Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2005 9:36:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:41:57 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Those of you in marked vehicles, does it annoy you when you're driving down the highway and the people in front of you see your lightbar and immediately slow down to 5 under the speed limit in all lanes?

Cause it bugs the snot outta me!  

HELL YES!

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:01:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I posed the police theory of rotational inetria.

When a cops has someone pulled over on the side of a busy highway, the earth ceases rotation around its axis.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:25:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, it does.  But it offends me even more when I see a marked unit fly by me on the interstate doing about 20 to 25 over the limit, no emergency lights or siren, only to see him pulling off at the next exit to get to the Wendy's Drive-Thru.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:08:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yes, it does.  But it offends me even more when I see a marked unit fly by me on the interstate doing about 20 to 25 over the limit, no emergency lights or siren, only to see him pulling off at the next exit to get to the Wendy's Drive-Thru.  

I was real hungry  j/k

In my S.O. it is grounds for suspension or even termination. We can only exceed the limit when running Code3 to an incident.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:16:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:27:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Does "Code 3" mean lights on?

Yes.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:38:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
In my S.O. it is grounds for suspension or even termination. We can only exceed the limit when running Code3 to an incident.

Does "Code 3" mean lights on?

Lights, sirens and me scared to death of something running in front of me while heading to a call. I think we have all had a few close calls while running Code3 have we not?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:55:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:22:11 AM EDT
[#9]
My pet peeve is when a trooper has someone pulled over in the southbound lanes of a divided highway.  The trooper is out of the car, there are 3-4 lanes of traffic and A CONCRETE WALL between him and the northbound lanes, but the northbound lanes still slow down to 10 mph below the speed limit.

Dave
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:03:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm sure most of you have been running code 3 somewhere just to have the inattentive driver in front of you lock up their brakes right in front of you causing you to nearly rear end them, THEN they slow down to 5mph below the speed limit because they are afraid to pass the car that they are beside.  

I'm not saying I do this, but sometimes it's easier to just drive fast on larger roads like interstates and 4 lane highways,( not in town) with out the lights and siren so  you do not illicit crazy reactions from the motoring public.  It's a fine line to walk, liability for not running code 3 but exceeding the speed limit or going code 3 and having to dodge cars or hitting them for  locking up their brakes right in front of you.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:16:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Hell yeah it does.  If you ride their ass they usually get out of the way real quick.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:34:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I hate when I'm on the freeway in the inner city and some dumbass pulls beside me at 60 mph, rolls down the passenger door window and demands directions!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#13]
+1

Every time I have a ride-along, they always remark about 3 things.

1. How many drivers won't pull up right next to us at a stop light.
2. How many will go slightly below the speed limit if we are beghind them
3. How many do not get out of the way when we are running code 1 (for us, code 1= lights & siren, code 2= get there asap without lights & siren, code 3= get there whenever you can).

Quoted:
Hell yeah it does.  If you ride their ass they usually get out of the way real quick.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:50:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:50:39 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'm sure most of you have been running code 3 somewhere just to have the inattentive driver in front of you lock up their brakes right in front of you causing you to nearly rear end them, THEN they slow down to 5mph below the speed limit because they are afraid to pass the car that they are beside.  

I'm not saying I do this, but sometimes it's easier to just drive fast on larger roads like interstates and 4 lane highways,( not in town) with out the lights and siren so  you do not illicit crazy reactions from the motoring public.  It's a fine line to walk, liability for not running code 3 but exceeding the speed limit or going code 3 and having to dodge cars or hitting them for  locking up their brakes right in front of you.

Amen. And then they call and complain on "that officer who appeared out of nowwhere." Turn the radio down, get off the phone, check your mirrios and get out of the way....it might be your wife I'm off to save.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:05:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Wrong forum, dude.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
My biggest complaint is when I'm driving down the highway, and hit a "rolling road block" caused by the asshats in the fast lane not wanting to pass the State Trooper that's going 5MPH under the speed limit in the far-right lane.  So I'm stuck there, wanting to do about 80MPH, but the fuckers are doing 60MPH because they're scared to pass the trooper that's going UNDER the speed limit.  Why are people so stupid that they think they're gonna get pulled over for doing THE SPEED LIMIT?

Is it wrong for me to flash my brights and honk my horn at them (not the Troopers, the idiots), then pass them on the right and flip them off as I go by?

Morons.

Absolutely not. I purposely will get in the right lane and be 5 under when on interstates so that traffic WILL pass me and not jam up behind me. My other option is driving 15-20 over so that I stay with traffic. Otherwise I end up creating the gridlock monster. When someone finally passes me by when I'm -5, I usually toot the horn and give them the thumbs up and a friendly wave as they go by. All of a sudden the rest of the flock decides to follow him and not me.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
My daily driver is an ex RCMP cruiser..bought because I wanted a real wheel..er  rear wheel drive car and I got it cheap.
The RCMP and municipal police haven't used Caprices since at least 99 and I still get people slowing down in front of me, trying to sneak their seat belts on,etc,etc.
I think if I painted it neon pink with yellow polka dots they would still drive slow in front of me..

Do it,  If you do it, and post a pic of you driving it while in uniform, and It's not a photoshop, I'll pay for your upgrade to platinum.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:14:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Wrong forum, dude.

eh?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:26:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I completely shut down in school and construction zones.  Getting there a second faster in most cases isn't worth some driver freaking and killing a kid or construction worker.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:45:21 AM EDT
[#21]
My pet peeve:

You've got someone stopped on the right shoulder and the cars keep whizzing by you in the right lane despite have the left one or more lanes open. Doing so will get you a ticket and a big ass chewing in MN but people still do not move over. Some have been a bit too close if ya know what i mean.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:58:25 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My daily driver is an ex RCMP cruiser..bought because I wanted a real wheel..er  rear wheel drive car and I got it cheap.
The RCMP and municipal police haven't used Caprices since at least 99 and I still get people slowing down in front of me, trying to sneak their seat belts on,etc,etc.
I think if I painted it neon pink with yellow polka dots they would still drive slow in front of me..

Do it,  If you do it, and post a pic of you driving it while in uniform, and It's not a photoshop, I'll pay for your upgrade to platinum.

Yeah... he needs that.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:04:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:53:20 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I completely shut down in school and construction zones.  Getting there a second faster in most cases isn't worth some driver freaking and killing a kid or construction worker.

Absolutely, I agree 100%.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:50:05 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Amen. And then they call and complain on "that officer who appeared out of nowwhere." Turn the radio down, get off the phone, check your mirrios and get out of the way....it might be your wife I'm off to save.

Maybe that's why they're pulling the roling road-blocks.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:52:44 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Those of you in marked vehicles, does it annoy you when you're driving down the highway and the people in front of you see your lightbar and immediately slow down to 5 under the speed limit in all lanes?

Doesn't bother me at all until I'm on an emergency call and can't get them out of my way fast enough. People don't like to pay/get tickets. Normally we write tickets. Its just common sense that they would slow down to avoid that. They don't know what your thinking and everyone thinks that the cops are looking at just them.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:06:48 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Here in Cali we call it:

"Black & White fever !"
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:33:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top