Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2005 10:47:52 AM EDT
Can anyone provide a good source to run a background on me?  I went through the academy self-sponsored and came out in the top 25%.  Took about 10 months to find a reserve deputy spot where I worked about 2 years as a reserve/paid temp.  I left to pursue full time employment outside of LE in my original field of expertise.

I've applied to a zillion places, have had a few interviews here and there, a few oral boards then the door slams shut.  No return calls when everything seems to have gone well.  I can't help but think there's something I'm unaware of floating around.

I'd like to have my second career in LE, but it isn't  happening so far.  Any thoughts on a company or the like to ask ALL questions etc?  ie: really dig deep with phone contacts and poke around.

Thx-
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:45:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Many State agencies have a service, that for a small fee, they will run a complete criminal history for you.  You may also want to run a credit check on yourself as well.

If these two ideas don't produce any results, I would take my question directly to the agencies that "shut the door" on you.  Tell them why your asking and perhaps you will get an answer.

ARE YOU ABSOLOUTLY SURE YOU LISTED EVERTHING HONESTLY ON YOUR APPLICATION?  Many folks think "this" or "that" won't show up only to get shocked that it did.  Perhaps your references are not working out to your benefit?

Good luck...
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:18:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe it's what you're saying in the oral boards that is busting you out.  The words community, serve, help, community, assist, facilitate, community,  mentor, roll-model, community should be coming out of your mouth with frequency....seeing a pattern here?

Ixnay on being uber-tactical dude.  They don't want to hear about how you are a 5th Dan in Malljitsu and go to Gunsite every other week to do Bill Drills on Osama IDPA targets.

Some agencies look real hard at financial responsibility, so check your credit history as well.

Small PDs go kinda ape-shit over lots of nickle-dime crap that larger agencies could care less about.

Case in point:  My agency's current background questionaire is 2 pages long.  We have over 1,000 sworn officers.  Itty-bitty town north of us with about 30 sworn has a background questionaire that is 20+ pages.  I've known guys that got hired on with that PD and had the background investigators call their middle-shcool teachers.

YMMV.

Sheep
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top