Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2005 8:05:58 AM EDT
My old vest is way past it's expiration date. Looks like I might be getting back into LEO work and I need a new vest. I've been out of the loop as to who makes the best ones without recall issues.

So what do you suggest?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:14:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Second Chance Ultima!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:22:37 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Second Chance Ultima!

Only if you wear two of them...
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:31:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I just replaced my Second Chance SC229 with a new Monarch Summit.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:13:13 AM EDT
[#4]
yeah,  get something with plates

if you think plates are too heavy spend more time in the gym
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:08:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
yeah,  get something with plates

if you think plates are too heavy spend more time in the gym

Second that
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:35:57 PM EDT
[#6]
US Armor

We just replaced some of our recalled ABA vests with them.  I got the Enforcer Classis, which is all woven Kevlar.  With two carriers and a Titanium trauma plate, it ran under $600.  Two other guys got the Enforcer XLT, which is woven Kevlar Comfort XLT and a little bit of Goldflex.  With two carriers and a Titanium trauma plate they were just over $700.  The Border Patrol recently signed a big contract with US Armor for the Enforcer XLT.

If you want to learn more about some of the problems with the Zylon and Laminate vests, here's a link to the Tactical Forums.  Also, check out the MD Labs forum.

Tactical Forums Body Armor Testing

Here is a link to the Colorado Body Armor Testing.  They actually take vests out of the field and retest them.  There aren't many vest manufacturers that have submitted because of their testing requirements.

Colorado Vest Testing
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:44:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm wearing a new Second Chance Monarch Summit.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:32:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

You might want to shcek out the link above to the Colorado Vest Testing.  Down toward the bottom of the page it failed their testing.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:00:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Spend the money to get a  IIIA with a stab rating

Although a hefty sum, it is a small investment should you ever need it
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:47:40 AM EDT
[#10]
After looking at the info it looks like I'm going to get a Safariland ZeroG Silver.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You might want to shcek out the link above to the Colorado Vest Testing.  Down toward the bottom of the page it failed their testing.

Am I right when looking at the test results seeing 10 and 14 inch barrels? I would expect exactly those results from that length of barrel.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#12]
DO NOT BUY ANYTHING NOT MADE OF KEVLAR!!!

www.tacticalforums.com/
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:47:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

www.tacticalforums.com/

What are you talking about?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:41:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
After looking at the info it looks like I'm going to get a Safariland ZeroG Silver.

I have the Zero G Gold, sweet vest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:42:53 AM EDT
[#15]
I replaced my Ultima with an Eagle Enforcer from US Armor.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:03:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Am I right when looking at the test results seeing 10 and 14 inch barrels? I would expect exactly those results from that length of barrel.

That was done to test their ballistic limits.  From what I read, almost all the vests had that done and failed.  What failed the SC vests was that they had exceeded the maximum backface deformation.  If you open up the PDF files and scroll to the last page it gives the summary.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:02:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Oly-M4gery

I posted to Tactical Forums. When you get in there, go to MD Labs and you can get all the info about zylon and how the major vest companies screwed LE and the military. Gives all the NIJ specs and why kevlar is the way to go.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:41:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Oly-M4gery

I posted to Tactical Forums. When you get in there, go to MD Labs and you can get all the info about zylon and how the major vest companies screwed LE and the military. Gives all the NIJ specs and why kevlar is the way to go.

Except you posted ths:

Quoted:

-------------------------------------------------------
There are like 4 different, common, bullet resistant materials in common use

Kevlar
Spectra
Twaron
Zylon

There are newer versions od Kevlar that have Kevlar still in the name. There are also different versions of Spectra that go by diferent names. Not to mention there are also "hybrid" vests that mix 2 or more material types.

Zylon is the only one of those that has been mass marketed, and FAILED in the real world. The others ALL have real world successes and don't degrade like Zylon.

Next, you linked to the front page of the tactical forums, not to any specific thread.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:09:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Sorry, but it would not link to the specific thread, but I did indicate where on the site to find the information. Mr. McClung had a problem with people pasting excerpts from his site without proper reference, thus not allowing the specific thread to be linked.

Some of those "hybrids" contain kevlar "fiber" not the actual thread, which does not afford the same properties of the all kevlar vests. The laminates of different types of "goldflex", "spectra" and some other trade names of aramid fibers do not offer the same protection as kevlar.  Vest companies are attempting to construct lighter, more comfortable vests made of the hybrids, but unfortunatly they don't protect like kevlar.

Any LEO needs any further in depth info on vest materials contact:

Kevin McClung
    MD Labs
    8333 Pecos Dr
    Prescott Valley, Az
    928-772-3021

He runs Tactical Forums and has a specific LE section. poke around, an awful lot of info to look over. He was also responsible for bringing the zylon issue to light. It's sad that it took an officer losing his life and several others suffering wounds for it to become an issue.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:37:05 AM EDT
[#20]
IIRC, there was a NIJ study posted not too long ago that proved that vests are good well beyond their "expiration" date. More less seems like an excuse to sell more vests. Then again, it is your ass on the line....
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:18:46 PM EDT
[#21]
bump
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:33:03 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
There are newer versions od Kevlar that have Kevlar still in the name. There are also different versions of Spectra that go by diferent names. Not to mention there are also "hybrid" vests that mix 2 or more material types.

Zylon is the only one of those that has been mass marketed, and FAILED in the real world. The others ALL have real world successes and don't degrade like Zylon.

Next, you linked to the front page of the tactical forums, not to any specific thread.

If you read in the thread from Tactical Forums that I linked, they talk about the laminates that are out there and how they degrade (or actually delaminate) also.  If you get a crease in the vest, which both my ABA Xtreme and XtremeX have, then the layers have delaminated and are now useless against stopping a bullet.  Also, they have found that contact shots can melt the laminate and allow the bullet to pass right through.  They also talk about them quite a bit in the MDLabs Forum.  Here's a link to the forum.

M. D. Labs Forum

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top