Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2005 4:11:51 PM EDT
My chief, very much anti-AR, has suddenly taken a liking to the Remington 7615, and it looks like we're going to buy them.  Anyone using them?  Any issues?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:56:08 PM EDT
[#1]
A pump .223 for patrol use using AR mags....Now I have seen everything.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:56:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm telling you....If Remington would make a semi-auto version of this gun, it would sell a billion units to departments just like yours.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:08:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Any issues?

Just remember the bad guys will still have their AR's and AK's...
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:25:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I guess I should have been more serious in my reply.  While low in recoil I could imagine that follow-up shots would be slow due to the pump requirement, good luck should you be in a prone position.  I suppose all the same issue are faced with the ubiquitous pump shotty.  If your chief is against the use of an AR style rifle because of it's looks, perhaps he'd approve, dare I say it, the.......................
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:08:32 AM EDT
[#5]
My rangemaster has been playing with one. He has been letting the troops shoot it. Most have been very pleased with it. I can see the point of it for training and from an administrators standpoint (god I AM getting old) bu t personally I will stick with my AR.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:05:08 AM EDT
[#6]
It's kind of a case of "take this or take nothing".  Most of our 870's are at least 20 years old, and AR15's for general issue is not going to happen.  For some reason, however, the chief has really cottoned to the 7615 and has given the greenlight for an accellerated T&E and probable purchase of them.  Just looking for any advanced scoop on problems we may run into with them.

Don't get me wrong, I have a M4gery sitting in my safe that I would love to carry on the clock, as do a good number of other guys, enthusiasm is not an issue here.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:02:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Is there a reasons they only have iron sights and do not put a rail on top?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:35:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
A pump .223 for patrol use using AR mags....Now I have seen everything.

www.remingtonle.com/images/rifles/m7615.jpg

hahhahhha... my advice to you sir if you can't get an AR is to keep the shotguns
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:56:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Got a guy I work with who purchased one. It shoots fine and is accurate. We can carry pretty much what we want most guys carry mini 14 department issued. I carry my ar. The remington seems okay but it is sorta weird to have to pump it after using a semi auto rifle all the time.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:55:59 PM EDT
[#10]
We took one out for testing.  Found that the folks that sucked with the 870 still sucked with the 7615.  The barrel also leaves a nice burn on your hands too after shooting a mag or two.  Let the chief know about the goverment surplus M16s for $10-$20 dollars a rifle.  That may change his mind a bit.

My department use to think the AR15 looked too scary for the public and complaints would come in.  Lucky for us that decision was changed.  Not one complaint since we put our ARs in the squads.  If it's rifle kind of day, you wish the chief allowed the ARs.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:57:45 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I guess I should have been more serious in my reply.  While low in recoil I could imagine that follow-up shots would be slow due to the pump requirement, good luck should you be in a prone position.  I suppose all the same issue are faced with the ubiquitous pump shotty.  If your chief is against the use of an AR style rifle because of it's looks, perhaps he'd approve, dare I say it, the.......................
www.ruger.com/Firearms/images/Products/200L.gif

If i where you i would print this statement above and bring it to your chief Bonk!

VERY good point...what happens when you go prone!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:21:00 AM EDT
[#12]
One of the greatest selling points of the 7615 is the lack of retraining time an agency has to go through to get the guns on the streets.  

I've been trying to get riflrs in my department for a few years now and it isn't happening.  Primarily because it isnt community policing related and the SWAT commanders take ARs being in patrol's hands as an ego hit. Anyways, I've been looking at the 7615 as a possible alternate to Ars just to kinda make everyone a bit more recpetive.

Also, I prefer a rifle over a shotgun any day of the week; even if it is a pump action rifle.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:23:01 AM EDT
[#13]
My department is in the same boat.  
We T&E'd the 7615 and were not completely unhappy.  I would definitely prefer the AR platform, but unless personal owned were allowed, maintenance would be a definite problem.
We are looing for anyone who has gone with this to replace their 870's...
Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:33:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:46:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
One of the greatest selling points of the 7615 is the lack of retraining time an agency has to go through to get the guns on the streets.  

That was one of the things that attracted our brass to it - much shorter learning curve for the average (ie non-gun-junkie) cop.  Other than loading the magazine, the manual of arms is pretty much identical to the 870.

Anyone know anything about the basic training Remington suggests for the 7615?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:13:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
SWAT commanders take ARs being in patrol's hands as an ego hit.

I have heard this a few times.  Not an issue where I am, but I could see it coming up in the smaller depts.

NorCal

- Shame we have close to 2000 officers.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:46:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I think Remington really hit a marketing jackpot when they brought this one out. For the department heads that don't think outside the box with AR's, it makes perfect sense so that the patrol guys at least can get rifle firepower. Personally, I think the barrel's too long. 16 inches is all one needs for a squad rifle, and at least it could be used on building searches and clearing much easier. I also think it needs the ability to mount optics and a light much better than what it has, but at least they came out with the shotgun pistol grip buttstocks.
I'll always take an AR when I can. But if I was somewhere's that wasn't progressive as such, I'd be happy to have this rifle as a second choice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top