Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2006 12:29:58 AM EDT
We rotate shifts every two months here. Without fail the only time I get called to court is when I am on dogwatch.
We get the subpoenas then we wait for the stand by notice....then we wait to see if the case is really going to trial.
Then some ADA will call and say we need you here NOW.
So we go downtown and waste a day while the lawyers play their games and everthing gets reset.
Then we do it all again and the defendant pleads out and we never set foot in the court.
Happened to me this week and I ended up being awake for a day and a half.
On a friggin DWI case from 2 years ago.
We get no respect from the DA here. We get "comp" time for going to court so not like I am making money on the deal.
The juvenile court here is the worst. I got off shift at 0700 and was there at the court at 0830....and there I was...in a waiting room full of kids books and videos until 1600.
At which time I was released without ever testifying.
By the way, "The Lion King" is a good movie.
Back at work at 2230.
I hate lawyers on both sides now.
The only time I got treated right  by a DA was in Ft. Worth when I was there for a murder trial.
I reckon if you catch a killer you get some respect but how often does that happen?
Guess this was a rant.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:59:20 AM EDT
[#1]
It's just bad luck man.  I hate it when it happens, but it seems like 70% of the time I set up interviews or have a trial, I'm calling someone in who's off-duty.  Or worse just came off duty.  

On the other hand, it's nice to see it's not just me.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:26:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh I swear out DA has my schedule.  I always get at 0400 and have to be in court at 0730.  So I am lucky if i get 3 hours of sleep before court.  Its SUCKS!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top