Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2005 4:13:15 PM EDT
Haven't been around much lately, and it appears that GD has turned into some sort of HUGE anti-police crapfest melodrama,  so I'm going to post this here.  This might give you some ideas of items needed if you go.

Note,  I never got further into the disaster than  Orange/Beaumont area (dealing with refugees)  This information comes from one of my buds that DID stay 6 days in New Orleans from Day two after Katrina.

First, the smell.  It will make you physically ill.  EVERYTHING will taste like it.  The floodwaters are a mixture of sewage, oil and gasoline from cars and storage tanks, animal and people carcasses, rotten vegetation, various construction debris, and so many unknown chemicals that it ate the paint off their boat.   My buddy wore his gas mask so he could keep his lunch down.

A GPS is mandatory.  There are no more street signs,  few if any remaining landmarks, even no STREETS in places. The old saying about"can't get there from here" will be heard a lot.

Pioneering gear.  Axe, hatchet,  a good stout utility knife, metal pole for a probe,(propellors and submerged cars don't mix) a hand come-along,  a good length of heavy rope, as well as waders.  You will do a lot of detouring around obstacles.

BUG SPRAY!!  The 100% DEET stuff you treat your clothes with is better than the weaker stuff you put on your skin.  Bring a balaclava to keep the flies out of your face and mouth.   Gloves are a must. Cut yourself and an infection is guaranteed. One of the guys had to be evac'ed because of a MAJOR infection on his shin, he stuck himself on a nail thru his waders.  Safety goggles to keep water out of your eyes.  Bleach for a disinfectant, hand sanitizer in squeeze bottles.

Lights.  Several flashlights along with LOTS of batteries.  LED lights are a big plus.   Batteries are also good trading material. (a 4-pack of "D" cells is apparently good enough to rate a kiss and squeeze from an ER nurse)  Please note that lights at night draws fire every time. NVD's are a life saver, even the cheap Russian types you can buy at Academy.  It get's REALLY dark.  Those little family radios are good for commo, although they eat batteries. Keep in mind the bad guys looted those too.

Take more ammo than you can carry.  Lots of folks to give it to.   9mm and .40 predominate in the pistol calibers.  12 Gauge in shotgun.  Rifles are all over the map, most popular hunting calibers. Very few black rifles. (Most EMS/medical staff have at least a pistol/shotgun) Pack it in a WP bag.

(I know this will send the GD nutcases thru the roof)  You will confiscate a lot of guns.  If it's a decent piece with enough ammo, try and give it to one of the rescue workers.  If not, don't bother lugging it around, dissasemble it and throw the pieces into the water. A lot of the long  guns are Walmart types, 30-30 Winchesters, Ruger 10-22's,  Mossberg turkey guns, etc.  You can tell because they smashed up the trigger guard to get the trigger lock off.  Ammo is still usually in the store box.   Most proud owners of those brand new guns were shooting at you last night.    ANY official looking vehicle/group draws fire.

Consider EVERY piece of clothing as disposable.   From socks on up,  throw them away when you leave.  Have one set of "get home" clothes.  

Camelback.  Biggest one you can find.  Take extra care not to contaminate the mouthpiece.  Throw it away too.  

Drugs.  Immodium is your friend.  Everyone in his team had diarrhea by day 3.   Sinus pills and Ibuprofen are very popular, as are anti-acids.  Something to flavor the bottled water is good.  Eye drops for the chemical effects.

Animals.  Shoot them.  Rats, possums, raccoons, nutria, dogs.  They are terrified of a possible Rabies outbreak.   The dogs form packs, eat the corpses, and will show no hesitation in coming after you.  All the small dogs have been eaten already.

As for the situation,  at the time there was NO command or control in place.  The team was fortunate to find a local officer to act as a guide, he had not heard or seen any superiors since BEFORE the hurricane made landfall.  The looting was well underway by then. After losing all the windows in his patrol car the guy took refuge in a hospital with another officer and defended it. He was eventually joined by 4 others. When our people arrived he was down to 4 rounds of ammo in his pistol, carrying a shovel as a primary weapon, and had not slept or eaten.  General opinion is that a fair number of the officer's that "Quit"  are actually dead. (There was no way to leave if they
HAD quit) When the team left the poor guy STILL had not heard from anyone higher than a Sgt, was getting dept info from reporters, and was wearing the clothes the team left behind.

Don't assume that someone that LOOKS like a police officer IS a police officer.  Lots of "Mall Ninja" types are showing up for various security companies, and some just on their own.  A good idea not to turn your back on these.   You'll come to HATE reporters even more than you do now.  My buddy  watched one arrange a body for better photographic effect.  

Don't leave anything ANYWHERE unless it's a secure locked area.  It won't be there after a few minutes. It's my friend's opinion that a goodly amount of the "hurricane deaths"  are actually murders.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Excellent post, bud- thank you!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:52:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Excellent post, bud- thank you!

Especially the " you will confiscate alot of guns" if you mean from looters and bad guys you ought to make that clear, if you mean from law abiding folks you ought to be ashamed..
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:02:36 PM EDT
[#3]
this post will be locked for sure. THIS IS NO LONGER A PROGUN WEB SITE . Only cops should have Guns.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:04:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:05:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:12:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
 You can tell because they smashed up the trigger guard to get the trigger lock off.  Ammo is still usually in the store box.   Most proud owners of those brand new guns were shooting at you last night.    ANY official looking vehicle/group draws fire.

Crowboy,  maybe you should read this part one more time.

For the usual suspects.
Please don't drag the typical GD whackery into my thread.  This post is specifically for folks that may end up in New Orleans in the near future, and is not a repository for whatever little tinfoil bee is buzzing around your head at the moment.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:20:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 You can tell because they smashed up the trigger guard to get the trigger lock off.  Ammo is still usually in the store box.   Most proud owners of those brand new guns were shooting at you last night.    ANY official looking vehicle/group draws fire.

Crowboy,  maybe you should read this part one more time.

Please don't drag the typical GD whackery into my thread.  This post is specifically for folks that may end up in New Orleans in the near future, and is not a repository for whatever little tinfoil bee is buzzing around your head at the moment.

A personal attack on me is off the subject , I specifically ask if you meant bad guys or law abiding folks in regards to " you will confiscate alot of guns" it would be quite obvious that smashed trigger locks are bad guys but you must know by now the firestorm that is raging over confiscating weapons from Lawful owners.. please clarify your statement of "you will confiscate alot of guns"
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:22:54 PM EDT
[#8]
dittos your statment on you will confistcate alot of guns.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Mods,  lock this please.  The info is out and I don't see any reason to give clowns a venue.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:31:43 PM EDT
[#10]
You have got to be shitting me.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:37:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Originator's request.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top