Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2005 10:55:39 PM EDT
Anybody still carry one for duty? I carry one once in awhile.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:35:39 AM EDT
[#1]
most of our "old school" guys do for court but otherwise its your duty wepon
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:20:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I think I have seen 1 retired reservist carry, but nobody on the street.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:52:49 AM EDT
[#3]
If I could, I'd carry a Smith 625, .45acp with four extra moon clips in a level 2 drop/swivel holster.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:16:55 AM EDT
[#4]
We've got one part-timer that carries one on-duty. Other than him, I carry one for off-duty/backup, that's it.

If we could carry actual .357 ammo in a .357 revolver, I'd seriously consider trading in my G23 for my GP100 for duty use. However, since we can only carry .38 ammo per policy, I'll stay with my G23.

Bub
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#5]
The problem with revolver carry now is finding a decent holster. I carried a S&W610 10mm last year after I had Bladetech build me one of their so called level 2 holsters. It was an ok set up but I changed back to my P220  because I didn't like the Bladetech. Too many sharp edges and it wasn't a level 2 like they said, more like a Safariland TopGun. I just found a 070 on ebay for a K frame so now I think I'll look for 357 19 or 66 since my dept allows magnum ammo to be used.  BTW I'm not an "old timer" been doing this since 1994.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 6:35:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:11:13 AM EDT
[#7]
We have a Det that carries a Taurus Titanium framed snubby. Other than that no. Although some of the guys would be better off with a wheelgun.

I agree with rifle. I used a SW625 duing my firearms instructor course. Fastest reloads ever. I was creaming the autos for reloads and shot times. Plus when it comes time to "police the brass" it's cake.

(homersimpson)....mmm....cake.....(homersimpson).
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 3:25:52 AM EDT
[#8]
April of this year was 20 years for me.  I qualified with the old wheel gun (4" Python), and carried it for my three month day shift rotation, (the bosses like to see my face for three months out of a year, don't get me started on bosses) kinda to remember the days when the rule was revolver, not the exception.  I had forgotten how heavy that old gat was.  I never felt that I wasn't armed well enough, I know I can hit with the old hoss, I was happy to go back to Sig 357's.

Yes, I qualified with and carried full house 357 magnums.  I spent a little time practiciing speed reloads, and partial reloads with a speed strip.  Had a hell of a time finding a revolver duty holster, and paid for it dearly.  

I missed the old gun, but it reminded me why I changed over in the first place.

....god....does this make me a Colt kool Aid Drinker?  AAAAAHHHH!

Edited to remove very funny typo.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 6:46:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Most correctional agencies still use revolvers for officers that are required to be armed.CO's unlike PO's only need to be armed for cetain duties (i.e. perimeter security,gun towers,outside transport,escape hunts,etc).When I was a CO with the Massachusetts DOC we had S&W Model 64
.38's as the standard issued handgun.If you were assigned to an armed post you went to the prison armory and drew a weapon.The specialty units like the K-9 Unit, Special Response Team, Investigators,etc. had individual issue Glocks and Sigs.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 8:18:17 AM EDT
[#10]
The last revolver I carried was a S&W Mod. 640.  I used it for backup/off duty until Oct. 2002.  I got a Glock 26 and started carrying that for backup/off duty.  

I still have a S&W Mod. 37, my brother got me for graduating the academy.  I used the Mod. 37 as my backup/off duty weapon for awhile (it‘s retired now).  I also still have my duty S&W Mod. 64 I carried for years (it‘s my wife’s house gun).  

I always qualified expert with all my revolvers.    
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 11:10:48 AM EDT
[#11]
It is good to see some still like the wheel gun. When i carry I never feel like I am outgunned. My S&W 65 shoots great and is a pleasure to shoot.
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 12:44:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I carry a S&W 342 off duty when I'm running out quickly , but not on duty
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 9:23:12 PM EDT
[#13]
St.Louis city sheriffs carry S&W .38.s. Prisoner Transports carry Berretta 92..If you get transferred into courtrooms, you have to get back your Model 10. 'Those 9s are too much gun for the courthouse' And these 92s are the city police retreads. we have had them for only a year
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 2:10:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Some old timers still carry them on my Dept.  There is an old timer w/ 36 years on that carries a S&W 10 and works patrol at my division..    
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 6:13:33 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Most correctional agencies still use revolvers for officers that are required to be armed.CO's unlike PO's only need to be armed for cetain duties (i.e. perimeter security,gun towers,outside transport,escape hunts,etc).When I was a CO with the Massachusetts DOC we had S&W Model 64
.38's as the standard issued handgun.If you were assigned to an armed post you went to the prison armory and drew a weapon.The specialty units like the K-9 Unit, Special Response Team, Investigators,etc. had individual issue Glocks and Sigs.

I was a CO with Florida DOC back in the day. We had S&W Mod. 15's and also S&W 5906's for those of us who were qualified with them.  I'm glad that's all behind me now. It was a good learning experience, but not a job I'll go back to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top