Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2006 2:20:21 PM EDT
We had a call yestarday which started out as a man down not breathing.  We got further a few seconds later saying CPR was started.  Of course im gonna be on scene before Rescue, so im hoping CPR goes well.  A few more seconds later the caller changes his mind and says the guy is breathing and there is blood coming from his mouth.  We then learn in may be an OD.  I show up and enter the residence and the guy has been dead for a couple hours, there was no blood and no signs of breathing.  I asked the guy why he told 911 so many different stories, and he replied that if he changed his story that WE (leo and rescue) would get there quicker.  Now i dont know if this makes sense to anyone else, but it makes no sense to me.

So in conclusion we should teach ppl how to use the 911 system
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:01:16 PM EDT
[#1]
That's pretty dumb...
"Dead guy" seems to get an absurdly fast response from us and by most of the crew, especially any Sgt.s and Lt.s that are out!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:04:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, DRT's are usually interesting and draw everyone out.

I got a call once for "foot injury to a young female" no furter. Middle of summer I'm thinking all kinds of stuff like lawnmower vs. toe.  

She stubbed her toe on a speaker and called 911 for it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:56:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Reminds me of the idiots who call in disturbance with weapon, gun, knife etc. When all they have is some girls exboyfriend parked in front of the house.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:24:04 PM EDT
[#4]
That call is nothing....

Do you guys never receive the usual requests for directions, eating preferences, or furniture moving assistance??

Those are the ones that truly need the 911 education.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:29:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Sort of like the misinformed folks who call 911 thinking they'll be seen quicker in the ER if they go in an ambulance.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:29:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Heres one..

A dept in the next city to us got toned out for there ladder truck to help the public works dept change light bulbs in the street lights.   We never let them forget it either
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:28:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's one for you....

Just took a call from a homeowner that wanted to file a RAPE report for his dog because a stray dog jumped into his fenced backyard, made it with his prize show dog, then jumped back out of the yard into the darkness of night.  

Fockin' hysterical caller too.  I don't know how many times I had to explain that it was a civil matter.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:39:15 PM EDT
[#8]
We have people who call and tell the dispatcher they have an 'extremely large' pasture fire, so we are rolling down the road looking for smoke because a large fire should make a lot of smoke.  Only when we get on scene the fire is the size of a large campfire.  This happens on a fairly regular basis.
I guess they think the larger the fire is the faster we'll get there.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:46:45 AM EDT
[#9]
WOW!

Well maybe "YOU" could have got there quicker if he called a couple hours before
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:02:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
We had a call yestarday which started out as a man down not breathing. .. We got further a few seconds later saying CPR was started. ... A few more seconds later the caller changes his mind and says the guy is breathing and there is blood coming from his mouth.  We then learn in may be an OD.  

I show up and enter the residence and the guy has been dead for a couple hours, there was no blood and no signs of breathing. So in conclusion we should teach ppl how to use the 911 system

We have an "educational program" in IL - it's called "disorderly conduct"

(720 ILCS 5/26‑1) (from Ch. 38, par. 26‑1)
   Sec. 26‑1. Elements of the Offense.
   (a) A person commits disorderly conduct when he knowingly:
       (1) Does any act in such unreasonable manner as to  alarm or disturb another and to provoke a breach of the peace; or
(9) Transmits or causes to be transmitted in any manner to the police department or fire department of any municipality or fire protection district, or any privately owned and operated ambulance service, a false request for an ambulance, emergency medical technician‑ambulance or emergency medical technician‑paramedic knowing at the time there is no reasonable ground for believing that such assistance is required;

ETA - if you guys think it's bad in the public sector, listen to this:

When I worked for .mil, a recruit with some sort of diabetic complication that slipped through the entry physical started acting goofy. He got "confined to rack" (bed) early that evening. When they kicked everybody up the next morning @ 0530, he was d_e_d dead.

As a result, the recruit command told all the company commanders to call the ambulance for everything.

Now it doesn't matter that the base has a branch clinic on site that's open 24/7, with a van and duty driver to pick up the recruits. What matters is that it may take the driver 10 minutes to get there. So what do they do? Call 9-1-1. For hangnails and assorted owies.

After close to a year of this, one of the dispatchers told one of the CC's that 9-1-1 was for real emergencies, like chest pain or difficulty breathing.

Their reaction? "Ricky Recruit has chest pain... and a hangnail" or "Ricky Recruit has difficulty breathing - and an owie"

They routinely run 5-600 calls per month - 98% of which are to recruit side.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:18:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:43:20 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Kinda off topic, but one of my favorite collars was a priority 1 call of a rape in progress (about 3:30 pm) girl screaming "he's raping me OMG!!"  Dispatch starts 2 units code even tho:  

Problem 1: It's from a payfone

Problem 2: It's just in time school is let out

Problem 3: Caller refuses to identify

Problem 4: I am in the intersection where the payfone is the exact minute the call comes out and see two 13yo girls giggling as they hang up.

