.  Depends on what I'm doing.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:06:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:24:38 PM EDT
[#8]
We're not allowed to chew/dip/smoke or off duty...something to do with the Heart & Lung Act and the presumption that LEO's have an increased risk of cancer and heart disease already.  The current city health gurus are kind of ambivalent about it, and the only way anyone gets called for a random nicotine test is if he's dumb enough to be doing it front of someone who cares.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:19:07 AM EDT
[#9]
back before we built our new jail we just pit in the halls as the trustees mopped!

Otherwise I carry my 20oz bottle
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:22:44 AM EDT
[#10]

from the GD thread
The nicotine is out of your system within 72 hours of your last smoke/chew.

So 3 days after your last bit o nicotine you'll pass a nic test?  is this true?

Looking to get hired within the next 6 months or so. Quit smoking in October, been dipping since then while I get back in shape to take the PAT.  
Most departments down here state no tobacco use for 12 months before they'll hire you, but the recruiter Ive been dealing with at the local CC/academy says no regular tobacco useage in the prior 6 months.

Also is the heart and lung bill an actual law or what?  Ive seen some departments adhere to it, while others ignore it completely.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:47:11 PM EDT
[#11]
95% of the guys I work with are dippers. Mainly Copenhagen.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:02:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Our department policy is you do not drink coffee, smoke cigarettes, chew tobacco or chewing gum in uniform.  I regularly violate 3 out of the 4 working midnights.  

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:49:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Our department policy is you do not drink coffee, smoke cigarettes, chew tobacco or chewing gum in uniform.  I regularly violate 3 out of the 4 working midnights.  

Cant drink coffee, what the hell kind of policy is that.  I have never heard of anything like that before.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:50:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:55:19 AM EDT
[#15]
There is no way in hell I would get through a shift without my coffee and bubblegum.  Granted, I'm not walking up on calls or sitting in on interviews with a hot cup of java, but still.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:01:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
We're not allowed to chew/dip/smoke or off duty...something to do with the Heart & Lung Act and the presumption that LEO's have an increased risk of cancer and heart disease already.  The current city health gurus are kind of ambivalent about it, and the only way anyone gets called for a random nicotine test is if he's dumb enough to be doing it front of someone who cares.

no way...for real?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:04:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:20:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I was good and clean off the nicotine for well over a year.  When I hit the academy, myself and a bunch of my classmates had fallen back into it within a month or two, stress and what not.  I don't go into muster without at least a half tin these days because I don't want to hit up the Quickey for it in uniform  We have a fleet, not personal rides, and it's not totally uncommon to see a used spitter in a checked out vehicle that someone forgot to toss, I have never heard anyone complain.  Also our PAIC (Chief) and Sups dip, so I don't see any problems in the immediate future.

Aside from all that, I will be makind my best attempt to switch to gum in about 3 months.  Definately appears to be affecting my work.  Ever since I started back up, my heart beats like a freight train every time I try and run someone down.  Does anyone else notice this.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:42:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Can you have doughnuts? Damn!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:57:18 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

RANDOM NICOTINE TESTS?  Holy Cow, what has the world come to.  They start that crap down here, and I'll be happy to let someone else do this job.  There is no increased risk of cancer for public safety personnel based on their occupation.  There is however a significantly higher risk to tobacco users.  Good gosh, how did you guys let them slip that one over on you?

It was in place before I got there in 1998, started in 1992 IIRC.  Now, how they can prohibit an otherwise completely legal substance, I don't know, but I have been called in exactly once the whole time I have been here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top