Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2005 6:09:46 PM EDT
I am freezing my ass off in illinois. Anytime I dress for the weather, I sweat when I have to enter a home, ETC. Then I freeze again. Any suggestions on what to wear under a vest?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:55:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Illinois has been cold.  I go with Under Armour mock turtle neck shirts and some cotton/poly blend ones.  I generally do not use long underwear but just bought some due to the cold.  I also really like my exterior vest carrier.  I do not wear my leather jacket unless it's real cold or going out for a bit of traffic.  I ditch the jacket in the squad if I'm going into buildings.  I wear a black watch cap style knit hat when things get nasty.  Carry some more stuff too but thats only for SHTF cases.      

FTO once told me to never be cold, wet, or hungry.  

What county you in?  Lake County arae here.  Always good to see fellow IL LEOs around here.    
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I just ordered and recieved four 100% silk mock t's from Cabelas......
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:02:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
 I go with Under Armour mock turtle neck shirts and some cotton/poly b  

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:05:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Under Armour, only way to go...
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:24:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Agreed, Underarmor Cold Gear is awesome. I work up here in ND (although the weather has been fairly mild here this year) and it usually gets "hella cold". Top layer starts with an Underarmor short sleeve T, my body armor, a long sleeve turtle neck cotton shirt and then either my long sleeve uniform shirt or a commando sweater. Topped all off with a Blauer Gore-Tex Jacket (best duty jacket I've ever had). I'm from Texas so I always have on long undewear (polartech stuff when the temp gets below 0) under the trouser and Hi-Tec waterproof thinsulate boots over regular socks.

Keeps me happy.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:15:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Well to be honest I really hate wearing jackets, and its cold here in the winter.  I wear a white t-shirt and an under armour mock cold gear turtle neck, another turtle neck and my vest and then long sleeve uniform shirt.  I sometimes will wear a commander sweater, or I also have a fleece pull-over jacket that bike patrol guys wear that I will wear most often.  I will never wear a jacket unless absolutely necessary.  Usually that will be warm enough for me, b/c I just refuse to wear a jacket, I dont like them and I feel they get in the way.  Sometimes it does get cold doing field sobriety when its -20.  I do have a knit hat though that I wear on duty.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Agreed, Underarmor Cold Gear is awesome.

Under Armor rocks  
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:02:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I like the Under Armour Mock Turtlenecks.  They are a bit expensive, but do help keep you warm.  I don't like wearing a jacket on calls, to hard to move around in not to mention if you have to put hands on someone.  I save the jacket for when I will be handling traffic or something and just standing outside for an extended period of time.  

Wigwam socks are very nice too inside my Goretex boots.  I need to get some new gloves as my current pair are shot.  I'm looking at Gargonz.  We will see how they work out.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:36:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I wear poly pro.  Only wear coat or jacket when I know I am going to be out in the cold for long periods.  There have been a couple times I was wrong and was cold for awhile, but I would rather be cold than sweaty.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:49:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I am in the second highest crime county in Illinois, Saint Clair County (east saint louis and the like)
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:50:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I wear a crown victoria......just kidding, I use the stuff from Eastern Mountain Sports.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:17:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:21:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Even though I live in CA, the winter temp aren't as bad the mid and east coast guys.  But I do wear a mock turtleneck anything else I tend to overheat.  I tried the under armor stuff and yes it worked good but I hot quick.   Have anybody tried the Nike Dri-Fit mock long sleeves?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:25:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Polarmax from Cabela's...that is some warm stuff.

Fuzzy hat too.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:36:43 AM EDT
[#15]
I am in the second highest crime county in Illinois, Saint Clair County (east saint louis and the like)
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:57:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Jesus, you post a question asking my personal opinion and dont even give me an IM or email to try and answer it.  Seeing as I am COLD, I will tell you what I wear to keep warm.

When In Boston seeing family, I wear wool socks, the hippies love em

When on the Ranch in Nebraska, I wear everything I can to keep warm while in the goose pits hunting.

When in Dallas, I wear my girlfriend...nekid, she keeps me warm all night long.

Anymore questions, I can offer personal suggestions

Columbia's waterfowl parka called the "widgeon" is SWEET, also Cabelas MT050 bibs is awsome foor those 10 degree opening deer days in nebraska...got to test those out a month ago too.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:21:54 AM EDT
[#17]
i stay in the car and have  the people come to me.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:07:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
i stay in the car and have  the people come to me.

I've taken to wearing heavier, winter-weight, pure polyester pants and long-sleeve shirts. The heavier weight helps a lot. Under the pants, a pair of the Wally-World Expedition-weight fleece longjohns and wool socks. Under the shirt, armor, a t-shirt and a cotton-blend turtleneck. I'd love to try out the Under Armor stuff but geez, it's $$$! I also carry a stocking cap and a jacket in case I have to get out of the car for a while. Thin, mechanic-type gloves for the hands in case I need to be dexterous.

With the above combo, I get cold if I have to stand outside without moving for a while, but moving outside is good. Also, I haven't had any trouble with sweating inside, unless the people I'm talking to have their thermostat WAY up.

If you haven't already, check out the fleece under-things. Good stuff! Good luck and stay warm!

Bub
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:56:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I just ordered and recieved four 100% silk mock t's from Cabelas......

+1. These are probably the best if you've got bouts of activity - of course, I haven't tried UA, but my silk turtlenecks and long johns rock. Add wool sock to 'em and mmmmmmmmmm.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:05:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:47:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Under Armor, Cotton Turtle Neck, vest, uniform shirt, coat, in that order.  For the lower region, long johns, warm socks, and good boots :)
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:41:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Layers. Period.
I grew up in Illinois, then got stationed there as a USAF cop. Damn the luck.
Central Illinois with a wind chill of minus 5 will get your attention.
You need to dress for being outdoors for extended periods but then again you may be indoors doing interviews etc.
I work in Texas now and still do layers in winter.
No one knows what you are wearing under your jacket. Wear things you can peel off, sweaters and such.
Many years of experience have taught me that layers are the way to go.
Under Armor is good, long johns are good. That is the first layer. Build from there as needed.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:32:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Fire.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:43:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Last Wed it was -17 w/o wind chill.  I dressed really warm with the UA and all.  Only got out of the car only a couple of times.  Shit the air just seemed to suck the heat out of my body.  I agree with the layers too.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:32:13 AM EDT
[#25]
UnderArmor ColdGear mock turtleneck. sweater with goretex windstopper or leather jacket with thinsulate lining. wool watch cap or synthetic "Fargo" hat w/ the fake fur lining. don't wear cotton under your underarmor- it holds all the sweat against your body and you will never get warm again. As they taught me in the Corps- COTTON KILLS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top