Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2005 5:02:31 PM EDT
The boss (Sheriff) want's to lay in a supply of MRE's. He is looking to purchase about 20-40 cases. Is there any place to get first run (not surplused) MRE's?

Thanks,
Breacher
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:12:45 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
The boss (Sheriff) want's to lay in a supply of MRE's. He is looking to purchase about 20-40 cases. Is there any place to get first run (not surplused) MRE's?

Thanks,
Breacher

Ditto for my chief too.......
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 2:33:14 AM EDT
[#2]
If you are in the 1033 Program, then you should be able to buy them through the 1122 program.

The NSN is 8970-00-149-1094, the price is $83.59 a case, and the DLA center is Philadelphia. You send a PO and a cover letter to your state coordinator, they order them and have them shipped to you, and you pay the state coordinator. 1122 is considered cooperative purchasing, too, so you should be able to buy the items without getting bids and all of that hassle. 1122 allows you to access just about anything on the GSA schedules or from DLA logistics centers.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:41:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:03:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
$83.59 a case?   OUCH, Uncle Sam is getting Hosed on this contract.  If my math is correct, that's $6.96 a meal.

I am getting Mil surplus MRE's (stamped not for re-sale) at $70.00 a case, which seems the norm.

I am wondering if the $ 83.59 a case also represents shipping ?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:26:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
$83.59 a case?   OUCH, Uncle Sam is getting Hosed on this contract.  If my math is correct, that's $6.96 a meal.

Ouch is right! I know that he isn't gonna lay out that kind of scratch for those MRE's

Breacher
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:10:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I am getting Mil surplus MRE's (stamped not for re-sale) at $70.00 a case, which seems the norm.

Mind if I ask from where? All I'm finding are the "civilian" version MRE's, not true milsurp.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:32:39 PM EDT
[#7]
ebay
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:10:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Gun Shows  $36.00 a case.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:31:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ouch is right! I know that he isn't gonna lay out that kind of scratch for those MRE's

Breacher

When compared to the average Public Service/Public Safety per diem rate of about $30 a day, and the fact that MREs from the government have about a 10 year shelf life if stored in a good, controlled climate facility, they are a cost effective emergency ration option. Figure three per employee, per day for three days (about the amount of time your agency should be able to operate independently without outside support in a crisis situation) and for most agencies, you are talking about investing a few grand.

Rotate the meals out of stockpile by issuing them at the lunch meal for in-service training, where, by regs you are probably going to have to provide per diem if you are conducting it off site or out of your primary jurisdiction (like tactical training for SWAT or Patrol folks at a MOUT site or a multi-agency range), and pay for replacement meals out of training funds, and the MREs are cheaper than paying for per diem.

Gun show or E-bay MREs have civil and criminal liability issues, and most agencies can only do procurement through recognized channels. Plus, the 1122 Program is a cooperative purchasing agreement, which is actually an easier way to buy things. $83 a case isn't bad, really. You can always buy Humanitarian Daily Rations (about $53 a case) from the same source...
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:21:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mind if I ask from where? All I'm finding are the "civilian" version MRE's, not true milsurp.

Supply Sergeant - Bakersfield

ETA:  As of yesterday, they are now $79.00 a case (Ouch) and no more Mil-Surpl, all civilian MRE's.   It is all they can get right now.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:35:13 PM EDT
[#11]
60 bucks on e-bay
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:12:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Try Longlifefoods.com  They have they overrun contract for Warnoco  a military MRE supplier
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:28:28 AM EDT
[#13]
MRE's are kind of a waste!  They're too bulky and have too much packaging for the civilian realm.  (most of us aren't going to have the luxury of resupply in the event of an emergency)

The Surplus store in my area has the individual MAIN ENTREs for sale without all the nonsense extras.  I like to buy those because they take up much less space.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top