Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2006 7:42:41 PM EDT
I'm relativly new to firefighting and when i was in probie school we were told by alot of instructors they keep some trauma sheers, bailout rope/webbing, and door wedges in their turn-outs. Was wondering what yall have in yours.Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:06:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Look here for some suggestions.

Coat-
Electrician's folding knife with alarm box /panel keys & allen wrenches
Safety glasses
spare gloves (heavy "trauma" type)
matches (for cigars)
key tool from a K-tool set
6-in-1 screwdriver
door keepers (cut inner tube pieces)
elevator key (drop down type)
folding TFT spanner  
flat multi-wrench tool

Pants
(2) wooden wedges
sabrelight
9" channellock pliers
20' coil of 1" tubular webbing

If you listen to everyone, you'll carry more in your gear than on the rig!

I'd start with a couple of wedges, a length of webbing, a 4-in-1- or 6-in-1 screwdriver, a backup flashlight and a pair of wire cutters.

BTW, welcome to the site, and the biz!

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:32:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Right now the most important piece of gear I carry is the Grey matter between my ears You always need to be watching, listening, thinking and planing ahead 2 or 3 steps and playing the what if game trying to protect my people & me.

Now, as far as gear, we all are issued Morning Pride bunkers & Cairns 660 metro helmets. Sure I'd much rather have a leather lid, but the 660 ain't a bad helmet when ya look at all the other helmets out there. We are not allowed to purchase our own helmet either.

Boots are standard issue shoe fit rubbers, but due to back problems (what can I say I'm a retired military guy & have a bad back) I've been able to get Pro Warrington 5000's and they made a hell of a difference on the back strain ya get with rubber boots. I love my 5000's & even though they came out of my pocket I'd do it again in a second.

Flash hood and gloves, I could not tell ya. The flash hood is some kind of black carbon hood & just standard gloves with a crosstech moisture barrier.

Our bunkers are the zip up/velcro ones with a radio pocket & flashlight tab. I've got 2-3 pairs of medical gloves in the radio pocket & a "Big Ed" light on the coat. Ive also got my issued Shelby extrication gloves hanging off the flashlight tab with a glove keper so I can take em off if it's a fire and leave em in the engine as I really don't like crap hanging off my bunkers. Sometimes my dept issued (take home) Bendix/King radio ends up in the radio pocket as well.

Right coat pocket I've got a pair of lineman pliers and a exchangable tip 6n1 screwdriver.

Left pocket is for pogey bait and a short 10' chunk of webbing tied with a waterknot

On the right side bunker gear pants I've got a EMS pouch with a pair of EMT shears as we run quite a few crashes & they are used lots.

Right pocket of bunker pants is where I keep my structure fire gloves & res-q-rench.

Left bunker pocket I keep my rescue 50' flat webbing with 2 carabiner tied with waterknots (dual knots as this is a life line)
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:39:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I dont carry many things in my gear persay, its the things that are on my airpak that carries the bulk of it.  I carry a few more things than "self rescue", they are convenient rather than the must have type.  When I started this business I carried nothing extra.  After years and what seems like a million calls......I find myself carrying what I do because I want to.  It may not be the best, it may not be what others think is enough...or is too much.  You'll figure out what works and what doesnt....I know I have.  

Anyways.................

I have a "bucket boss"  brand pouch in one of the coat pockets that holds a few things like small wire cutters, masonry nails, utility knife, seatbelt cutter, small crescent wrench, and some craftsman collapsible screwdriver thing (comes in handy more around the station than on scene)     Other coat pocket has some webbing of various sized loops (2) 12, a 24, & a 72" I think. There is a suvivor light clipped to my coat with a modified piece to replace the plastic one they come with. Thermal liner pocket carries keys to all stations, & most  pull-stations.  Radio pocket carries the department radio.  Radio strap that I wear under my coat, carries mine.

I carry a short section of rope, 15ft or so coiled up, and a window punch in one of the pants pockets, thats it.  

I guess since  my  seat-harness is in my gear, so that warrants mentioning aswell.  

Vulcan boxlight, and 3 bags that carry hoisting/search rope, absolute last resort rope, and more webbing & related hardware;    are  clipped in various places on the airpak.  Since the halligan bar I carry is mine, does that make it part of my gear?
Few other specialty hand tools and shit like batteries for voice amp, backup lapel mic, reflective vest, safety glasses,  spare interior gloves, rope gloves, a spare hood,  some hard candy........and most importantly toilet paper are carried in a duffle bag.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 12:05:40 AM EDT
[#4]
20 foot of 1inch webbing, gloves, flashlights, radio.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Work gloves, Nomex hood, spring loaded punch, multi screwdriver, large diagonal cutters, issued radio, survivor flashlight, an albuterol inhaler, 2 pr latex gloves that I change out regularly, a wool watch cap, buck knife, two door wedges, sharpie marker, ballpoint pen, small spiral notepad.

Thinking of adding a length of 3/8ths static rope (25 ft)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top