Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2006 3:44:26 PM EDT
So,

I just got home from my first day and all in all mine went quite well.  I was curious though what first day horror stories there were floating around.  Anyone got one?

-C4-
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:58:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Not the first day, but on day 6 I crashed my first squad about  2 miles from the academy.     I rear ended a truck in a snow storm just after telling my partner that I was comfortable driving in snow conditions.  We still have a good laugh about it.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:38:58 PM EDT
[#2]
First day of my academy, we were passing our duty weapons into the cadre for lockup and inspection, and one of the guys handed the chief cadre a loaded, yes you read it correctly a LOADED weapon.  Needless to say he never made it too far.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:37:00 AM EDT
[#3]
This is going back a few years but my favorite is the recruits that show up on the first day and while they're in class their vehicles are getting worked over by the K9's.  There's always a couple idiots that show up with marijuana (or worse) in their cars.  Instant BYE BYE.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:08:07 AM EDT
[#4]
My first three days  we spent filling out paperwork and listening to the benefits people drone on about dental plans.

We lost three cadets.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:08:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
This is going back a few years but my favorite is the recruits that show up on the first day and while they're in class their vehicles are getting worked over by the K9's.  There's always a couple idiots that show up with marijuana (or worse) in their cars.  Instant BYE BYE.

That happend at our academy too or at least we were told that.

You guys got to go HOME during the week at the academy?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:20:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:42:37 AM EDT
[#7]
We did a physical assessment on our first day.   We had one guy puke and we didn't loose anybody out of the class until the last month (we actually lost two).    Our class was pretty good about knowing what to expect.  (All open enrollement, nobody was hired).
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:17:55 PM EDT
[#8]
We always have one guy show up the first day for the academy in jeans & a t-shirt instead of a suit.  That & them telling everyone they aren't the real police & won't be for over a year. Big confidence booster.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:48:08 PM EDT
[#9]
My first day was on an unusually cold December day standing in line for about four hours outside with about 1100 other recruits.  This is while the instructors walked the line working over random recruits.  Other than that the Academy was'nt bad.  It was more of a pain leaving that agency to take a job with a smaller and better paying agency.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#10]
The first day of the accademy for me was a relief, I was expecting Army style basic training all over again and with my smartass mouth, I realy wasn't looking foreward to it but it wasn't bad at all and I got to go home every night. There were a few guys who just didn't show up after the first day, I guess they just didn't like it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:49:34 PM EDT
[#11]
During the physical fitness test on the first day of my academy in MT we had an older Deputy collapse and die as he crossed the finish line. He left behind a wife and I believe three children.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:28:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Was not the first day but during our review of DV laws one recruit did not understand that you can't beat your wife under certain conditions. "But what if she calls him some really nasty names? You can't hit her for that?"
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:51:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Luckily, our flight from our EOD was delayed and we didn't arrive to the Academy until 10 pm.  So instead of the usual get off the bus with 10 smokey clad instructors screaming at us to hurry up, organize, etc., security met us with a note instructors to go to registration, get our ID's and sack out

On our first day of PT we had a couple of people pass out.  Got to love Artesia, NM in June.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:59:34 AM EDT
[#14]
I remember my first day in the academy we were yelled at and drilled by a former marine drill sgt. who was currently the chief of Seven Hills(since passed away).  We lost 2 or 3 people after the first week because this man would push you till you broke down.  To this day I still respect him for the PT he gave us and the verbal bashings he would dish out.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#15]
My first week of academy was alittle rough if you didn't say yes sir, no sir it was 25 push-ups. The class keep track for me because they thought it was funny. I did over 500 push-ups the first week. Not including what I had to do for PT.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:34:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Its amazing how many states are still running stress based academys. Thank God Oklahomas academy is an academic academy. If I wanted boot camp again, Id have done it twice.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 11:33:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Like the above post read, no stress based stuff here. We came in our first day, were given our materials discussed the curriculum, time frame, etc. We did however have several " come to Jesus " meeting in the first week to weed out those who needed it. We lost two guys one who ended up with some criminal charges and another they gave the boot to from something i can't remember.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top