Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2006 7:49:52 PM EDT
like a light switch

I'm referring to my workday and the stress that I encounter, especially at the end of my shift
I wish when I hit the parking lot that it would be over, but it wont go away
Alot of times the stress is my co-workers, but tonite it was a scumbag Inmate

I've been home for about an hour and a half and I'm finally feeling better
I would have hit the gym on the way out but my head was pounding
Also the reason why I didn't settle for alcohol either
Instead I came home took some tylenol and Browsed the forums here for awhile

Perhaps it's time for me to see EAP
I'd say between '98-2002 that I probably helped to process thru 30,000 Inmates
The last few years my duties have varied
After 16 years of dealing with criminal scum perhaps I'm reached a breaking point
( not to mention some of my less than illustrious co-workers )

Administration constantly screws with us
Our Union is feeble
The Dept of Justice has de-nutted us
Instead of telling an unruly SOB STFU and sit down, you have to ad nauseum negotiate and pander to these criminal scum
Our own SBI / IAU unit will investigate any Complaint against Correction Staff

I don't know that I can finish out my career sometimes

I gotta go to bed now Thanks for Listening and alllowing me to vent here
I have no other place to turn right now and the wife just doesn't understand
Tomorrow truly is Friday for me and then two days off   I need it
Thanks Again  Be safe out there
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:40:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry to hear that things are going that way. Few things you can do....

#1 Is blow it off...this may be hard to Type A personalities that get into this job in the first place, but basically look at it from the viewpoint that he's staying, you're going home. You are doing just what you need for your paycheck, nothing more. Who cares what an inmate says? If he's a problem, and there is the risk of complaint against you, let a sup that gets paid more handle the issue.

#2 Look for employment at another agency. I know this is not always ideal, or even workable. Sometimes you just might need a change. Do you have the option to try to go to the road? Dispatch? How about a smaller agency within your jurisdiction? The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, and every agency has its BS, but sometimes it's just better for everyone to look for a agency that meets your style.

#3 Look for better or other stress relievers. When I had an issue with a sheriff who has since been voted out, the weight of the stress on me was very hard on me. I looked at the boards of Police One, Calibre Press, and others. I saw the different complaints that other officers had. It was almost cathartic reading these, as I realized there are some really fubared agencies out there and mine didn't look so bad. It also let me get stuff off my chest with people that knew where I was coming from, very much like you have done here. Sounds like you already have some methods forgetting rid of stress, such as the gym, but be careful that it does not affect your marriage, since you made the comment your wife doens't understand. She may not. But be careful, and don't tun to the booze. That also makes careers and lives tougher.

Hope you make it. I try and deal with how the BS is at my job daily, and somedays are easier than others. How you ultimately do deal with it will determine the length of your career in a time when no good officers wants the job it seems.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:54:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Sorry to hear that things are going that way. Few things you can do....

#1 Is blow it off...this may be hard to Type A personalities that get into this job in the first place, but basically look at it from the viewpoint that he's staying, you're going home. You are doing just what you need for your paycheck, nothing more. Who cares what an inmate says? If he's a problem, and there is the risk of complaint against you, let a sup that gets paid more handle the issue.

#2 Look for employment at another agency. I know this is not always ideal, or even workable. Sometimes you just might need a change. Do you have the option to try to go to the road? Dispatch? How about a smaller agency within your jurisdiction? The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, and every agency has its BS, but sometimes it's just better for everyone to look for a agency that meets your style.

#3 Look for better or other stress relievers. When I had an issue with a sheriff who has since been voted out, the weight of the stress on me was very hard on me. I looked at the boards of Police One, Calibre Press, and others. I saw the different complaints that other officers had. It was almost cathartic reading these, as I realized there are some really fubared agencies out there and mine didn't look so bad. It also let me get stuff off my chest with people that knew where I was coming from, very much like you have done here. Sounds like you already have some methods forgetting rid of stress, such as the gym, but be careful that it does not affect your marriage, since you made the comment your wife doens't understand. She may not. But be careful, and don't tun to the booze. That also makes careers and lives tougher.