I have never seen two more terrified looks in my life as when I screeched into the pklot C3 (for effect) right in front of them.  Two misdemeanors and two very angry parents later, I don't think those girls will ever call 911 again regardless of a real emergency.

You mean some good liberal CD lawyer didn't get em off because their parent's were abusive conservatives?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:46:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:46:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:48:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I've had police officer's call in pulseless but breathing.  Not sure how that works.  

You to huh?  My favorite is still the "chest pain" call.  Get on scene and it's a GSW to the chest.  Well, I guess that'd hurt
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:48:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I guess it's fortunate that most folks can't seem to find the 11 on the phone LOL
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:50:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

We have an "educational program" in IL - it's called "disorderly conduct"

(720 ILCS 5/26‑1) (from Ch. 38, par. 26‑1)
   Sec. 26‑1. Elements of the Offense.
   (a) A person commits disorderly conduct when he knowingly:
       (1) Does any act in such unreasonable manner as to  alarm or disturb another and to provoke a breach of the peace; or
(9) Transmits or causes to be transmitted in any manner to the police department or fire department of any municipality or fire protection district, or any privately owned and operated ambulance service, a false request for an ambulance, emergency medical technician‑ambulance or emergency medical technician‑paramedic knowing at the time there is no reasonable ground for believing that such assistance is required;

I wish our disordly conduct would cover number 9, that would solve a lot of problems.  But disordly conduct is a great law!!!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:21:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Here in our state we misdemeanor cite for misuse of 911.....hehe.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:28:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Got an update last night, the kid had been dead for atleast 8 or 9 hours, before this guy found him.  For some reason I dont think he was breathing.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:30:18 PM EDT
[#20]
This was my favorite of all time....

I worked at an old amusement park in the summers while in college handling security and such...well mid shift I hear the tones going off on the scanner one of our guys carried....tone after tone after tone after tone....I figured it was the end of the world time....  Then I hear...

Mass Causlty Alert...Mass Casualty Alert... XXXXX XXXX Park... Ferris Wheel Accident...Multiple Unknown Injuries and fatalities reported.

Holy Christ  I say....that's us!   Heck we're security and no one has called us?  Our paramedic who ran with the local ambulance corp had already grabed her gear and was looking for the injured.  I sent one of our guys to meet the responding units and clear a path and I joined the paramedic in search of the injured.  We looked high and we looked low around the ferris wheel...and nothing.

Finally one of the Carney's who worked there and saw the panicked look on my face said "whatcha looking for chief?  I said, we have report of mass casualties at the ferris wheel....half of the county's EMS is enroute here.  He starts laughing and points to rather "large" women setting over on a park bench nursing a skinned knee and elbow.  It seems the ferris wheel came to a rather abrupt stop when it was her turn to disembark.  Things in motion tend to stay in motion....well she popped the saftey bar and fell  forward out of the car approximately 9 inches to the ground....  Her late teen daughter panicked and ran to the nearest pay phone and dialed 911 indicating that there had been a ferris wheel accident and that there were bodies lying all over the ground.

17 pieces of apparatus later....we finally got the call canceled.  You can only imagine the scene as all these Trucks and Squads pulled up.  It was a sea of stretchers, gear, EMT's, Paramedics, Local Fire Fighters from every corner of the world, LEO's  and even a game warden.  What a circus!  I can laugh about it now...but at 20 years of age...my asshole was puckering!

Carry On,

Gary
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:09:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I've had police officer's call in pulseless but breathing.  Not sure how that works.  

Had an officer many years ago call in for a rescue because his prisoner was having dificulty breathing.

Well, if you categorize an absence of respirations as "dificulty" then I guess he was right.

It was the guy who'd swallowed a bunch of crack, fled from the PD then resisted (5 officers worth) before he was peppered and stuffed into the car.

Several months later the pepper vasodialation + cocaine intoxication problem became a little better known.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:51:24 AM EDT
[#22]
We pretty much had a call like this a few days ago.  The person told the dispatcher that the man wasn't breathing.  Well as it turns out rigor had set in.  So basically a Medic, Ambulance, and Truck were tied up for about 20 minutes for a guy that had obviously been dead for several hours.  

-C4-
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:48:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Halloween night this year I got sent to a 911 Hang-up, busy on all call backs.

Get there and the lady is sitting on her porch, ask her what's up, is anything wrong, etc.  She says "Oh I'm fine, I just wanted to know when the trick or treating was supposed to start."

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top