Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2005 9:59:28 AM EDT
The thread from one of our LEO members Johninaustin Guns of Katrina. My experience.
got me to thinking this could be a good thread for him and LEO's/FF/EMS members like him to post for our forum members to read and comment on.

There has to be a lot of info and observations made and things we can all learn from these SHTF scenario's.

An IM I sent Striker and he thought it weas a good idea to pin this if it gets a good reception.

So, without further ado, Post it if you got it !
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:56:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I went to the orginal staging area in Florida on Spet 8th. We had some training, received our grear and qualified with our weapons. They issued us G19's. We have Bushy AR's available to us if the need arises.

I arrived in NO on Sept 10th. Our staging area was in Kenner. Our teams spread out from there. I was in the first team of 10 to arrive. Our numbers are now up to around 85 in the area. We would commute back and forth from some apartments in Kenner to our posts in NO.

Most of the guys here are former contractors who worked in Iraq and Afganistan. I was the only LEO in the original group. I have to say the guys I met were some great people. Made me feel real comfortable.

All posts were manned 24/7. Working shifts ranging from an 8 on, 8 off to 12 on, 12 off. Mostly protecting infastructure and work crews. I was stationed near the Michoud NASA facility.

The whole scene in the city reminded me of some type of movie set. Kind of like an end of the world/zombie scene. It is really weird traveling through a city at night in total darkness. Or seeing streets totally abandoned.

I've seen lots of looting damage. Vehicles were used to ram buildings and doors so the looters could gain access to the merchandise. I saw lots of cars vandilized. Trunks popped, windows smashed, tires slashed etc. I went by one car dealership and every car on the lot had their tires slashed.

Dealing with the NG units, Army, LA State Troopers was really good. I hate to say it but several of the NOPD I have met, have been not been pleasurable.

One of our guys was shot in the head one night with a pellet gun and I had shots fired near my post one morning. Other than that it has been fairly quite. Most of the residents I have encountered have been really appreciative of us being here.

I'm now in the Lake Charles area setting up posts the same as we did when we landed in NO.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:34:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Great news bama, keep up the good work.  

If you see or observe anything you think will help us be better prepared as LEO's for the next "big show", let us know.

Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top