Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2006 10:07:41 PM EDT
A few months ago I started a thread because I was going to put together a patrol rifle for my brother as a Christmas gift.  (I've since lost track of the original thread).  I was able to pull it together, and I wanted to get some opinions on things he may still need; or need improving on.

Background:  My brother is working patrol in mid-sized suburban city south of SLC, UT.  He is not a "gun guy," although I do consider him to be a proficient shooter.  It's just not his thing.  During a visit out there he had mentioned that LEOs can carry their own patrol rifles, so I offered an old Mini-14 Ranch that I took in a trade, but never shot.  A few months later he called me on it and asked if he could really have it.  

It got me thinking about what would make a good patrol rifle and maximize his chances for coming home each night.  Pretty soon I had abandoned the Mini idea, and decided to build an AR.

Purchased most components here (either EE or dealer), but got a good deal on a couple items from a LEO buddy of mine.

So here it is:

RRA Post-ban fake flash-hider M4 profile flat-top upper.  This thing looked brand new, and shoots like a champ.  ZERO problems with it.  I put about 400 rounds through it to ensure function/accuracy.  Put it on a Bushy complete lower with collapsible (4 position?) stock.  I had planned on an A1 stock but someone here was pretty adamant about having an adjustable.  I'm not crazy about the fake flash hider, but I'm not a rich guy, and I got a good deal.  It certainly can't flash worse than a Mini!

I put a YHM BUIS on it; the A1 style that's tougher to adjust.  Used in this capacity, the sight settings won't need to be moved in the field; and this way they're less likely to be accidentally changed.  I bought an EoTech (the revision before F) and a Surefire "dedicated forend weaponlight," (http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/carfnbr/265/sesent/00).  The Eotech and Surefire were used but work great.

Purchased 3 Wolff 20 rd mag springs and put them in 3 military used Colt 20s I already had. The mags always worked fine, but I didn't want to send him out with 30 year old springs.  

I shot the snot out of the mags with new springs to ensure function.  100%

The only thing I didn't get time for was a sling; so I just looped some para-cord around the stock and tied on an old black web sling I found at the last minute.  It's not HSLD, but it will probably work just fine.  With him not being a gunnie, I worry about some of the more complicated units that require him to loop up, or hook up.

We had a "how it works," and cleaning session, but didn't have time to go to the range, which I regret.  I sent him with some rounds for practice, and he says his PD offers a course, which will be perfect.

He was really pretty blown away when I gave it to him, after he was expecting the bare Mini.  I am glad he has it, though I don't expect it'll get much use, other than bouncing around the back of the unit.  Speaking of which, I'm assuming a hard case is a must?

I'd include a picture, but I lietrally don't know how to post it.  I don't have it hosted anywhere, just my computer.

So what else, besides practice, does he need, or need to be aware of?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:59:34 PM EDT
[#1]
It sounds like you covered everything for him. About the only thing I can think of is make sure he buys and keeps extra batteries for the light and Eotech with him and maybe a spare bulb for the Surefire.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:47:21 PM EDT
[#2]
great job!

If you email me the photo, I'll host it for a while on my photobucket acct. and post it up here for you. check your IM for the email addy.

edit... got the pic. Here's the photo

here's a link to your original thread.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=76&t=407009
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:11:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow!  Need a brother?
As for a case, a soft case, like a blackhawk Discret Case, might be easier.  This is what I have my duty rifle in.  The side pocket is nice for a small spare parts kit, extra mags, batteries, etc.  A hard case is probably gonna be harder to move in and out of the car, shove in a locker, etc.  The case is well padded, and seems to have protected my rifle well so far.  

dp

<edited cause I can't type>
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:38:52 AM EDT
[#4]
OK, I was thinking a hard case was a must.  Maybe I'll look into those.  One issue is that I can probably get the same level of protection (if not convenience) with a $20 hard case vs. a $100 HSLD soft case...
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:21:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Go to the airsoft atlanta banner at the top of one of these pages and look for a TacForce discreet case.  It's an excellent knockoff of the blackhawk and It's about $45.00  Get A spares carrier for the batteries and make sure he has extra batteries.  Sling,  No big deal.   That's a highly personal thing.   Maybe a Trijicon front sight post.  Looks like you've got it all covered.  Nice job.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:39:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey, the pic came out pretty good.  Thanks npd!  I'll look up that soft case...
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:48:14 PM EDT
[#7]
TDI Arms makes a stock saddle in several colors. It has a battery compartment similar to a VLTOR or LMT that holds 3 lithium batteries per compartment. They also havea great cheek weld. While it is primarily designed for one of the new M4 collapsibles, you can make some easy alterations to a CAR stock to mount it.

http://www.tdi-arms.com/store.php?region=usa&pid=284

I can provode instruction for modifications to a CAR stock. Warning, you can't be Dremel shy.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:54:22 PM EDT
[#8]
+1 on the soft case.  I am not sue brand is as important as having some pockets for the various crap a patrol rifles needs.
IMO slings are a MUST on a patrol rifle.   WTF do you do with it when you don't have it in your hand and you need your hands free??????   I am a firm beliver in a sling that gets the rifle out of the way.
BTW, my Daddy gave me my first patrol rifle in 1978, a Win 94 in 30-30.  It spent a lot of time in the car with me, and I still have it to this date.  It is retired to safe queen status now, but I never felt under armed with it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:46:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Heck, I would carry it
You are a good brother!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top