Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2005 8:04:52 PM EDT
We have been issued orders, at the request of NOPD because of all the officers that left and took the police cars with them, to stop any marked NOPD car and get their ID and check for some paperwork they have been issued and call a # to confirm their status ie make sure they are allowed to have the car on leave.

One of our deputies does just that.  The captian then cusses and screams at him for a short bit.  Then he takes off from the deputy.  We get in a short chase then he goes to a house.  

I know I'm impressed!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#1]
More detail please?

Was it a marked unit? What happened to him? Why did he run? Was he a deserter?

You can't tell a story like that and just end it with "he ran in a house"
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:27:28 PM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:37:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes he was in a marked car.  The stripes made it out there right after me then took over and determined he was on leave in town and had permission to be in the car.  Original deputy did a CYA report, we left, and my brass contacted his brass.  

That's it...nothing exciting.  

I get there first unit as backup but chase already over.  I personally would have cuffed him and stuffed him for a bit.  But I tend to get pissed when anyone runs.  I can understand the guy has been through hell but his actions were stupid and he later admitted so.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:32:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:04:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The NOPD is short on just about all their equipment and this guy is on "vacation" in texas with a marked car? hr

He's a captian
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:27:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The NOPD is short on just about all their equipment and this guy is on "vacation" in texas with a marked car?

He's a captain

Fixed it for ya...
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:35:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Just curious, is that type of behavior (yelling and cussing and running when stopped) typical of the New Orleans PD?  (only been to New Orleans once, never met any officers down there -- for that matter, I didn't even see any officers)

Not trying to bash, just wondering given some of the other stuff that officers in that department have been doing in the aftermath of the hurricane.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:37:51 AM EDT
[#8]
this is funny the police chasing the police, maybee we can get the cub scouts in on this two..............
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:58:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Reminds me of that video of the off-duty sheriff or some other uppity-up of some small town getting OC'd (legitimately) by some patrol guy after the situation got out of hand.  

Same rule as with anyone else...respect...show some, get some.

NorCal
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:02:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:45:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Just a short  input re the NOPD...we are just so lucky that this situation has happened AFTER they cleaned up the department. 20 years ago we had NOPD shooting each other in the back on calls, on purpose.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:50:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
this is funny the police chasing the police, maybee we can get the cub scouts in on this two..............

.......imagine if it had been a K-9....
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:51:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The NOPD is short on just about all their equipment and this guy is on "vacation" in texas with a marked car?

He's a captian

Ahh. Reminds me of something I saw a few years ago up here. I was heading out to the beach and got behind a white Caprice with AZ plates on it. Nothing unusual about that..lots of tourists come to my neck of the woods.
This car was obviously an ex crusier as it had the heavy duty suspension like mine. Still had the radio antenna on it though.
So the car eventually turns off towards some cottages and ..on the drivers door is
www.raceplace.com.au/photos/159.jpg
There was no markings on the trunk or stripes..just the shield on the door.
Must be nice to be able to take the company car on a across north america road trip...

Could have been an extradition....
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:35:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Last weekend my dept attempted in impound a NOPD marked Ford Explorer at a local hotel.  It was observed parked at the location for a couple of days.  RO thought it might be a stolen.  It came back clear, just as we expected.  NOPD was contacted before the impound and they informed
Don't not attempt to stop any marked NOPD vehicle (abiding lawful traffic of course).  NOPD gave several officers that stayed through the Katrina, the opportunity to take a vacation.  The officers were permitted to travel in NOPD vehicles to their destinations.

Although, a few days after Katrina, we did have reports in DFW of a marked NOPD vehicle attemping to make traffic stops.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:46:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Last weekend my dept attempted in impound a NOPD marked Ford Explorer at a local hotel.  It was observed parked at the location for a couple of days.  RO thought it might be a stolen.  It came back clear, just as we expected.  NOPD was contacted before the impound and they informed
Don't not attempt to stop any marked NOPD vehicle (abiding lawful traffic of course).  NOPD gave several officers that stayed through the Katrina, the opportunity to take a vacation.  The officers were permitted to travel in NOPD vehicles to their destinations.

Although, a few days after Katrina, we did have reports in DFW of a marked NOPD vehicle attemping to make traffic stops.  

I'm  N O T  trying to degrade thos NOPD officers that did their duty...but...easy way to try to get "over" on some unsuspecting  female.....I wouldn't trust any NOPD car I came across in the next few weeks...I'm talking felony stop until all information can be verified..regardless of so-called "clean-ups" at that Dept.  Don't just watch your 6...IMHO
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:43:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:59:16 PM EDT
[#17]
one for striker:

we had a couple of troopers here that had these recently

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:12:11 PM EDT
[#18]
funny how the memo in dispatch says stop any NOPD vehical and if they are legit the occupants would not have a bad attitude.   guess they lied
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:31:57 AM EDT
[#19]
My Sgt called me last night and told me that CNN and Fox News has been running a clip involving some looting cops that were supposed to be guarding a hotel or something.  When the news crew films their commander guess who it is???  The beloved Captain I mention above!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:05:43 AM EDT
[#20]
it sucks that LA does not participate in NCIC....thus no warrant (nationally) can be placed on him.  If i am not mistaken.

I'll try and find a copy of the memo about the NOPD cars in dispatch and forward it to you via inter-office mail.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:04:11 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Just curious, is that type of behavior (yelling and cussing and running when stopped) typical of the New Orleans PD?  (only been to New Orleans once, never met any officers down there -- for that matter, I didn't even see any officers)

Not trying to bash, just wondering given some of the other stuff that officers in that department have been doing in the aftermath of the hurricane.

Well I know for a fact--They have the most "FUCKMOUTHES" in the world
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:40:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:05:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
it sucks that LA does not participate in NCIC....thus no warrant (nationally) can be placed on him.  If i am not mistaken.

I'll try and find a copy of the memo about the NOPD cars in dispatch and forward it to you via inter-office mail.

I already know about the memo and after last week's incident, per 8514, it is suspended until further notice.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:22:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
one for striker:

we had a couple of troopers here that had these recently

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/kman84/OHP.jpg

Apparently out west where the world is flat..the RCMP had or have some 5.0 Mustangs for Highway Enforcement. Around here all they have are Crown Vickies and 4x4's.

Ughhh, we have a couple of those in this neck of the woods, some unmarked. I got zipped on the way to the range last summer by a Turbo'd Chev 1500 unmarked.....

The photo Radar is making some areas alot of money that is being put into soem pretty high end equipment.

Edit to say I was zipped for a seat belt violation......  and he did not even ask to see my paperwork for the firearms or their transportation storage (which was all legal, I just thought he would ask what with the ice cream pail of 9mm in the center seat)
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I already know about the memo and after last week's incident, per 8514, it is suspended until further notice.  

Which part of the memo is suspended?  pulling them over? or them having compliant attitudes
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:44:58 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which part of the memo is suspended?  pulling them over? or them having compliant attitudes

Per the captain we DO NOT stop any NOPD marked cars until further notice.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:49:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top