Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2005 5:02:46 PM EDT
I'm interested in them and was looking for some insight...
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:00:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you talking about the Instructor developement courses?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:04:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I did pistol/shotgun in 1999, and I'm scheduled for patrol rifle in November.  Excellent training.  Well worth the $495 tuition.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:32:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Are you talking about the Instructor developement courses?

Yes.   I should have been more clear..
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:36:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Took pistol/shotgun in '97, patrol rifle in '02, both were good courses.  The instructors are good, the material covered is good.  Be prepared to spend time on the range, esp. in the patrol rifle inst. course.  (knee and elbow pads are your friend)  Cannot beat these classes for the price.  I managed to get my agency to foot the bill for the second, but paid for the first myself and it was worth every penny spent.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:36:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Took the NRA/LEO Patrol Rifle Instructor Course a couple of years ago. One of my officers also took the Tactical Handgun Course last year. I was scheduled to take the brand new Tactical Shooting Instructor Course next week, but it was cancelled due to lack of students.....which pissed me off royally, since I've been waiting for this course to come up. They took the Tactical Handgun course and combined it with a long gun (rifle or shotgun) to make the new course. I like them.

I also just got back from the NRA sponsored Sig Armorers Course held at the NRA Headquarters in VA. Great course. Nothing like totally disassembling 27 Sig P-220's, then dumping all the parts into one container then having us rebuild a functional pistol.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 7:42:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd like to take them, just have this problem of not being an LEO.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:01:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I also just got back from the NRA sponsored Sig Armorers Course held at the NRA Headquarters in VA. Great course. Nothing like totally disassembling 27 Sig P-220's, then dumping all the parts into one container then having us rebuild a functional pistol.

LOL Steve....They still doing that the last day? It was kind of funny watching everybody scrambling for parts in the box.....

highdraglowspeed:
I took the NRA Police Firearms Instructor class in 1984, and it was a really good class. Just took the Patrol Rifle Instructor class in April of this year, and it was even better.
The classes are not shooting schools; they expect you to be able to shoot when you get there. The classes are geared toward teaching your students how to shoot & win in a gunfight. They do a lot of drills where the students take turns coaching each other to learn how to teach someone else. You will become a better shooter in the class, IMO, because you get input from the other students & the instructors, plus you learn from teaching. I think you will enjoy the classes, whatever you take....
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:28:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I took the Patrol Rifle Instructor course a few years ago and it was a damn fine course.

Real big issue was "Bring the Street to the Range and the Range to the Street".  I came back and totally  revamped our departments Patrol Rifle Program.

Even in my small department I've instructed lots of LEO's and many walked away with bright light blubs over their head.

WELL worth the money!!

David
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:35:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The classes are not shooting schools; they expect you to be able to shoot when you get there. The classes are geared toward teaching your students how to shoot & win in a gunfight.

+1...  NRA LE handgun/shotgun in 2001.  Only about 1000 rounds of pistol and 50 or so shotgun during the week.  I enjoyed the course.  Just don't go into thinking it is a shooting class.  It is definately geared towards instructor development.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:02:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks,  that's the feed back I was looking for..
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:44:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I did the patrol rifle instructor course in 02.  Best class I attended since becoming a police officer.  Our head instructor was Clive Sheppard.  Excellent instructor.  However I don't believe he's giving the class anymore.  For the price, the class can't be beat!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top