Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/14/2005 2:07:14 PM EDT
I'm wondering if anyone has been to this training outfit?  I don't want to end up going to something and then walking off the range due to safety issues or leaving feeling like I didn't get   quality training for my dollars.

I've been to Frontisight years ago and they did a good job.  Safe and quality instruction.  I had to put up with the sales pitch but otherwise it was a good experience for me.  This was before I even thought of becoming sworn and was concealed carry days.

Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 3:21:58 PM EDT
[#1]
My personal opinion?

Stay far, far away from Gabe Suarez.  Walking shit-magnet.

Sheep
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 3:24:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never trained with him, but some of the things I have heard or he has said publicly are bothersome. I would go elsewhere. Gunsite, Southern Exposure, Larry Mudgett, etc. all are great programs.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 4:13:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Gabe Suarez was convicted of a misdemeanor workman's comp fraud and fired from the PD he worked for.  He was able to plea the felony down to a misdemeanor.  That should tell ANY peace officer all they need to know about Gabe Suarez.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 4:22:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My personal opinion?

Sheep

Care to elaborate???
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 4:39:57 PM EDT
[#5]
After last months SWAT Magazine article I would look elsewhere. I have not  heard one good thing about his training.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 4:45:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
After last months SWAT Magazine article I would look elsewhere. I have not  heard one good thing about his training.

Well that explains the pricing looking nice.  Anyone care to share what the SWAT article stated?

Looks like I'll be staying away from this outfit.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 7:23:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well that explains the pricing looking nice.  Anyone care to share what the SWAT article stated?

Looks like I'll be staying away from this outfit.  

In a nutshell, his class is unsafe, and he is an idiot.

Link Posted: 11/14/2005 8:26:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Seemed like a nice guy the one time I met him.  He didn't seem to like it when I asked about him being convicted of fraud.  Go figure!
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 8:27:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

a BIG +1
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 10:46:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't think I'd care to pay for a firearms course where the instructor can't come testify in court on my behalf 'cause his credibility would be SHREDDED by the plaintiff's attorney.  The man is a convicted criminal who escaped a felony conviction by the skin of his teeth.  He lied and defrauded his department of thousands of dollars.  That's enough for me.
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 2:07:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My personal opinion?

Sheep

Care to elaborate???

I think everyone else has pretty much nailed it.

Sheep
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 3:49:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I dont know about his training but I have found his books interesting.  Some are pretty basic but still a good reminder.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 2:50:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I have taken his Close-Range Gunfighting class about 2 years ago. At the time, I was the only civilian in it. Everyone else was ICE and BORSTAR. Everyone in the class had prior professional firearms training and the training we received was excellent and very professional.  I'm not sure what's happened to him but it looks like he doesn't screen his students like he used to.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 2:56:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I've heard some good things by people who I respect.  

But then I've never gotten any training by him.  After hearing about this I'm leary but I'd take a course to see how it is.  I've got a couple of his books and they are pretty good.  Basic but good.

I'd take a course if he was in the area.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:11:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I have taken his Close-Range Gunfighting class about 2 years ago. At the time, I was the only civilian in it. Everyone else was ICE and BORSTAR. Everyone in the class had prior professional firearms training and the training we received was excellent and very professional.  I'm not sure what's happened to him but it looks like he doesn't screen his students like he used to.  

I took the close-range gun fighting class about a month ago in Tucson.  It was a great class and we all came away impressed.  The class was made up of about 10-12 cops and 7-8 civilians.  Mr. Suarez was easy going but still ran a safe range.  I guess the guy who wrote the article in SWAT wanted to be yelled at the whole time he was on the range.  He must not have ever gotten yelled at by a drill sergeant.  

As for Gabe's conviction and termination?  I can't say.  Yes, I suppose it does diminish his credibility.  The fact that he’s still able to run a successful training business after getting canned is a real feather in his cap.  Nothing says you can't pick up skills or pointers from somebody who isn't a saint.  And there are plenty of people in the instructions world who aren't cops or military and they seem to do just fine.  I learn what I can where I can.

I think if you keep an open mind and disregard all the crap on the Internet you'll have a good experience with Suarez International.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:31:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, you can learn from people who aren't saints.  However, as an LEO I won't pay to learn from a former cop who defrauded his department, got fired and convicted of a crime for it.  Call me silly, but that's an issue for me.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:48:55 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Yeah, you can learn from people who aren't saints.  However, as an LEO I won't pay to learn from a former cop who defrauded his department, got fired and convicted of a crime for it.  Call me silly, but that's an issue for me.

I understand your trepidation with the guy.  But I think you'll be hard-pressed to find somebody who has trained with him who has bad things to say about his methods or topics.  Of course there are excpetions and "SWAT" magazine has proven that.

I'm sure we'd all like to hear from the people who took the class with the guy who wrote the bad article in "SWAT."  Are any of you guys on here?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:59:25 PM EDT
[#19]
New years resolution: No pissing matches on the interweb.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top