Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2005 8:49:55 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:23:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I go to the gym monday through friday.  I do a chest workout twice a week, arms twice and shoulders and back once.  I also try and run or bike after my lift, but i dont always
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:30:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I have very limited time to workout. I have a 2.5 year old and a wife that works full time. All I usually manage is a 3 day a week 45 minute combo of running on treadmill approx 2 miles 3 sets of push ups and 2 sets of 100 crunch type things on the exercise ball. I miss going to the gym 4-5 days a week and so does my waistline.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:44:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Department wants us to workout 30 minutes a shift.  Occasionally I will walk/jog the morning Im on duty, but lately its been neglected. I generally use the day Im on shift as my day of rest from a workout for a few reasons.  On first day off, I will do 30-45 minutes of cardiovasular training, either running, biking or eliptical. Then maybe some ab or light leg work if I have time. Second day off I do more focused weight training.  Arms (bi, tri, forearm), back/chest, or  shoulders and traps.  I do one of those groups every 3 days. Occasionally I'll do 30 minutes of cardio afterwards, but lately that hasnt been the case.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:39:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I lift weights in 3 day cycles, 1st day chest/tri's, 2nd day back/shoulders/bi's, 3rd day legs. Try to do cardio as much as possible usually 2-4 mile runs. At work we play ultimate frisbee for cardio usually with one other crew sometimes 2 other crews, games usually last about 1hour to 1 hr 15 min.

Ultimate Frisbee is the best cardio on the face earth just be careful and know when not to go for the frisbee as lots of ankles and knees have been sprained or broken.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:59:40 AM EDT
[#5]
We have a fully eqipped gym at one of our stations, and just got a federal grant to put in another on the other side of the district.  We have 5 stations, 34 full time, and 70 volunteers.  All our career personnel have 1 1/2 hrs per shift to work out on department time. They can use either gym or go to the Y in our district.   Walking and weight training is what most of our workouts consist of.  Running ended up causing to many knee injuries.

Once a year, all paid and volunteer firefighters have to go through the new hire physical agility test.  When we do this with new personnel, we often have several fall out, and have to call EMS to come pick them up.  These are young 18-25 yr olds that are passing out.  

This provides a lot of pressure on us old guys to keep up with our workouts....
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:58:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I put my 25 pound daughter in her REI child pack and hit the stair stepper for 40 minutes. After the 40 minutes on the stepper, I do pullups and push ups with her in the back pack. (5 pullups for 3 sets and about 130 push ups in 2 sets). I do this 3 days a week. One day a week I work the heavy bag and speed bag for 30 minutes.  Two days a week I lift weights (one day upper body and other day lower body).  I am 31 and 6'1 210 and fitness is something that I make time for.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:10:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got a power rack, vertical leg press and lat machine in my  garage, and a treadmill in the house.  I try to run a minimum of 2.5 miles a day, at least 5 days a week, and I lift 4 days although for chest I have to lift light due to an on duty injury.  
At the tender age of 48, I'm noticing a lot of trouble with my knees, so my squat regime now consists of 3 set of 10 of 135, 155 then 175, then 3 sets of vertical leg presses.
Gettin' old is a bitch, but I fervently believe in doing some kind of working out.  If I didn't have a home gym it'd be a lot harder for me....
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:09:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:39:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I Swim like a fish at the Y and run.  3 times a week.
pushups  same
pullups  Same
situps Same
and the ocassional hit the free weights.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:44:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I run 3-5mi. five days a week unless we are on an assignment. One thing that I have been doing for about the past three months that I have noticed is really adding some definition (definition is getting harder to keep @ 35yrs old) is as follows:

Pushups till I can't do them anymore, really max out, do them until you can't get your pelvis off the floor if your life depended on it.  Depending on the day between 75-90.

Crunches, 10 straight, 10 alternating right elbow to left knee, left elbow to right knee, 10 bicycles, till I can't do anymore.

Back to push ups, then to crunches...

Repeat 8 times....with no rest in between.

You will be amazed how few pushups you can do on that 8th set.

What I like about this workout is that I can do it anywhere without any specialized equipment

I try to mix it up with some weight work, if they are available, or an impromptu obsticical(sp) course that we have out at the helibase.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:53:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I work a 4 and 2.

On days I work I do 3-4 miles on the treadmill and lift occasionially. Days off are days off.

I don't need much lifting wise but if I don't keep up on my cardio I start to get heavy.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:36:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Chocolate frosted and 1/2 pot of joe.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:07:41 PM EDT
[#13]
You guys are making me feel bad...

I go to the Y three times a week for a cardio block and some weights.  I also found a good way to keep going is to force myself to do 30 situps and 30 pushups every time I get on the internet.  As often as I log on, it makes me strong...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:50:59 PM EDT
[#14]
beer, pool, and women
as often as I can
Lebrew
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top