Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2005 7:18:06 PM EDT
monday i was going to a call and the transmission took a shit, no gears and all the fluid pouring on the ground.  i let radio know what happened and to take me out of service.  i just took my thumb of the mike when sgt. check the box / micro manage / gets on your nerves goes over the air for me to call the station.  he asked me how do i know the training took a shit? i told him i have no gears, not even park and the training fluid is all over the road.  

i can't wait till the new year when i go night turn
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:31:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I used to work for a Sgt. that was kind of a stickler about reports.....
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:40:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Micro management is a sure sign of an incompentent leader.  Leaders who properly delegate tasks and then follow up to ensure they were carried out are much happier and better respected.
If your subordinates cannot be trusted to perform then the leader must grow a friggin backbone and train them to the standard and then hold them accountable.
Police work is about making decisions at even the lowest level.  EVERY officer must be a leader and act independantly.
Sounds like you got problem child SGT, there.  He most likely wasn't real productive as an officer.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:07:49 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Micro management is a sure sign of an incompentent leader.  Leaders who properly delegate tasks and then follow up to ensure they were carried out are much happier and better respected.
If your subordinates cannot be trusted to perform then the leader must grow a friggin backbone and train them to the standard and then hold them accountable.
Police work is about making decisions at even the lowest level.  EVERY officer must be a leader and act independantly.
Sounds like you got problem child SGT, there.  He most likely wasn't real productive as an officer.

Wow, somebody who actually understands something about leadership.  You, sir, obviously are not a Sgt. at my department.  

This is correct, unless the officer is a problem child (we have one that seems to have mysterious vehicle malfunctions nearly every shift that necessitate him goofing off, I mean changing cars, for about an hour)   The superviser should be able to trust his people to make appropriate decisions.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:34:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I work for a chief that is the worst micro-manager ever.  When he moved the bottle returnable bin, he put up SIX signs saying where the new bin was and put out a memo and e-mail to officers.  F-ing horrible.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:11:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I am blessed. I work for a 22 year Sgt. that lets us do our thing. As a result our shift has the highest arrest levels. We are not sweating "activities" and other numbers games, we are hunting bad guys.
I got a capital  murderer in 2003. We hunt on my shift, the sarge is laid back as hell and we respect him.
So we take care of him. He can stand up in the staff meetings and say his guys are kicking ass.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:30:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:09:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:31:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a Sgt that's a farmer pretending to be a cop. A complete back-stabbing asshole.

He would also ask stupid questions on the radio. He probably wouldn't have to ask if he ever got out of the office. One night he sent me on a drunk and disorderly call as a single (not that big a deal considering I did it all the time in TX but it violates policy here). Anyway, of course it turns into a row. OC everywhere .

The nearest unit was at home on dinner break when I called for assistance. He arrived, the Sgt didn't. Never even asked me what happened.

Oh well. What ya gonna do?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:27:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Well with the lastest generation of new law enforcement officers some times the Sgt. may want to ask a few questions.  I had to go jump off a newbie after his car went dead. He was concerned about burning up the grass while parked in the median on a traffic post so he turned his car off.

He didn't know that the million watt strobe light bar would soon drain his battery to nothing in mere minutes.

Transmissions have locked up due to a lack of fluid your sgt may have been trying to see if he could get you back in service or back to the station with a quart of fluid instead of a tow truck? Or he was writing an email to fleet to explain the necessary repairs and the fact that now we lost another damn car!

Or your sgt is a complete dumbass or maybe he only caught the tailend of your transmission. Got to give us a little break maybe. Now when he/she starts to cancel your back up or tries to set you up for discipline time to get concerned and put in for a transfer or get them promoted so they can move out of your way.

Just a probationary Sgts view. A lot of us are truly concerned about our folks. That dumbassed supervisor you are are talking about is/was much of our motivation for getting rank so we would never do something like that. Of course some may want to get rank just in order to fuck with people.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:41:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm glad someone got it.  I was starting to think I was the only one that thought I was funny...

No offense intended shin, but you gotta work on the grammar.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#11]
yeah yeah so i forgot to read what i wrote.  not like i'm taking this to court. so there
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top