Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2005 4:52:42 PM EDT
Where does this actually occur?  I often see these roadsigns, but only once did I actually observe this in practice.  That was 12 years ago on I-70 between Columbia & Kansas City, MO, when I noticed a small plane (probably a Cessna, but I don't know my planes) with POLICE lettering on its underside flying directly over the interstate following traffic.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:55:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Missouri HP has a Cessna182 wired for speed enforcement.
Ive seen it patrolling over HWY 71 and 65 before. They may have
other aircraft, but I can only confirm a Cessna 182.  They usually
hang around 1500 feet in "Slow Flight" paralleling  the HWYs.

myit
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:00:44 PM EDT
[#2]
OHP does it daily so beware!!!

Oklahoma Highway patrol, The pilot uses like 6 stopwatches at once to clock individual cars
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:02:18 PM EDT
[#3]
That sign is usually posted in areas so remote it essentially has the same meaning as the german sign with a 0 and a line through it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:39:26 PM EDT
[#4]
What markers on the ground do the pilots use for reference to time / track the vehicles and their speeds?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:44:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Oregon does this as well, but mostly along I-5, though most of the state highways have the markers. There are measured miles marked out along the fog line, just a white bar 90 degrees to the fog line, about 30" long. I use the markers on trips, to time me at 60 mph, to see if my speedo is correct.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:04:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I know a private pilot that likes to fly the highways just to see people slow down
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:56:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I know a private pilot that likes to fly the highways just to see people slow down

thats funny

I enjoy dive bombing the farmers on their tractors or going to galvaston and messing with the jet skies.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:40:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Seems like a very expensive way to catch speeders... wouldnt that money be better used for another police support helo, more officers, or a medevac helo?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#10]
On decent days FHP is usually always doing it somewhere on I-10 near the Tallahassee area. The locals know what the plane is doing and they don't put signs up around here that I have ever seen. My cousin's husband got a ticket last week from the plane, luckily my cousin works for a great lawyer and he gets them thrown out very easily because of the human error possibility by the guy in the plane running the stopwatches.

ETA: They will usually have anywhere from 5-10 units sitting under an interstate overpass and it is not uncommon to drive by and see 5 or more people pulled over in one location. They are making more than enough money to cover the plane's operating costs.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:59:17 PM EDT
[#11]
OSP does it here.  Don't see it a whole lot though.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:02:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Hahaa!!! This is what I am going to be doing with AZ DPS... Watch out!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:24:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
What markers on the ground do the pilots use for reference to time / track the vehicles and their speeds?

Big white crosses or X's ,  Hash marks on shoulder,  known distance land marks...   Mile markers.

Varies. All of the above and then for the tinfoil hat crowd.  GPS sensor from your latemodel car's black box. LOL  or the microchip implanted during your last dental proceedure.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:27:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Seems like a very expensive way to catch speeders... wouldnt that money be better used for another police support helo, more officers, or a medevac helo?

Helicopters and fixed wing aircraft are completly different ballgames when it comes to cost.  A new Cessna 182 will run you around $250K, a new Jet Ranger is well into seven digits.  A 182 burns aroudn 10 gallons per hour, and a Jet Ranger around 26 GPH.  And let's not even talk maintenance costs.

There's really few things that police helicopters can do that police fixed wing aircraft can't, and at a lower price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top