Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 2:52:59 PM EDT
   I been thinking about my future alot. I want to fly but don't really want to fly for airlines. So I got to thinking, police helicopters. How hard is it to be one? Does it pay well? Also how about an Officer? I know the job is  dangerous but, how dangerous? Do officers make good (enogh) money?

P.S. Sorry for crappy paragraph. Don't know how else to word it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:31:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure it would be a great idea to plan on being a helicopter pilot for a law enforcement agency as a career.  There are an extremely limited number of positions available, not many agencies have helicopters.

If you really want to fly birds, I'd recommend the U.S. Army.  The chopper pilots I was around, including former brother in law, had it pretty good.  You never know, once you're in and have a few years under your belt, you could always start shopping for a job with an agency somewhere.  I'm sure there's a lot of networking within the helicopter pilot community.

Just a suggestion, good luck in whatever you choose!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:21:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I've met all sorts of LEO pilots. Most were prior military pilots. I know one who left to fly for US Customs, he is a Blackhawk pilot and was in the Army also.

In some agencies you will be a Pilot/Paramedic, some just LEO stuff, etc etc.

I've known several pilots and paramedics who became pilot LEOs, don't know any LEOs who became pilots while being a LEO.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:58:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I can not image that there is a department that would foot the bill for pilot school when the US Army turns out many well trained squared away pilots every year.  14 weeks in the academy is chump change compared to what it takes to be a qualified helicopter pilot.

Join the Army...See the world....fly cool birds.....get an honorable discharge.....go join a PD and fly!

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:31:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

P.S. Sorry for crappy paragraph. Don't know how else to word it.

If you want to be in Law Enforcement or a pilot you'd better learn how to word it.

Don't get into Law Enforcement for the money!

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:52:18 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 don't get into law enforcement for the money, most of my friends includeing myself has a second job of some kind,
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:58:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Some LE agencies pay decently but none pay great.   Army aviation is a great way to go, most services require a 4yr degree to fly whereas army aviation can get by with 2.   You might just like it enough to stay with it.    I was AF law enforcement but wish I'd have tried the Army warrant officer program.   I wouldnt mess with LE if you can fly choppers for a living  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:17:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I can not image that there is a department that would foot the bill for pilot school when the US Army turns out many well trained squared away pilots every year.  14 weeks in the academy is chump change compared to what it takes to be a qualified helicopter pilot.

Join the Army...See the world....fly cool birds.....get an honorable discharge.....go join a PD and fly!

Regards,
Gary

I'm planning on aviation college.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:37:55 PM EDT
[#8]
You're going to college to pay to learn how to fly, come out with a lot of debt, then go into a low-paying Law Enforcement job??

You wanna do fun stuff, make your money doing civil short hops, and sub out doing aeromedical.... or be a Reserve Police officer.

-Shawn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top