Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2005 9:55:47 AM EDT
Ive herd  reports the crime rate in the Astrodome area of Houston has skyrocketed sicne the evacuees came to town. Robberies, burglaries, assaults... all of them up significantly. Any of you guys who live in Houston hear anything about that?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:37:40 PM EDT
[#1]
My side of town has really not seen anything unusual.  Other than the welfare office that is now a FEMA office nothing has really gone on.  There have been a bunch of fights and such last week and weekend.  Haven't had any problems on my shift that I know of the last few days.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:32:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Not a Houston cop but I am working at Reliant City (Astrodome Complex) and working with a bunch of HPD officers.  As of the 7th of Sept, there were only 37 reported crimes inside Reliant City.  Outside there is significantly more.  A resturant about 200 yards from a praking lot we were working in with tons of HPD, Texas State Troopers and National Guard was robbed overnight a few nights ago.  Granted these guys were here to protect us, but its kinda funny.  The hotel we are in (about 5 blocks from the City) is having major security issues.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:09:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:55:28 PM EDT
[#4]
My city (not near houston) has taken in about 350-500 displaced persons at a Baptist church camp outside of town. When they arrived the camp collected each person's name and DOB to run them for criminal backgrounds.  Among the common crimes (theft, DWI, etc) there were more than a few that had violent crimes, rape, assault, aggrevated assault, aggrevated kidnapping, agg assault on a police officer and a couple for attempted murder of a LEO, and several sex offenders.

So far we have had no problems w/ anyone that is displaced in our town.  The city is taking 100,000 $ out of our budget to pay for apartments to house these folks in if the want to.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:59:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My city (not near houston) has taken in about 350-500 displaced persons at a Baptist church camp outside of town. When they arrived the camp collected each person's name and DOB to run them for criminal backgrounds.  Among the common crimes (theft, DWI, etc) there were more than a few that had violent crimes, rape, assault, aggrevated assault, aggrevated kidnapping, agg assault on a police officer and a couple for attempted murder of a LEO, and several sex offenders.

So far we have had no problems w/ anyone that is displaced in our town.  The city is taking 100,000 $ out of our budget to pay for apartments to house these folks in if the want to.

Good luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top