Hope you make it. I try and deal with how the BS is at my job daily, and somedays are easier than others. How you ultimately do deal with it will determine the length of your career in a time when no good officers wants the job it seems.

have to agree
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:30:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Keep doing the gym thing to get the physical aggression out in a constructive manner.

Take up a new hobby - something totally different from what you currently do. This will give your mind something to dwell on instead of that crap we see at work.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Kudos for stearing clear of the alcohol as an escape, even with the headache.

I try to do the "locker routine" - I don't think about work until I open the locker to get ready. When I close it at the end of shift, I leave everything in there mentally. Not paid to screw with it otherwise.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:11:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Nothing wrong with seeking some help Turnkey.
I could not work corrections myself, I have to believe that your job is a hell of a lot more stressful than mine as a patrolman.
I don't have to deal with criminals ALL day.
Try to keep your perspective brother.
I have had many sleepless days / nights myself. Sometimes the shift stays with you for awhile.
Some good advice already here. Take care and I wish you well.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:33:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Go fishing or shooting.  If the weather is bad or the range is closed, head on over to General Discussion and correct the internet legal experts in the cop bashing/DWI threads.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:57:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Go fishing or shooting.  If the weather is bad or the range is closed, head on over to General Discussion and correct the internet legal experts in the cop bashing/DWI threads.

Unfortunately you can't tell them to F*** off in there either.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the support fellas

Today was a long day, about 12 hours
Right after I went to the gym and worked out for about an hour

I just wanted to check in and once again appreciate the outlet here for venting
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:49:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:47:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks for the support fellas

Today was a long day, about 12 hours
Right after I went to the gym and worked out for about an hour

I just wanted to check in and once again appreciate the outlet here for venting.

In addition to the "working out" at the gym (I'm assuming weights?), maybe get a boxing/kickboxing/MA thing going?  Even sparring.  You know anyone who runs mini-marathons competitively or for fun?  What about triathlons?

Ex brother-in-law was a "prison babysitter," as he called it.  Except for a high school buddy who is now a fishing guide in South Texas, I don't know that I've ever seen a person fish more than the ex BIL.  

Oh, and +1 on Ocorvo's "take up a new hobby" advice.  Archery, or fly-fishing, if you're not already into them.  Something that'll get you out of doors.  Or, if you prefer the indoors, woodworking?  Just throwin' stuff out there.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:59:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Alot of times the stress is my co-workers

99.9% of the BS where I am is with co-workers, mostly administrators. Like you I have seen and done tons of shit in my 18 yrs, and it has gotten so much worse for the CO that actually wants to do his job in the past few years, that I have pretty much given up. I no longer try to "change" things.

Got a problem that may turn into someone scrutinizing what your decision will be? As long as it is not an emergency, get a supervisor to make the call. That way, you can place the blame on them if need be. Where I am, no matter what a supervisor does wrong, they will not be penalized, so why not let them make the decision?

I have come to the realization that I am just "another body" in the Dept.'s eyes, and that is fine with me. I go to work, do my job, and go home. I have a few more years left, and until that day comes when I can throw my shield on the bosses desk, as long as I get paid every other week, I am good to go.

It is just a paycheck.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:12:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I ve been on the job 22 years with the agency. 4 years part time next county to the south of me, and 1 year at the seminole resv, and  I m still here and still dealing with all the same crap. But I will tell you, the time has come that I can flip the switch and shut it completely out now. Yes it has been hard and I have not been a nice person at times. My wife and the rest of the family has seen a change lately. When I turn on  to my street I check out of service,turn it off, lock patrol veh door, and start focusing on my private life. In a sense I leave it all in the veh. If you catch my drift. Im on the home stretch not too far from cashing in. Another thing that has eased alot of us in my agency is the pay and benees have gotten better, because of our new union. Dont have to go out and work all the details and overtime as much.Find yourselves something to focus on outside of the job and relax. The major ask me why I have been taking so many courses/instructor related lately. My answer was, there is life after this job is over and I will be reborn again. There is alot of private contract work out there and places to go.  I have reired LE friends out there right now earning $$$$$ in the private sector and some are working there own hours. Adios Amigos, Its been a pleasure. Keep on kicking ass!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top