Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2005 5:51:16 AM EDT
i'm looking for some guidance, i'm looking to become a police officer.
i'm 27 and in good physical condition , other than the fact that i NEVER  jog, or run,
ive spent most of my working years in constuction, and heavy labor jobs.

i'm tired of the revolving door of low paying jobs for my skills, and i belive being a police officer is a most honorable profession.

is 27yrs old too old to become a police officer?

what level of physical fitness , in the running aspect specificly , is required to meet the standard requirement?

i injured my back in 2000, 2 herniated discs. after rest and rehabilitation, i resumed working labor intensive jobs, with no problem. would this keep me from becoming an active patrol officer?

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:17:27 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
i'm looking for some guidance, i'm looking to become a police officer.
i'm 27 and in good physical condition , other than the fact that i NEVER  jog, or run,

i'm tired of the revolving door of low paying jobs for my skills, and i belive being a police officer is a most honorable profession.

what level of physical fitness , in the running aspect specificly , is required to meet the standard requirement?

i injured my back in 2000, 2 herniated discs. after rest and rehabilitation, i resumed working labor intensive jobs, with no problem. would this keep me from becoming an active patrol officer?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

27 is a good age.  I don't know you but I would be inclined to hire people of your age and older before I hire people who are in their early 20s.  Generally the older you are, the more mature you are.  If  your back doesn't cause you any trouble then you are probably fine with LE.  You'll spend a lot of time sitting down as opposed to lifting things.  I imagine that if you can run a mile and a half you'll be just fine for most academys.  

Just a word of caution.....if you are married becoming a police officer will be tough on your marriage.  If you get married after you are already a cop your chances of your marriage lasting will be much better.  It's tough on wives who are not ready for it.

Stay away from the booze and the badge bunnies!!!

Good luck.  If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.  We are friendly around here unless you try to bash us!!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:26:17 AM EDT
[#2]
27 is a great age to get into law enforcement.  You already have life experiences to draw from that many  younger guys don't.  You may want to start running, depending on what academy you attend you will have varying types of physical fitness requirements.  This place can definately help you answer many questions.  I wish this place was around when I was starting out!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:31:13 AM EDT
[#3]
My advise go with a big department.  They have more supervisory positions so you may be able to move up at some point.  

Check the department's retirement.  A twenty year is super, a twentyfive is not bad, a thirty is insane...............I have a 30 year............14 more to go!!!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:37:49 AM EDT
[#4]
First off, talk to your doctor.  See if he will clear you for running.  If he does, then start.  Don't look at minimums.  You don't want to be the slowest when the shit hits the fan.

Your agency may ask about the back injury.  You may need a letter from your doctor.

I started at 34 (turned 35 my second month in the Academy)
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:15:39 AM EDT
[#5]

27 is a great age.  No ceiling at my department.  I had a 57 yo in my academy and he is still going strong 12 years later.

Our runs are timed and we use the cadets initial times to guage progress as the academy progresses.  To graduate, a cadet must complete the obstacle course and a timed 5 mile endurance run. Here is our academy breakdown:

During the academy you will be required to fully participate in a comprehensive physical conditioning program. The physical conditioning program involves exercise focusing on cardiorespiratory endurance (aerobics), muscular strength and endurance. The intensity of the various exercises is individualized to the extent possible and is gradually increased throughout the course of the conditioning program. Each exercise session lasts at least 60 minutes and consists of an 8-10 minute warm-up period, a 30-45 minute conditioning period focusing on a primary training objective, and a 3-5 minute cool-down period. A description of the conditioning objectives and activities are listed below.

Conditioning Objective Formats and Type of Activities

Flexibility Walk/Jog Floor Calisthenics Begins with walk/jog to warm muscles and is followed by slow stretching exercises for major muscle groups and joints.

Muscular Strength/Cardiovascular Endurance Circuit Training with Weights A combination of conventional Universal Gym training exercises and jogging in place for a specified period.

Muscular Strength/Cardiovascular Endurance Circuit Training with Calisthenics A combination of conventional calisthenics and jogging and sprinting for a specified period requiring a specific number of repetitions.

Cardiovascular Endurance Continuous Running Conventional jog/run for distance and pace (15-60 minute duration).

Not if your Doc says you are good to go.

Good luck,

NorCal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top