Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2005 5:11:40 PM EDT
I'm not in the Law Enforcement profession, but this was a big loss to our community recently...he passed away from brain and other cancer.  He was a close friend of my father's, and his son is currently serving his second tour in Iraq:

Former East Moline police chief Gary W. Sutton, 59, died Monday, at Genesis Medical Center, Illini Campus, Silvis.
Mr. Sutton, an East Moline native, served 26 years with the police department, the final six as chief. He retired in July, 2000.

He later worked as director of Mobile Team Unit 4, a non-profit group that conducts training courses on a wide range of topics for local and state law enforcement officers. He stepped down from the that job in March of this year.

In lieu of flowers and gifts, memorials may be made to the American Cancer Society, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation or to Christ United Methodist Church, East Moline.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:20:27 PM EDT
[#1]
more info

Former East Moline police chief dies at age 59
By Deirdre Cox Baker
Raised in the working-class Watertown area of East Moline, Gary Sutton simply loved to serve his community. The former police chief died Monday at Illini Hospital, Silvis, Ill.

Survivors include his wife, Diana.

“His family was the first thing in his life and then, the second thing, was his job as police chief. He had a great feel for people,” said Bill Ward, former mayor of the city and the man who hired Sutton for the position in 1994. “He was the best appointment I made in eight years as mayor,” he said.

Reggie Freeman grew up with Sutton in Watertown and also served with him on the police force, ascending to the chief’s position after Sutton left the job. “He was well known and respected,” said Freeman, now the regional manager for driver’s services for the Illinois Secretary of State’s office.

Ward described Sutton as a responsive official in the community, and people grew to like the police department because of his personality.

The former mayor said he would, for example, run into a disgruntled resident at a restaurant and get the individual’s name and address on a napkin. He would give the napkin message to Sutton the following day, and the police chief immediately would contact and visit the resident with assurances of police protection.

“He had a positive attitude about every issue brought up,” Ward said. “He just thrived on being positive.”

Sutton took pride in his profession. He helped East Moline in many ways, Ward said, including as the driving force behind a modern radio communications system and in overseeing the technology changes stemming from the turning of the millennium.

Sutton ran for mayor in 2001 but was narrowly defeated in the primary.

Freeman said Sutton will be missed by many in the community, and Ward agreed.

“We lost a good officer today,” the former mayor said. “The Lord takes only the good ones, and he’s taken one of the best. But life will go on, and that’s just the way he’d want it to be.”

Arrangements are pending at Van Hoe Funeral Home Ltd., East Moline.

Deirdre Cox Baker can be contacted at (563) 383-2492 or [email protected].

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:21:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks to all of you members in the LE community for keeping us safe.  More of us appreciate you than you might know.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:44:48 PM EDT
[#3]
My dept  just lost a detective to brain cancer. He was in his late 40s and it took about 6 months to take him.

I did not know Chief Sutton but thename is familiar. My families prayers are with his family. God Bless him.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:02:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:04:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:49:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:06:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:43:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Sorry to hear.

NorCal
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:11:19 AM EDT
[#9]
RIP Brother
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top